Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/23/2009 12:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Strict liability laws are awful. The US has some. Many statutory rape laws, for example, are strict liability. It doesn't matter if you thought the person you were having sex with was of the age of consent, if his or her parents told you, if he or she produced seemingly legal ID etc.

As far as dethlok's question—the US consulate would likely intervene in that hypothetical, but yes, if you're just wandering around in Country X you are under their laws even if you don't know anything about them. That's Foreign Travel 101.

Infidel

Posted On:
    11/23/2009 7:15pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In Canada there was a gun amnesty. Not sure the exact timings but basically say from 9am to 5 pm you could come and turn in unwanted guns that werent registered and police would destroy them to get them off the streets (actually police usually turn around and resell them, anyways)
    Buddy shows up at 830am with a gun to turn in- blamo he gets changed for possessing whatever.

Shitty deal
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    11/23/2009 8:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. Even Chicago won't do that.

Well, hasn't done that. Yet. As far as I know.

However, there are a few U.S. cases along similar lines, though not exactly analogous. The one that comes to mind was a case of inheritance. A man left his grandson a .22 rifle. The grandson took possession of the rifle, not realizing that it had a barrel shorter than 16 inches--or that such a short barrel made it a federally-controlled item under the NFA '34. Since grandpa hadn't registered the gun when it was created (he probably cut it off himself when he was a kid for use on rats and other pests around home) it was now a felony to possess it.

When the kid and his mother found out about the law, they attempted to turn it in and were arrested. However, I believe cooler heads did prevail in that case and the charges were eventually dropped.

Posted On:
    11/23/2009 8:08pm

Style: 5x5, 5.56mm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This story sounds odd. This country has weapon amnestys too and the police generally act positively when any weapons are handed in, even without a reason, there shouldn't be much of a problem here. It jumped pretty quickly into the crown court as well. I think either the story wasn't reported correctly or the facts are wrong.

So far that story only takes the mans word for what happened before he entered the police station, no one knows if it was ever in his garden or how long he had it before hand.

To give him the benefit of the doubt for now though though I hope the judge discards it when it comes to sentancing.
    Last edited by Kovacs; 11/23/2009 8:14pm at . Reason: Spelling

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    11/23/2009 8:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have a point. In a country where you can hand in your mom's kitchen knives in an amnesty to get weapons off the street, insufficient dedication to the amnesty lifestyle is not the issue.

Infidel

Posted On:
    11/23/2009 9:22pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn View Post
    In a country where you can hand in your mom's kitchen knives in an amnesty to get weapons off the street
    Sorry DG, are you being sarcastic??
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Posted On:
    11/24/2009 3:17am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark View Post
    Sorry DG, are you being sarcastic??
    Unfortunately not: http://www.crimereduction.homeoffice...ifeamnesty.htm

Theres been others as well.
    "Chance favours only the prepared mind."

My Training Log

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    11/24/2009 7:07am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Um, guys, for those of you all "HURBLE GURBLE, YOU LIBERAL COMMIE GUN GRABBER" to Honesty, this...

Now, is the law just? Thats a different question and not one I have in any way approached.
    ...Is actually true.

Moron

Posted On:
    12/10/2009 5:00pm

Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...un-nearby.html

Man hands in gun to police and isn't arrested in "UK gun law proves to be reasonable" shocker.

I think there is more to the story in the OP than is being reported. Anyway, its friday night, I'm off down the pub to cause an argument and revel in my virtually zero chance of being shot.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    12/10/2009 9:46pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, a real English pub. I wonder if they wear sweaters in there.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast