Posted On:
    12/15/2009 12:29pm

Style: Fitness-Fu and Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Carwin vs Mir? Stay tuned!

I read this on 5 oz of Pain and had to share:

Shane Carwin: ‘I would be honored to fight [Frank Mir]‘

With Frank Mir’s 72-second destruction of Cheick Kongo fresh in fans’ minds, and the lingering health issues of current heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar still looming over his future in the sport, it’s only natural for talk to have turned towards the possibility of Mir locking horns with top contender, Shane Carwin.

Carwin, stuck in limbo while waiting to fight Lesnar, has not stepped into the Octagon since scoring a TKO win over Gabriel Gonzaga this past March at UFC 96. The 11-0 powerhouse who has yet to see the second-round in his career recently blogged his thoughts on Mir’s victory at UFC 107, the upcoming bout between highly ranked heavyweights Cain Velasquez and ”Minotauro” Nogueira, and what his plans are for the immediate future…

On Mir vs. Kongo: First of all I thought Frank had the MMA advantage in this fight. Kongo is a great fighter but Frank has been in the biggest fights of the UFC’s history and a three round co-main event is just another day in the office for Frank. I was surprised that he used his striking to set up his submission but I was not surprised he submitted Kongo. It is very hard to judge much of anything when a fighter wins so dominantly.

Much respect to Frank Mir who displayed why he is one of the best heavyweights ever.

On Velasquez vs. Nogueira: “My initial thoughts were how would Cain vs. Mir look? Cain had trouble with Kongo and he is supposed to be one of the elite contenders. Will Nogueira’s experience be too much for Cain?

A win like Frank had last night surely propels him to share the top of the division with Nog, Cain and myself. If beating Kongo was enough to propel (Velasquez) to number two contender status, destroying Kongo might edge Cain out. What is more compelling is that Mir made it out of that fight injury free so not only is he at the top of the division he is likely ready to fight sooner than later.”

On fighting Mir: “The main question I am getting is would I fight Frank? The answer is easy – YES. I am not a fighter who decides who he fights. I fight who I am told to fight. I like it that way. I am not trying to build a legacy I am trying to fight the best fighters in the world and determine where I fit in. Mir is a multiple-time Champion who has been counted out more than Mike Tyson to only find himself right back at the top. He is a LEGEND of the sport and I would be honored to fight him.”

On his current status: “My situation is this. When Brock was finally down and out with his illness, UFC matchmaker Joe Silva said to rehab my injuries and get better. I am doing just that (no surgery was required) and feel as if I am getting better. I am sparring and grappling again which are the big steps in getting in fight shape for any of the top heavyweights they put in front of me.

On February 11th my wife Lani is expecting our first child together, (I have a son we take care of) a girl named Lexi. This has been a tough pregnancy that has kept us on edge throughout the term. This is why I was unable to attend the fight with Cain in Australia that was offered.

In essence I have to fit into the UFC’s plans. I am waiting to see what they have planned for the division and where I fit into the overall plans. I am getting better every day, training hard and I know my time will come.”
    I have to say Carwin is a straight class act, no trash talking and respect all around.

Carwin is the #1 contender; having said that I for one would like to see this match up and due to Lesnar being out b/c of his illness, it makes sense.

Carwin and Mir are both healthy; schedule this fight after the Cain/Nog fight.

Winner between Cain/Nog takes on the winner between Carwin/Mir.

That winner either gets the title shot if Lesnar is up and around, or gets the title if Lesnar can't fight anymore.

Another match up I'd like to see down the road in the HW division is Duffee and Juior Del Santos.

Original link:

http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2009/12/...ght-frank-mir/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2009 12:54pm

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that would be a cool idea. Something along the lines of what you proposed could be implemented soon in the event that another interim HW champion has to be coronated if Brock is unable to defend the real title due to health.

I am definitely looking forward to seeing Todd Duffee's second fight ... hopefully he will last longer than seven seconds!

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    12/15/2009 1:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    With Mir's recent move to the 265 limit, are we beginning to see the change of archetype that Rogan alluded to when Brock stepped on the scene? Big Nog is still up there, of course, but he's looking more and more like the exception to the rule of size and strength.

Posted On:
    12/15/2009 1:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was saying this same thing the other day. I definitely want to see Carwin and Mir go at it. Has anyone heard an update on Lesner?
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    12/15/2009 3:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the new standard is that a 225-pound heavyweight has to work with Mark Philippi (don't know how much the MMA world knows about him, but he's a legend in strongman) to challenge for the top spot, then yes, I think you've seen the shift happen. Frank and Mark seem to think they can add that kind of power without hurting Frank's skills. I hope they're right, because he'll be a monster.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/15/2009 3:29pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn it Lesnar, get healthy already. I would much rather see Carwin v Lesnar.

Posted On:
    12/15/2009 3:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Clown of Bethlehem View Post
    If the new standard is that a 225-pound heavyweight has to work with Mark Philippi (don't know how much the MMA world knows about him, but he's a legend in strongman) to challenge for the top spot, then yes, I think you've seen the shift happen. Frank and Mark seem to think they can add that kind of power without hurting Frank's skills. I hope they're right, because he'll be a monster.

Oh yeah! Been watching him for years on strongman! He is a beast. And his programs are some of the best in the world, especially for people who have to be tested for roids. Mir did the right thing going to him. I like the heavyweights like this. Big and athletic, not just big and fat.

Good stuff!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2009 4:30pm

Style: Shaolin/Judo/JuJitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mir looked pretty good Saturday night. Not flabby and slow. Don't care for all of his trash talk, but damn he looked good. Have to say I was surprised when he went over to check on Kongo after the fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2009 9:16pm

Style: Over substance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And just like that, the HW is the big draw. I would like to see another interim belt until Lesnar is healthy. Winner of Velasquez-Big nog vs winner of Mir-Carwin.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    12/16/2009 12:15am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Clown of Bethlehem View Post
    Mir's always been a 245 lb. heavyweight if not slightly bigger. Randy Couture is a 225 lb heavyweight.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast