Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/18/2009 1:13am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

GI Bill

So, I'm either a complete idiot (did a search before asking) and can't find any info on it here, or too lazy too look closer but I'm curious re: GI Bill covering martial arts training/certification?

If my (active duty) wife can get the govt. to pony up for freakin' yoga instructor certs, surely they'll spring for my no longer active duty butt to learn some sweet ninja skills?

TIA for any info.

is a Godd*mn Federale!

Posted On:
    11/18/2009 2:08am

supporting member
     Style: Clinchology: Judo & MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    So, I'm either a complete idiot (did a search before asking) and can't find any info on it here, or too lazy too look closer but I'm curious re: GI Bill covering martial arts training/certification?

If my (active duty) wife can get the govt. to pony up for freakin' yoga instructor certs, surely they'll spring for my no longer active duty butt to learn some sweet ninja skills?

TIA for any info.
    The GI Bill only covers undergraduate & graduate degrees or technical/vocational certificates offered by community colleges or 4 year colleges. If you find a college that lets you major in ninjitsu, then you're set.

Rudy Reyes > Bear Grylls

Posted On:
    11/18/2009 2:30am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka-Bar View Post
    The GI Bill only covers undergraduate & graduate degrees or technical/vocational certificates offered by community colleges or 4 year colleges. If you find a college that lets you major in ninjitsu, then you're set.

Aye carumba. Wsa afraid of that. Apparently (per VA website), Shanaynay's House of Manicure Instruction is gtg, whilst Steve's House of Pain isn't.

Thanks for confirming the info.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/22/2009 3:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whelp, just to vent some tangental useless information, the University of Bridgeport in Connecticut has a Martial Arts studies degree. https://www.bridgeport.edu/pages/3868.asp
    So, yeah, there's that. Go get your government-sponsored TKD black belt.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    12/22/2009 3:40pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then you can say the government paid 120 thousand dollars to make you into a killing machine.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/22/2009 4:39pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't forget to save some of the GI Bill money for certification and sokeship in a hall of fame, call yourself Dr. AgentOrange and start your video rank selling scheme.

Make your country proud of it's investment.

Time this thread was moved out of the armory.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    12/28/2009 4:29am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ex-Tomiki Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oddly enough, joe - the Tulsa Judo Club here in town has started a semester program for PHYSED credit through Tulsa Community College.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

If the OP can find a university that'll give him full Chapter 30 benefits while he learns totally sweet nunchuck moves like Phil Elmore's, more power to him.

Why use those government bennies for vocational or professional advancement anyway?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/28/2009 8:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Goshukan-Ryu Karate /Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    some universities will have martial arts classes as part of their offerings for the physical fitness/physical education requirement...however, being a vet, you're not required to take any phys ed. courses..at least I didn't, I CLEP'd that and a few other courses that I took while on AD.
    That being said, you could always take MA (if they offer it) as an elective, as long as it is assigned as a study course not a club activity.

Posted On:
    12/28/2009 9:13am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd use your education benefits for something that'll actually help you get a decent job.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    12/29/2009 4:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ex-Tomiki Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heartily seconded.

With some notable exceptions, I'd be a little leery of the quality of instruction you'd get at most US universities. And as stated, it's really kind of a waste of your GI Bill credits. Remember, you only have 36 total months of bennies.

Better to make the most of it and use it for a degree or at least a voc cert program.