Sponsored Links Spacer Image

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    11/21/2009 9:20am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I told him you don't have time for sexual thoughts while you're rolling. People are trying to lock your arm out, choke you out and flip you.
    This. There is nothing sexual about grappling. The only people who sexualize it are immature idiots (ie. the people who call grapplling gay, and most Gina Carano fans) or fetish freaks (matbattle).

Posted On:
    11/21/2009 10:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED View Post
    Gina Carano fans
    Why must you single me out, you insensitive hater?
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

Dipshit

Posted On:
    11/21/2009 11:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    As we voice our disdain on this thread you do realize that we've trollshidoed the only disdaining opinion? I vote we let the guy return.
    I missed that one, Karik?
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    11/21/2009 12:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sibs & LF: Thanks for the clarification.

As to the matter itself, obviously complete BS; in fact, the list of the gyms that discriminate against gays should be published somewhere.

Posted On:
    11/21/2009 12:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
    Sibs & LF: Thanks for the clarification.

As to the matter itself, obviously complete BS; in fact, the list of the gyms that discriminate against gays should be published somewhere.
    That could get tricky. By what standards and who gets to choose/decide?

Of course, since I'm in SF I have gay friends and some of them into martial arts and even fighting stuff. They will frequently train together on their own, there have been times when I've been invited to work with them and there isn't too much difference in the overall training environment. From what I've seen, it's the usual gay jokes and stupid innuendo at most gyms but, if you've grown up in the "silent" gay minority, you're going o mostly ignore his chatter. The seperate training is a place to just cut out that crap or just feel more comfortable that everyone knows and doesn't give a ****.

I guess the hard part is the trust issue. One of the bigger Gracie Academies that I've trained at sometimes is a plethora of toolish-dude behavior, but none of it is malignant or has any ill-intent. But if you were new to that place and gay, it'd be real tough to think you could "trust" people to know.
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Posted On:
    11/21/2009 1:23pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's too bad for the guy in the video - nobody should have to go through that kind of discrimination. The schools and tournament people are probably going off community peer pressure, and the South like S. Carolina and surrounding area is not exactly known for it's progressive attitudes towards discrimination. **** they're still having issues with race there.

That said, if this thread was on the UG we'd already have had at least a dozen disguised matbattle links. So in the spirit of that, here you go:

The "REAL" BJJ

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2009 6:44pm

Style: Parkour, BJJ and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that the majority of the grappling community (I'm talking about Australia here, as I live here) are okay grappling with women and homosexuals, because as has been previously stated, there's no time to consider anything other than winning.

However, the 'grappling is sex' opinions often come from those outside the world of grappling, or those who are inexperienced. They don't always, and in most cases, don't relate to homesexuals, merely the idea of sexual attraction during grappling. And since THAT is a majority there will continue to be discrimination against gay men and co-ed grappling classes.

A lot of gyms offer 'Women only grappling' so the stigma isn't always against homesexuals, but from women against men and vice versa.

It's a nasty mess of a situation, and I don't really see a way out, until the world starts not seeing all as equal, but just plain not noticing the distinction.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/21/2009 7:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Huh, we have a gay guy in our club. I do BJJ once a week and we have one openly gay guy, Peter. He's a nice guy, real easy to get along with. Anyhow for his birthday we bought him a pink gi as a joke. We thought it was funny, he thought it was funny but I can imagine some people being upset about about that. In some cases they would be right to be upset about it. Those would be the cases where it would be a sort of you fucking ****** gesture but for us it was just messing about and we didn't have a funnier idea for a birthday gift so that's what we went with. He wears the pink gi in class sometimes, if he hasn't washed his regular suit, but he has never worn it at a tournament. Maybe there is a rule against that (relative newb) but I wonder if its because he knows that the fucking ****** (that fucking heterosexual doesn't work as an insult) crowd would go nuts and he couldn't be bothered dealing with it. I hope that's not it but it definitely could be. Anyhow it makes me wonder if we did the wrong thing singling him out as a gay man (we have no women in our class). How do you guys deal with this? I'd like to think that if we knew someone was a crazy anime nut we would do something similar but you can't get Naruto uniforms (I hope) so we generally go with a bottle of whiskey or buying beers.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/21/2009 7:49pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wonder if the homophobic guys are just annoyed that the gay guy doesn't find them attractive.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2009 8:54pm

Style: Grappling & Lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    how many BJJ Black belts do you have?
    Aside from our instructor?

Three that regularly come in and two that only train once in a while as of recently.

Relevance?
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast