Sponsored Links Spacer Image

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/20/2009 4:55am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    getting out of the way then coming back to counter is one thing you can do. works well for guys like Machida. for the rest of us who are mortal this isnt always an option, knowing how to block and land a punch at the same time is pretty useful.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2009 5:11am

Style: fangfu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Like I said earlier.....

Dont take advice from people who have gotten hit so many times. Yes blocking is useful...I dont recall anyone saying it wasnt. Yes I need to block at times too because I get lazy. That is why @ this moment I am taking my cardio to higher levels so I can use more footwork and not get lazy. You say Machida and Silva. Machida is elusive from years of Shotokan and point sparring. The idea of getting in and out and scoring is the common goal in Karate and I spar a Karate sensei who is very hard to make contact with, which is why I usually got for a takedown instead of trying to hit him. Anderson Silva is a blackbelt in TKD, they fight with their hands down because the idea is that even if you block a roundhouse you can still get your arm or hands broken. Most mma guys studied muay thai, which emphasizes lots of iron body conditioning so they can withstand bones hitting bones.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2009 5:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkdeez View Post
    Anderson Silva is a blackbelt in TKD, they fight with their hands down because the idea is that even if you block a roundhouse you can still get your arm or hands broken.
    They fight with their hands down because the ruleset in TKD prohbits head punches. As far as the whole "keep your hands down to protect your arms" idea, please write it on a candle and insert it back up your arsehole where it came from.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2009 8:51am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dont take advice from people who have gotten hit so many times. Yes blocking is useful...I dont recall anyone saying it wasnt. Yes I need to block at times too because I get lazy. That is why @ this moment I am taking my cardio to higher levels so I can use more footwork and not get lazy. You say Machida and Silva. Machida is elusive from years of Shotokan and point sparring. The idea of getting in and out and scoring is the common goal in Karate and I spar a Karate sensei who is very hard to make contact with, which is why I usually got for a takedown instead of trying to hit him. Anderson Silva is a blackbelt in TKD, they fight with their hands down because the idea is that even if you block a roundhouse you can still get your arm or hands broken. Most mma guys studied muay thai, which emphasizes lots of iron body conditioning so they can withstand bones hitting bones.

Well Anderson Silva is also a freak of nature who able to judge timing, foot work and reaction only after examining his opponent for 1 minute. Just cause you train similar styles to Anderson, doesn't mean you will ever fight like him. As for his TKD black belt, I'm sure he got it in a year or two and then began studying his boxing and MT, which he is very very accomplished at. I really don't see any TKD in his fights, mostly boxing/MT.

As for him keeping his hands down.... well when you've mastered foot work, timing and the reading of your opponent like anderson then you can put your hands in your own back pocket and you'll still kick ass.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2009 8:59am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    they fight with their hands down because the idea is that even if you block a roundhouse you can still get your arm or hands broken.
    This could be the most retarded thing I have ever read on this site...and I've been frequenting wing chun threads since 2002.

Don't block the kick b/c it might break your arm.

If the kick is going to break your arm, imagine what it is going to do to your face.

Good stuff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2009 10:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL yeah NO.. not the arm no! I've seen someone tan sao a roundhouse kick that was awesome, luckily the Thai boxer also did wc and didn't throw full power.

I don't think there's any conditioning you can do to withstand a shin to the face, I'm still fairly new to muay Thai so maybe it's the super secret advanced ****.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2009 10:45am

Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    They fight with their hands down because the ruleset in TKD prohbits head punches.
    WARNING: possible bullshido
    The truth (as told via second hand information by a friend who had picture taken with the founder of TKD, gen choi, and claimed to train under him) is far more shitty.

The real reason is that its harder for judges to judge contact and hence award points. It also removes the possibility of claiming foul if the kick hits the elbow or vice versa, elbow block/hitting kick.

I literally got sick to my stomach when I heard it. (I was pretty big fan/supporter of TKD at the time circa 1996)

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/20/2009 11:02am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You aren't the only one that heard that story.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2009 11:07am

Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    You aren't the only one that heard that story.
    That is just sick. To put the safety of the fighters, practitioners (who think its a good idea for no guard) and the future of the art as a self-defence system at risk just to make the work of four men (the judges) easier is just so unethical it should be criminal... :cussing:

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    12/20/2009 6:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** me, you are a complete idiot. and i dont recall mentioning silva at all, but then since you are such a fucking idiot, thats not surprising.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast