Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2009 7:13pm

Style: ex-Tae Kwon Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Taurus Millennium Jams

Several years ago I purchased a Taurus Millennium .380 acp. This was the original millennium model and not the newer millennium pro series. I have never used it for concealed carry due to frequent jams. It jams approximately every 3-5 clips.

My questions are if anyone here has owned a millennium series, if it jammed often, and what if any remedy there is to make it a reliable firearm.

I've taken it apart and cleaned it to no avail. I'm thinking about taking advantage of its lifetime warrant and sending it back to the manufacturer, but if someone here has a reccomendation it could save me a $60 to $70 fed ex bill to send it overnight to Florida for repair.

I've googled it and the main problem reported is the polymer handles cracking due to it being cooked at the wrong temperature. The spring in the clip is abnormally strong, its several orders of magnitude stronger than the other semi-autos I have. I don't know if this could have anything to do with it. It ejects the shells ok, but when it racks the next round into the chamber sometimes the angle is slightly off and it jams part of the way into the chamber.

I've never been a law enforcement officer or in the military so please forgive me if this is a stupid question.

Posted On:
    11/17/2009 7:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some guns are ammunition sensitive, try different brands/bullet shapes to see if that is the problem. Mark your magazines and see if it is happening in one more frequently than the others. Many times these types of malfunctions are shooter induced, make sure you are giving the weapon a stable platform to function on. Finally, although I have been out of the gun industry for awhile Taurus had an excellent customer service operation back when I was dealing with them. If you try the suggestions above without success send it back to them and they will probably sort it out. Good luck.

I am also a big fan of a lube called FP-10. Use a drop on each rail prior to reassembly after cleaning, that may be all she needs.

Posted On:
    11/17/2009 7:32pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, it kind of makes for a dull thread when the first reply pretty much covers all the bases.

Posted On:
    11/17/2009 7:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Friends don't let friends shoot Taurus.

They have some fit and finish inconsistencies that "worry" me. At least to the point that I have passed them up, and saved my money for a nicer weapon.

Posted On:
    11/17/2009 7:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A Taurus would not be my first choice. A .380 would also not be my first choice. A .380 Taurus? Probably the best advice would be to put that bad boy up for consignment and use the proceeds to get a Walther PPS in .40S&W. Thanks for the reality check Mr. Machette.

Posted On:
    11/17/2009 8:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    A Taurus would not be my first choice. A .380 would also not be my first choice. A .380 Taurus? Probably the best advice would be to put that bad boy up for consignment and use the proceeds to get a Walther PPS in .40S&W. Thanks for the reality check Mr. Machette.
    Hey, not to bag on Taurus outright. I know a few people who have them, and absolutely love them.

I also know a few who have had nothing but trouble. (I.E., really needing that lifetime warranty... ...repeatedly....)

The reports are just too broad across the spectrum from one extreme to the other for me to trust them personally.

Not when there's brands like CZ, or RIA which offer the same price, and are universally respected for quality and reliability.

JMHO