Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    11/23/2009 11:51pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ADM View Post
    I'm not writing off Sanchez, if he comes in with a better game plan then Florian (sigh) then I can see him pushing the fight beyond BJ's cardio and may be able to win it from there.
    I would give welterweight Diego a good chance of keeping the pace high with crazy scrambles and eventually gassing Penn out and capitalizing.

At lightweight, however, Diego hasn't shown the kind of pace or cardio he had at 170. Against Stevenson he fought at a much slower pace, got the worst of the (very brief) grappling scrambles, and was actually getting outboxed in round 3. Against Guida, he gassed pretty badly at the end of round 2 and in round 3, and basically only won because he essentially killed Guida in round 1.

Maybe in this fight he'll have adjusted to the cut better and gotten his welterweight cardio back, but I wouldn't make any bets on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Florian actually had a really good game plan. He tried to do what GSP did, which is force BJ to fight the clinch against the cage until his arms wear out and he can't stop the takedown. The problem was, BJ learned from his fight against GSP and worked out his arms.
    Actually Florian's plan wasn't to gas BJ's arms out (which should be obvious since Florian didn't actually do much pummeling against the cage) Keith Florian has said in interviews that the game plan didn't involve BJ's arms and "was directed at a different body part". Based on what KeiFlo was saying to him in between rounds it sounds like the plan was to bury Kenny's shoulder in BJ's sternum to try to restrict his breathing and gas him out.

Either way it was a garbage plan; Florian doesn't have the physical tools that GSP does to enact that kind of strategy. Before the fight I assumed Florian was planning on using kicks to the body and legs from the outside to gas BJ out and limit his mobility; I gave him a decent chance to win doing that. After watching the fight and seeing BJ time his leg kicks and repeatedly rattle him with counter shots, and then take him down the first time he tried, I don't think there's any gameplan that lets Florian win that fight.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2009 7:16am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ, Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm calling Sanchez by 4th round TKO. It's his time.

Posted On:
    11/24/2009 7:57am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJ "The Prodigy" Penn vs Diego "Nightmare" Sanchez - Lightweight Title Fight - BJ will win his usual one title defence every 18 months. Keeping the lightweight division nice and boring. 'Come to the UFC Aooookii!'

Frank Mir vs Cheick Kongo - Kongo to win by Frank Mir having delusions or grandeur and deciding to stand and bang with a guy famous for having no takedown defence.

Jon Fitch vs Mike Pierce
    Kenny "KenFlo" Florian vs Clay "The Carpenter" Guida

Not that excited about this card, although i would like to see Mir and BJ both lose purely because they come across as douchebags.

Posted On:
    11/24/2009 8:02am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fighting Cephalopod: Actually Sir those reasons are fairly accurate ... however, Sanchez pushes the pace in fights, he goes in and MAKES people fight (Couture does the same). Penn won't be able to pace himself, at least that's how I see it. And how I see it is that Penn won't have the cardio of Sanchez.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    11/24/2009 8:25am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lucio Linhares, because he spends most of his time now in Finland.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2009 9:58am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was hoping to go to this cos the FedEx Forum is only a couple of miles from my house, but $$$ not good, and the seats I can afford I can't see from.

Penn FTW, again. Unfortunately.

Hendricks (+?) might be making an appearance at an after party my mate is hosting, so I shall do my best to get obligatory "brohan" style photos and post 'em. That and the 50,000 roided rednecks in TapouT shirts looking for fights in downtown Mtown...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/24/2009 2:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Paul "The Headhunter" Buentello vs Stefan "Skyscraper" Struve- Struve drops to his guard and armbars Buentello while he's standing five feet away.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    11/24/2009 2:19pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ADM View Post
    Fighting Cephalopod: Actually Sir those reasons are fairly accurate ... however, Sanchez pushes the pace in fights, he goes in and MAKES people fight (Couture does the same). Penn won't be able to pace himself, at least that's how I see it. And how I see it is that Penn won't have the cardio of Sanchez.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Cephalopod View Post
    I would give welterweight Diego a good chance of keeping the pace high with crazy scrambles and eventually gassing Penn out and capitalizing.

At lightweight, however, Diego hasn't shown the kind of pace or cardio he had at 170. Against Stevenson he fought at a much slower pace, got the worst of the (very brief) grappling scrambles, and was actually getting outboxed in round 3. Against Guida, he gassed pretty badly at the end of round 2 and in round 3, and basically only won because he essentially killed Guida in round 1.

Maybe in this fight he'll have adjusted to the cut better and gotten his welterweight cardio back, but I wouldn't make any bets on it.
    Reading comprehension.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

My pleasure.

Posted On:
    11/24/2009 2:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: yang taichi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kambei Shimada View Post
    Frank Mir vs Cheick Kongo - Kongo to win by Frank Mir having delusions or grandeur and deciding to stand and bang with a guy famous for having no takedown defence.
    Or is Frank Mir going to win by Kongo trying to jits with a world class grappler.

Find out in our exciting next issue.
    Sumus extra manum tuam.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    11/24/2009 3:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kambei Shimada View Post
    BJ will win his usual one title defence every 18 months.
    The BJ Penn who has fought as many times as GSP in the last year and a half, or a different one?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast