Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 7:07pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark View Post
    Thanks. I couldn't remember the name of the website.
    I've bought the Tenchi
    http://www.chenessinc.com/tenchi.htm
    And I like a lot.

I'll check out what else they have.

I know everyone loves the ol'Katana but sometimes long curved blades are a litte less than subtle.
    Also straight blades handle differently.
    Yeah I have a Cheness sword as well. They are very nice. I am a fan of the KoKatana. Congrats for being prepared for the Zombies.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2009 7:15pm

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kaoru666 View Post
    the common theory is that Hayes invented them
    The "ninja" blades with the square tsuba were an invention of Kabuki theater presenters. The audience would be able to recognize ninja by their blades.

It has been theorized that the "classic" ninja garb was worn by stage hands - black clothing would disappear on a black background.

Quote Originally Posted by kaoru666
    well according to hatsumi the ninja to was just a wakizashi inside the tsuka of a katana therefore giving the illusion of a long sword but it had a short blade. Yah from what I have found though hayes was the one who came up with the idea of the straight sword during the ninja boom
    The oni yuri from Cheness replicates this blade. It appears to be up to their usual standards, but I have not test cut with mine yet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2009 6:36am

Style: Kendo, Iaido, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Straight bladed swords did exist in Japan before the modern ninja craze. They're known as chokuto. They were primarily used in the early-late 1100's, all but disappearing in the 1200's with the invention of the tachi, because straight swords are **** for the kind of combat the Japanese were wanting at the time. However, the shape of the katana has differed over time, and at some points far straighter swords were favoured (note- straighter, not straight)

As for square tsuba, they did exist somewhat. They generally had rounded corners (a completely square tsuba would interfere with your draw), but I'm sure some samurai in the edo period walked around with a square tsuba thinking it was pretty.

So. If you're wanting a quality sword approaching what the ninjato is seen as, you're looking at a custom piece with a far shallower sori than is common today. Black furnishings with a custom tsuba naturally. Since you mentioned quality I assume you're after a mid range piece, which will set you back around the $6-8000 mark plus fittings.

Since what I fear you're actually wanting is something cool looking that will cut through trees and the like in the back yard, swordbuyers guide or hanwei could likely set you up with a chunk of metal approaching the shape of a sword for a few hundred bucks that won't bend as badly when you stuff up with it

Hope this helps

Infidel

Posted On:
    11/30/2009 10:12pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Considering I check this account half the time at work that's EXACTLY what I want this for. looking cool cutting tree's in the back yard and larping ninja assassin :)

Interesting historical points too also.
    Last edited by vigilus; 11/30/2009 10:16pm at .
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2009 12:58am

Style: Kendo, Iaido, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok then. A few caveats. Firstly, untrained use of a sword out in your backyard is about as safe as untrained use of a gun in your backyard. Please keep this in mind. The reason this is is twofold. Cheap swords tend to have extremely poor quality control measures, as just like any company budget items are made by cutting corners and working on razor thin overheads (pun not intended). This has lead to several problems with chinese companies, and the company making the sword I'm about to recommend is famous for it. Secondly, cheap sword manufacturing companies over-sharpen their swords to impress people who don't know any better. This leads to the sword breaking more often and amplifies the danger when it does.

So, with my previous statement, and hesitation similar to someone recommending a bjj book to someone on the internet so they can learn it in the backyard, I'd recommend Chenness' Oniyuri katana. Reasons:
    - First and foremost, the steel used to make it is least likely to kill you or a friend.
    - It has a larper seal of approval by the bujinkan
    - It has funky ninja powers, being significantly shorter than a regular blade but still with the same size saya
    - The blade is curved, which means you're going to have a far easier time cutting trees and the like with it
    Last edited by stealth_monkey; 12/01/2009 1:03am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/02/2009 7:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: knife throwing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The katanas that Himalayan Imports make are worth looking into.

I don't own one, but I have one of their khukuris--a very well-made knife.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    12/03/2009 2:14pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Choson Ninja should be able to help you Grant.. He's even got a YouTube tutorial on how to make a "functional" Ninjato

I fucking hate the Koreans.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2009 3:23pm

Style: jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Simio de las Xmas View Post
    Choson Ninja should be able to help you Grant.. He's even got a YouTube tutorial on how to make a "functional" Ninjato

I fucking hate the Koreans.
    lmao choson ninja also has a ninjato taht has been handed down for " generations"

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/12/2009 1:54am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Toyama, MAC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Quality" and "Ninjato" should not be used in the same sentence. Just about anyone selling ninjatos is out to make a quick buck off some sucker that doesn't know any better. Unless you can find/afford something that was actually made in the 18th century or older you're probably not getting a decent weapon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2009 11:31am

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kris Cutlery makes decent blades for the money spent:

http://kriscutlery.com/documents/japanese.html

Their website is broken, regarding the ninjato, but you can easily call them and ask.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123