Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 12:17pm

Style: Adult Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got a hypothetical question. Say i visit your lovely militant country and I am walking down the street enjoying the sites. I come across a gun in the gutter. I pick it up and and proceed to the nearest police officer or station to turn it in. I have no clue about your local gun laws. I am just trying to be a good foreign visitor by turning in a dangerous firearm that was just laying on the ground for any person to pick up and use for a crime if they so chose to. Now would I, being a foreigner and having no clue about your laws, be facing up to 5 years of incarceration because I thought I was doing the right thing by turning in a dangerous object from the streets? If that is the case then I will be sure never to visit your fucked up country. These kinds of laws are worthless and only encourage a more militant police enforced state were the people are at the whim of ridiculous laws as this **** pile.

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 12:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honesty: the law sucks, and you suck for agreeing with it.

It's entirely reasonable to ask what the correct course of action should have been for this guy--that's not a crazy hypothetical, it's pointing out that this law is making the world a stupid, worse place, because any alternative this guy had was bad.

Oh, and by the by, the guy did call ahead:

"I didn't know what to do, so the next morning I rang the Chief Superintendent, Adrian Harper, and asked if I could pop in and see him.

"At the police station, I took the gun out of the bag and placed it on the table so it was pointing towards the wall."
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 1:58pm

Style: bagua

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dethklok View Post
    I got a hypothetical question. Say i visit your lovely militant country and I am walking down the street enjoying the sites. I come across a gun in the gutter. I pick it up and and proceed to the nearest police officer or station to turn it in. I have no clue about your local gun laws. I am just trying to be a good foreign visitor by turning in a dangerous firearm that was just laying on the ground for any person to pick up and use for a crime if they so chose to. Now would I, being a foreigner and having no clue about your laws, be facing up to 5 years of incarceration because I thought I was doing the right thing by turning in a dangerous object from the streets? If that is the case then I will be sure never to visit your fucked up country. These kinds of laws are worthless and only encourage a more militant police enforced state were the people are at the whim of ridiculous laws as this **** pile.
    I was wondering something similar

Let's imagine that an armed intruder breaks into my home

Sneakily I hide and, when he puts his gun down, I grab it and run out of the house and quickly make my way to my local police station with said firearm in my handbag

I hand it it to the police (carefully, obviously) so am I going to get thrown in jail for 5 years?

Is this what "strict liability" means?

Serious question, I'm not a layer and I'm genuinely interested

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 2:00pm

Style: bagua

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    Oh, and by the by, the guy did call ahead:
    In fairness though he didn't say what it was about so the cops had no idea he would be bringing a gun with him

It's like he wanted it to be a nice surprise and it backfired on him

(((him)))

:(

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 2:01pm

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    Something tells me they don't actually say what you think they do. Clip size limits are retarded, but nothing is remotely similar to this Joseph Heller nightmare.
    Let me review, it has been a few days.

The US has a number of states that disregard our civil rights.
    For some reading on the love California has for its 2nd Amendment civil rights, skim some of the below.

http://www.calccw.com/
    Last edited by BadUglyMagic; 11/20/2009 2:11pm at . Reason: typos

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 3:24pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BadUglyMagic View Post
    Let me review, it has been a few days.

The US has a number of states that disregard our civil rights.
    For some reading on the love California has for its 2nd Amendment civil rights, skim some of the below.

http://www.calccw.com/
    There is a pretty ridiculous difference between CCW policies and random people getting arrested for finding a gun on the street. That won't happen here.

California Penal Code section 12025 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.
    As I said, some of California's gun laws are retarded, but it's not even the same galaxy as this.

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 4:38pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are very few US laws where you absolutely "have to arrest" someone. I by no means would "have to arrest" a guy who did this. I would of course get all his information, run him for warrants etc.

If it turned out that the interests of justice required his arrest I could file for a warrant later.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 7:30pm

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    There is a pretty ridiculous difference between CCW policies and random people getting arrested for finding a gun on the street. That won't happen here.

As I said, some of California's gun laws are retarded, but it's not even the same galaxy as this.
    My bad for derail.

Random is not the correct word and he was arrested after turning it in to the police station.

And yes, it happened in NY.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2009 10:58am

Style: Tiger Crane combination

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    The stupidity here is that the majority of the citizens in the UK have an irrational fear of a particular inanimate object.

It's the animate objects that come flying out the front of them that give people the rational fear.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    11/23/2009 11:09am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless the meaning of "animate" has changed, bullets are not "animate." they are chunks of metal propelled by expanding gasses resulting from the rapid combustion of chemical propellants.

A person is "animate." Machines are not.

On topic:

That gun law is stupid. THat being said, he violated it. This is why justice should be "animate." Strict refusal to address intent, options, motives, and consequences when considering law violations is lazy justice. Very few things in this world are so black and white that one can responsibly disregard the surrounding and underlying conditions.

Of course, it saves a lot of time to couch laws in absolutist terms.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast