Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 3:47pm

Style: BJJ/MuayThai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now, I understand the South has a stereotype as being anti-gay, so hearing that this was in South Carolina didn't really surprise me that much.

When they say they contacted all those BJJ schools, and basically ONE agreed to be on the documentary as a good rolemodel...that surprised me.

My thoughts basically echo the thoughts of previous posts. It doesn't matter if the guy/girl I'm rolling with likes guys or girls: it's not a sexual act.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 5:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not only is it not sex, it's...the opposite. Fighting. Safe, friendly, cooperative and consensual fighting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 5:12pm

Style: Weightlifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ive got to say i would feel quite uncomfortable with Elton John in my guard

Would certainly be looking for the sweep as quick as possible

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 5:26pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was once turned on while grappling a donkey....

MMA coaches are intolerant to gays thats just fact.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 5:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That story's really heartbreaking.

I can say with certainty that such a thing would not happen in my school. That's terrible.

It does seem like some people get a little reactionary homophobia going on sometimes though. To totally clear the air so everyone knows they're not gay after rolling around with sweaty men for an hour, of course. Most people seem to be content getting a laugh out of how sexual (and therefore gay most of the time) it looks in general.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 5:48pm

Style: Grappling & Lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor_Zedge View Post
    That story's really heartbreaking.

I can say with certainty that such a thing would not happen in my school. That's terrible.
    My BJJ instructor is a devout Catholic and never once has he brought his religious beliefs into the school.

Not too long ago we had a guy that was a former convict that had turned his life around (dude was in a biker gang and had tattoos EVERYWHERE - even on his forehead and a lot of people judge him straight off the bat). He was a real nice guy and ended up quitting for whatever reason (got his blue belt and pretty much stopped coming). We have a couple of guys that are actively serving in the military and one of our black belts is a cop; never once was there a problem between them inside or outside of class.

My point is, even though my teacher airs on the side of conservative and is deeply religious, it never gets in the way of our training. Any school that discriminates like that is ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, if you have someone come in that's been convicted for child molestation or rape or a seriously sickening crime, by all means the right to refuse service makes sense, but for something like being gay? C'mon. That's batshit insane.

Okay, I'm done :deadhorse

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 6:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo1717 View Post
    My BJJ instructor is a devout Catholic and never once has he brought his religious beliefs into the school.

Not too long ago we had a guy that was a former convict that had turned his life around (dude was in a biker gang and had tattoos EVERYWHERE - even on his forehead and a lot of people judge him straight off the bat). He was a real nice guy and ended up quitting for whatever reason (got his blue belt and pretty much stopped coming). We have a couple of guys that are actively serving in the military and one of our black belts is a cop; never once was there a problem between them inside or outside of class.

My point is, even though my teacher airs on the side of conservative and is deeply religious, it never gets in the way of our training. Any school that discriminates like that is ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, if you have someone come in that's been convicted for child molestation or rape or a seriously sickening crime, by all means the right to refuse service makes sense, but for something like being gay? C'mon. That's batshit insane.

Okay, I'm done :deadhorse
    how many BJJ Black belts do you have?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 6:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cant the guy sue the schools and tourneys for excluding him because hes gay?

This also brings up the point of females in bjj, should they train/do bjj because they are going against a guy? No, and it works the same with gays.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 6:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor_Zedge View Post
    How sure are you really?
    Have you ever had an openly gay student in your school?
    How aware are you of the political views of your training partners? Religious?

Frankly, I was not that surprised that the filmmaker couldn't find schools to talk to him. Look around your gym sometime.

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 6:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sad. Very sad.

I've been told similar things happening in Brazilian clubs.
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast