Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/22/2009 11:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    Would you also say that racism or neo-nazism are sicknesses, not opinions? I'm not trying to troll (in this post, anyway) I would like to hear your opinion though.

IMHO, the whole "alcoholism-addiction-Nazism-child abuse-etc is a sickness" arguement kind of lets the people who engage in such activity off the hook, you know, "well, I'm not a bad person-I'm just sick". But that's just me.
    I think that by definition homophobia is sick: Merriam Webster, : irrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals.

I don't see alcoholism primarily as a disease. In the last stages of course delerium tremens and such are medical conditions, but I see that as a moral choice. As a friend of mine (many years in AA) says to the beggars in San Francisco, "Go to a meeting."

A junkie friend of mine said that he has "demons" to deal with. It is helpful to him to personify his addiction, and it helps him confront his problems. In his case I like the definition of disease helping him to fight, rather than it being an excuse.

Nazis, at least the American ones, have significant psychological problems, but no, in of itself it is not a disease. And **** perverts. If I can control it, so can they! I did confront a group of Nazis at a Gay rally years ago. I was holding the hand of my beautiful three year old hapa haole daughter. I asked them what would they do to her? Would you send her to death camp? Later I heard that one of the younger ones quit - he'd never had to face what it really meant.

PS Don't you love it when someone (who you think is about 15) calls you a twit?

Vince, I'm glad we can communicate and have some respect - I realize that I may have made a dumb post, but I see lots of suffering. One of my good buddies is gay and like he said, "Life style choice, right! **** you! You think I want to be a member of a persecuted minority who has a good chance of catching horrible diseases?" In high school he was blocked by a group of football goons on the stairs. They wouldn't let him go down, sat there side by side. So he kicked one in the back of his neck as hard as he could. They never fucked with him again.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 11/22/2009 11:55pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    11/23/2009 7:19am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dethklok View Post
    Alcoholism and addiction are diseases you fucking twit. The others may not be but the first two are.
    Wow, that's a lot of vitriol you're spewing there for something that is definitely open to discussion. First, Vince said "sickness" not disease. So, you may want to stop putting words in his mouth. Second, though Alcoholism has been identitfied as a "disease" in the mental health field, when most people hear the word they think of things like cancer. Alcoholism/addiction does not equate to something like cancer (unless, I suppose you are talking about lung cancer from years of smoking, and even then there are important distinctions). Hence it is not a "disease" in the sense most people think of it. And in truth, if Addiction issues and Cancer both equally fit the definition of disease, I'd say the definition is so broad as to have made it useless.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/23/2009 9:16am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED View Post
    Wow, that's a lot of vitriol you're spewing there for something that is definitely open to discussion. First, Vince said "sickness" not disease. So, you may want to stop putting words in his mouth. Second, though Alcoholism has been identitfied as a "disease" in the mental health field, when most people hear the word they think of things like cancer. Alcoholism/addiction does not equate to something like cancer (unless, I suppose you are talking about lung cancer from years of smoking, and even then there are important distinctions). Hence it is not a "disease" in the sense most people think of it. And in truth, if Addiction issues and Cancer both equally fit the definition of disease, I'd say the definition is so broad as to have made it useless.
    Well, since can of worms has been opened, let's pull out the anal examination of this;

Homophobia, amongst other phobia, has been theorized as a disease along with alcoholism. Unlike Alcoholism, phobias have not been officially declared as a disease, although my information might be dated. The main argument of calling alcoholism a disease is based on genetics. The ability to get cancer is considered genetic in nature as is the ability to become alcoholic. Some people can go their whole life smoking and never acquire cancer. Some people can drink their whole life and go cold turkey.

Others who do not have the genetic disposition to acquire these diseases can increase the chances through poor life habits.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2009 10:39am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait a minute, guys. We're supposed to accept the account in the video without question, just because the alleged discrimination took place in South Carolina?

Nobody thinks the story may have been exaggerated, embellished, etc.?

I think an interview with at least one of the "bigots" would have greatly benefited the film. It certainly would have made it smell a little less like BS to me.

That said, I think my favorite part of the story was when the guy got "outed" online. Will the homophobic bigot cruising the gay websites please step forward?

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    11/23/2009 11:11am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not too fond of the film either.

I think people who complain about such things train too little, or in a bad way.

If I engage in a contact situation in training, it's about simulating or applying violence. The point where this could be uncomfortable or sexually arousing, I don't get it, even in theory.

If anyone feels turned on while I dislocate your shoulder or punch him in the face, regardless of sexual orientation, such a person scares me.

As far as rolling with homos, the only distinctive difference I can point out is that they usually have a better body hygiene than most heterosexual men, and thus, training with them was way more comfortable.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2009 5:57pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^Yeah, idgaf about someone's orientation either, and I've met my fair share of bigots and stuff too, so I highly doubt there was not one person willing to stand up for the guy in the youtube vid, but I think the vid would've definitely benefitted from interviews with others in the gym the persecution took place.

Also, went to the site and watched the trailer, and can't help but feel that the filmmaker's trying to say that wrestling itself is homoerotic, which is something I took some minor offense too, as I'm sure most of us got into wrestling for reasons completely unrelated to our libido. >_>

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2009 7:53pm

Style: MT, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannon_6 View Post
    That said, I think my favorite part of the story was when the guy got "outed" online. Will the homophobic bigot cruising the gay websites please step forward?
    A quick google search of somebody's name would bring up the sites that they are mentioned on....That's what google does. Said homophobic bigot might not necessarily be cruising gay websites, so to speak, they could have just googled the name of a guy who won a grappling tournament.

Googling "Cannon_6" for example, brings up posts from Sherdog, Muaythailand.com, and Bullshido.

There's also been several cases of blatantly homophobic closet homosexual people; some anti-gay marriage republican politicians come to mind.
    Last edited by P-Dub; 11/23/2009 7:59pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2009 8:13pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is this "google" of which you speak?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2009 8:21pm

Style: MT, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going to say that homophobic bigots could bing his name, but that doesn't have the same ring to it.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    11/23/2009 10:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    **** Alcoholic's Anonymous.
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011121319 ... LastLast