supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrogantBastard View Post
    Other options:
    Reenlist (active or reserve/guard/air guard):
    1) Get a security clearance (top secret /w sci) **
    2) New MOS in an intelligence field: all-source analyst, sigint, imint, geospatial, etc.
    A security clearance goes a long way towards getting a job one of the many government agencies or as a contractor; especially with the good ol' boy network.
    Actually if you do this I can definitely get you a job and I'll split the 7000 dollar referal bonus I get with you. The two that I highlighted there are basically the same field and have the highest pay amongst most intelligence jobs in the civillian sector.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2009 4:51pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by D Dempsey View Post
    Actually if you do this I can definitely get you a job and I'll split the 7000 dollar referal bonus I get with you. The two that I highlighted there are basically the same field and have the highest pay amongst most intelligence jobs in the civillian sector.
    Is geospatial still getting only secret clearance by default out of the school? (few people I know had to put in the forms for TS after they were MOS-Q)
    If so, seems like a hassle to wait after completing everything to apply for a civilian job (assuming not active duty).

From what I have seen/heard, it seems like the all-source analyst has the most options available. Pay is another variable, but all/most intel fields generally pay well if you have some exp (minimal = MOS school) + clearance.

Also, another option if you get a degree AlphaFoxtrot is that you will meet the minimum requirements for Special Agent at the FBI and the equivalent for all the other agencies.

Other miscellaneous info:
    -contractor = more pay (usually) but not guaranteed they will give you a contract next fiscal year.
    -if you don't mind deploying as a civilian contractor, you are looking at ~150-200k/yr depending on your job and I believe it's somewhere around 150k of that is untaxed.
    Last edited by ArrogantBastard; 11/19/2009 4:56pm at .

Posted On:
    11/19/2009 5:47pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe it's somewhere around 150k of that is untaxed.

Not even close.

Try 80k and Obama is trying to kill even that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2009 5:52pm

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFoxtrot51 View Post
    I used the GI Bill (chpt. 30) to get my Associates.
    You should have benefits remaining under the GI Bill. You're entitled to 36 months of full time benefits. If you completed an Associates, you're still eligible for the remaining time which should cover (or nearly cover) your BA/BS. At full time, you should be bringing in about $1300/mo. That's probably not enough to cover all yours expenses, but it's a start.

What about Pell-type grants should help to cover the cost of tuition at most universities? That plus your $1300, plus a job in the bookstore should help you cover the cost of beer and tacos...or whatever you people up north eat.

Also, I don't know what you're going to school for, but I'm in the position where I have two (2) BA's and they aren't worth the paper they are printed on. I'm going back to school for my BSN. Nursing is where it's at, yo.

Posted On:
    11/19/2009 6:02pm

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 7thSamurai View Post
    You should have benefits remaining under the GI Bill. You're entitled to 36 months of full time benefits. If you completed an Associates, you're still eligible for the remaining time which should cover (or nearly cover) your BA/BS. At full time, you should be bringing in about $1300/mo. That's probably not enough to cover all yours expenses, but it's a start.

What about Pell-type grants should help to cover the cost of tuition at most universities? That plus your $1300, plus a job in the bookstore should help you cover the cost of beer and tacos...or whatever you people up north eat.
    Here's the problem. The MGIB covered getting my Associates because it was at a community college which costs a fraction of what a four-year university does. In order to get into school, you have to pay. In order to get issued your monthly entitlement ($1321.00) you have to be in school. In order to do a payment plan, you pay 25% when you enroll. So unless you have the money to begin with, the MGIB is completely useless.

Also, I don't know what you're going to school for, but I'm in the position where I have two (2) BA's and they aren't worth the paper they are printed on. I'm going back to school for my BSN. Nursing is where it's at, yo.
    I would like to get my BS in Pre-Med Biology (minor in Ethics) and then move on to med school. The shitty thing that I've discovered recently, is that retail stores are suddenly requiring bachelor's degrees for management and assistant management positions. If I have a BS in nuclear physics, why the hell would I want to work in your store?
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2009 6:21pm

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I had this problem, too.

Have you sat down and spoken with a Financial Aid counselor at the university that you want to go to? I dunno how it is up there, but I went to Financial Aid and spoke with an advisor. Here's what happened...

Sometimes students screw up paperwork, the school screws up paperwork, the banks forget something, or some other crap happens that prevents the release of a financial aid check. The school offered a short term, no-interest loan to cover the cost of the first installment that was due to keep the classes held. This happened to me EVERY semester because of the method that the gov releases the GI Bill checks. It's a complete pain in the ass. That said, if you were really serious about going back to school, your first visit would be with the Fin Aid counselor who would push you in the right direction. Other options are to agree to the student loan option that they'll offer you once you complete your FAFSA and then pay it back immediately when you get your GI Bill stuff in.

This is all coming from a professional student. I have been enrolled in some form of education program since 1998. I have Fin Aid down to an art form. Two BA's and 2/3's complete with my BSN and this is becoming old hat. If you need any help with this stuff, just let me know and I'll be glad to talk to you over the phone about it.

Posted On:
    11/19/2009 6:28pm

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I had this problem, too.

Have you sat down and spoken with a Financial Aid counselor at the university that you want to go to? I dunno how it is up there, but I went to Financial Aid and spoke with an advisor. Here's what happened...

Sometimes students screw up paperwork, the school screws up paperwork, the banks forget something, or some other crap happens that prevents the release of a financial aid check. The school offered a short term, no-interest loan to cover the cost of the first installment that was due to keep the classes held. This happened to me EVERY semester because of the method that the gov releases the GI Bill checks. It's a complete pain in the ass. That said, if you were really serious about going back to school, your first visit would be with the Fin Aid counselor who would push you in the right direction. Other options are to agree to the student loan option that they'll offer you once you complete your FAFSA and then pay it back immediately when you get your GI Bill stuff in.

This is all coming from a professional student. I have been enrolled in some form of education program since 1998. I have Fin Aid down to an art form. Two BA's and 2/3's complete with my BSN and this is becoming old hat. If you need any help with this stuff, just let me know and I'll be glad to talk to you over the phone about it.
    Thanks, I just might take you up on that offer. :)
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Posted On:
    11/19/2009 9:10pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great thread guys, way to step up and help each other out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2009 10:13pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
    Not even close.

Try 80k and Obama is trying to kill even that.
    Yeah that figure is the correct one. I think I got 150k from the total amount after tax.

AlphaFoxtrot, if you don't have a career option in mind, I think going reserve/guard and getting an intel MOS + clearance while going to school will not only stabilize you financially, but also set you up for a well paid job later on.

Monkey Knife Fight!

Posted On:
    11/19/2009 10:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is geospatial still getting only secret clearance by default out of the school? (few people I know had to put in the forms for TS after they were MOS-Q)
    If so, seems like a hassle to wait after completing everything to apply for a civilian job (assuming not active duty).

From what I have seen/heard, it seems like the all-source analyst has the most options available. Pay is another variable, but all/most intel fields generally pay well if you have some exp (minimal = MOS school) + clearance.

Also, another option if you get a degree AlphaFoxtrot is that you will meet the minimum requirements for Special Agent at the FBI and the equivalent for all the other agencies.

Other miscellaneous info:
    -contractor = more pay (usually) but not guaranteed they will give you a contract next fiscal year.
    -if you don't mind deploying as a civilian contractor, you are looking at ~150-200k/yr depending on your job and I believe it's somewhere around 150k of that is untaxed.
    GEOINT and IMINT is the same thing now days so there is no difference in clearance. The benefit to this field is that it is entirely possible to get a job immediately after finishing the MOS school. It won't be the same pay as someone with experience, but it will be pretty competitive time wise.
    A degree is no longer necessary to get into a government agency and all them have people working at them whos only educational background is highschool and the military.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast