Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2009 10:56pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by D Dempsey View Post
    GEOINT and IMINT is the same thing now days so there is no difference in clearance. The benefit to this field is that it is entirely possible to get a job immediately after finishing the MOS school. It won't be the same pay as someone with experience, but it will be pretty competitive time wise.
    A degree is no longer necessary to get into a government agency and all them have people working at them whos only educational background is highschool and the military.
    A degree could only help, especially if your competing with other military people.
    Military experience + degree = more $$

Also, most intel jobs give you the same possibility of getting a job right out of MOS school. You could argue that geospatial is in higher demand though.

Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 6:31am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No doubt the degree will make you more competitive, it is just no longer necessary to get your foot in the door. That being said you will hit the glass ceiling real quick without one.
    The reason that its easier to get a position with IMINT/GEOINT training has to do with the field having a huge amount of positons ranging from defense to environmental applications.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 9:27am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having the EMT certs it should be easy to get a job with an ambulance company or any hospital ER for that matter? I am sure Philly has some rough areas that need trained EMTs.

Not to lecture or speak down to anyone here but when you join the military it is best to have a vision or focus on what you want to be when you exit. The best way to look at the military is like going to a technical college. You should learn a trade. Stay away from being a trigger puller or INTEL personnel.

If you have no idea when you enlist and start as a grunt then lat move after your first hitch to a technical field.

The best MOS you can learn in the military is Air Traffic Controller. ATC are always in demand in the civilian world and make decent bank.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 10:56am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is my totally useless advice:
    Become a bounty hunter or a process server. Both jobs can be done on a contract basis and your military presence can be intimidating to lots of normal people. Handing envelopes to people can net you handful of cash right now. Then you can get officially enrolled and start getting your GI money.

SERIOUS ADVICE: If at all possible find a way to get unemployment RIGHT FUCKING NOW. It is NOT welfare! It is money you and your employer already paid for you to have now. This is the most important thing for you to understand. I was on unemployment for a year and felt horrible about it for 6 months of that time. IT IS NOT WELFARE!

Military Unemployment:
    http://www.ows.doleta.gov/unemploy/ucx.asp

PA's Unemployment site:
    http://www.dli.state.pa.us/landi/site/default.asp

PA's login: (enter your SSN and you could be getting a check this week)
    https://www.paclaims.state.pa.us/UCEN/Welcome.asp
    Last edited by WhiteShark; 11/20/2009 11:01am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2009 1:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    Having the EMT certs it should be easy to get a job with an ambulance company or any hospital ER for that matter? I am sure Philly has some rough areas that need trained EMTs.

Not to lecture or speak down to anyone here but when you join the military it is best to have a vision or focus on what you want to be when you exit. The best way to look at the military is like going to a technical college. You should learn a trade. Stay away from being a trigger puller or INTEL personnel.

If you have no idea when you enlist and start as a grunt then lat move after your first hitch to a technical field.

The best MOS you can learn in the military is Air Traffic Controller. ATC are always in demand in the civilian world and make decent bank.
    Why would you stay away from intel.
    Plenty of well paying jobs, a disproportionate amount of which end up being filled by military/ex-military.

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 12:48am

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you to everyone for their advice. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up that I've gotten three job offers within the past few days from local hospitals. Things seem to be turning around!

Celebratory MREs all around. Except you Phrost, you get the Country Captain's Chicken MRE...
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 2:05am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good to hear things are looking up. I was unemployed for the last three months, and two months earlier in the year. Job market sucks right now. I think I was sending out 2-3 resumes a day for the past three months and I only got 3 phone calls from that. One got me a job that sucked so bad I quit within two weeks (You try hanging gutters 5 stories up when you don't like heights and its -10 celsius), one was for a bank that didn't hire me (advice: don't mention you bounce at a bar while applying for a bank job. I knew this ahead of time, but it came up in the interview), and then three weeks ago I got hired by a furniture company to run their warehouse.

The shitty thing that I've discovered recently, is that retail stores are suddenly requiring bachelor's degrees for management and assistant management positions. If I have a BS in nuclear physics, why the hell would I want to work in your store?
    This really made me laugh because the furniture store hired me because I have a BA. I haven't taken a single course in management over the years (stupid hindsight), but they seemed to be impressed enough to give me the job! Sure, Politics and Philosophy have NOTHING to do with management, but what do I care? I get paid this Friday!! Yaaay!!

Good luck with the new job(s) Alpha!

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 2:19am

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson View Post
    This really made me laugh because the furniture store hired me because I have a BA. I haven't taken a single course in management over the years (stupid hindsight), but they seemed to be impressed enough to give me the job! Sure, Politics and Philosophy have NOTHING to do with management, but what do I care? I get paid this Friday!! Yaaay!!

Good luck with the new job(s) Alpha!
    I have no problem with getting paid! LoL. It was just the ridiculousness of that requirement. You don't need a bachelors degree to be a manager of most retail stores. But it came up in an interview for a managerial position. I was asked what my major was and what I intended on doing with my degree. I mentioned that I was going to major in Biology with a Pre-med core, and minor in ethics, and that I intended on attaining my M.D. in Emergency Medicine. After mentioning this, the hiring manager let me know that the position required at least a bachelors degree and I should contact them when I've completed it.

*blink*

:eng101: - I r gradwait
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 3:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFoxtrot51 View Post
    Thank you to everyone for their advice. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up that I've gotten three job offers within the past few days from local hospitals. Things seem to be turning around!

Celebratory MREs all around. Except you Phrost, you get the Country Captain's Chicken MRE...
    Don't forget to finish that bachelor's degree too. Like elipson mentioned, jobs just seem to require a degree. For example, what the FBI says is that a bachelor's degree demonstrates a aptitude for writing and critical thinking necessary for the job (FBI requires no specific major for Special Agent).

Also, I call dibs on the chicken /w salsa MRE.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 10:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ex-Tomiki Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFoxtrot51 View Post
    Celebratory MREs all around.
    Ugh. I'll clear my calendar. Last time I ate an MRE I was in the head for a not-insignificant amount of time.

SHOT! BORE CLEAR!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast