Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    12/04/2009 4:29pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I crucified Jesus View Post
    Honestly, I think the issue with Judo Newaza could be solved by either labeling a turtle strategy without attempt to roll over or get back up as "stalling" with the appropriate penalty.
    That's exactly what FSJ does.

Incidentally, to anyone who thinks i'm being a prissy little size queen about this and don't actually do judo, i'm new to the sport (one year, as opposed to my seven in BJJ) but I am a competitor. I've done eight tournaments in the past year (i'm sure you've seen my videos), most recently winning five out of six matches to get second at the Maryland Open, a nationals qualifier.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    12/04/2009 4:37pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodRedCap View Post
    That's about it IMHO. Judo IS NOT just competition, that's a part of the full package, if you want to compete using judo, you don't need a tailor-made judo-like organization just for your liking.
    A "tailor made judo like organization" is exactly what the IJf is becoming. They're considering banning half a dozen techniques as attacks, some of which were instituted by Kano himself.

Christ, it even fails in its intended purpose: making Judo a popular, exciting sport. Sports don't thrive when all the athletes play the same way. Sports thrive on innovation and a diversity of styles. The IJF has been trying to cut away the eastern european style for some time and now they're trying to remove any wrestling influence on the sport.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Posted On:
    12/04/2009 5:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    12/04/2009 6:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think anyone could presume Kano would do Judo. Of course, he was the one who started monkeying around with the ruleset to foster an idea of 'purity' in the first place. Tailoring what is allowed in Shiai to favor a certain type of play (and, thus the training methodology) isn't exactly a new thing.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    12/04/2009 6:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There have been various rulesets for shiai and Judo was still Judo under all of those rulesets. Shiai rules doesn't define Judo as UFC rules (different to Pride or Vale Tudo ones) doesn't define MMA.

Shiai is a tool for learning/practising Judo, not Judo itself. As long as the ruleset don't go against Judo ideals it has not relevance.

Posted On:
    12/04/2009 9:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Shiai rules doesn't define Judo
    They do define what the majority of judo clubs spend the majority of their time on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2009 10:58pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Make Turtle = held so non turtled player wins. Simple to judge and in the spirit.

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 3:14am

Style: Koryu Budo, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What would Kano do?
    Kano was a member of the International Olympic Committee. He most definitely would have been glad both that Japan got to host the Olympic games and that Judo became an official Olympic sport.

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 4:02am

Style: Koryu Budo, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The IJF has been trying to cut away the eastern european style for some time and now they're trying to remove any wrestling influence on the sport.
    You mean wrasslin'...it's what dirty Americans do. Before I joined my most recent judo club I was told by an instructor that morote gari was not 'good judo'. Apparently the IJF heard.

To be honest I doubt any real headway will ever be made against the IJF despite many respected judoka not liking their decisions. To do so means that you lose out on the benefits of being part of a big organization. Say goodbye to the IJF and say goodbye to things like access to the major international competitions. As a martial art Judo loses out as clubs will start dropping techniques since they only want to focus on IJF approved stuff. But it isn't worth it for the regional judo organizations to fight the IJF over a few techniques verses having the entire judo support network fall out on them. I don't blame them too much for keeping the status quo as Judo is for the most part intact. However despite it not changing Judo as radically as the World Taekwondo federation gutted their art's sparring style, the trends of the IJF worrying about making judo pretty and 'pure' along with the principles of what they are doing bother me. As such if a small org like Freestyle that focuses on using Judo waza in a more open grappling ruleset becomes big (or kosen somehow emerges from the ashes...I'm not holding my breath), I won't be crying a river for the IJF. Yes there is a chance of too many splinter groups, but that's an opposite extreme of what we have now.

And yes, I train in IJF approved judo. It's a beautiful thing but the judo bureaucrats need to have something to shake them up every now and then

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 4:59am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nightowl View Post
    He (Kano) most definitely would have been glad both that Japan got to host the Olympic games and that Judo became an official Olympic sport.
    Are you sure?

Considering 1936 Kano's letter to Koizumi, I have some doubts about that.

"I have been asked by people of various sections as to the wisdom and possibility of Judo being introduced with other games and sports at the Olympic Games. My view on the matter, at present, is rather passive. If it be the desire of other member countries I have no objection. But I do not feel inclined to take any initiative. For one thing, Judo, in reality, is not a mere sport or game. I regard it as a principle of life, art and science. In fact it is a means for personal cultural attainment. Only one of the forms of Judo training, so-called Randori or free practice, can be classed as a form of sport. Certainly, to some extent, the same may be said of boxing and fencing, but today they are practised and conducted as sports. Then, the Olympic Games are so strongly flavoured with Nationalism that it is possible to be influenced by it and to develop 'Contest Judo,' a retrograde form as Ju Jutsu was before Kodokwan Judo was founded."

Fulfilling His Duty as a Member: Jigoro Kano and the Japanese Bid for the 1940 Olympics. By Joseph R. Svinth
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast