11/18/2009 6:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fug View Post
    Jesus H Fucking Christ. I had to go to wiki to understand Mr. TheRuss:
    Meaning

Injured by the device that you intended to use to injure others.

Origin

The phrase 'hoist with one's own petar[d]' is often cited as 'hoist by one's own petar[d]'. The two forms mean the same, although the former is strictly a more accurate version of the original source. A petard is, or rather was, as they have long since fallen out of use, a small engine of war used to blow breaches in gates or walls. They were originally metallic and bell-shaped but later cubical wooden boxes. Whatever the shape, the significant feature was that they were full of gunpowder - basically what we would now call a bomb.

The device was used by the military forces of all the major European fighting nations by the 16th century. In French and English - petar or petard, and in Spanish and Italian - petardo.

Now why is Hesperus talking about Graduate Record Exams?
    pe·tard (p-tärd)
    n.
    1. A small bell-shaped bomb used to breach a gate or wall.
    2. A loud firecracker.
    [French pétard, from Old French, from peter, to break wind, from pet, a breaking of wind, from Latin pditum, from neuter past participle of pdere, to break wind; see pezd- in Indo-European roots.]
    Word History: The French used pétard, "a loud discharge of intestinal gas," for a kind of infernal engine for blasting through the gates of a city. "To be hoist by one's own petard," a now proverbial phrase apparently originating with Shakespeare's Hamlet (around 1604) not long after the word entered English (around 1598), means "to blow oneself up with one's own bomb, be undone by one's own devices." The French noun pet, "fart," developed regularly from the Latin noun pditum, from the Indo-European root *pezd-, "fart."
    When I was a kid I found when reading the dictionary that "Hoisted by your own petard" to mean "blown up by your own fart"

This made me laugh and has always stuck with me

Also

U iz joost a jailoos Hawaiin

Cause he beat that eye poking, fence grabbing, get my Mom in court for me Heilo boy

Light Heavyweight

Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran

Posted On:
    11/18/2009 8:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All this **** about 'greasing up' is just Bullshit because the fact remains that he WON HIS FIGHTS HANDS DOWN.The amount of vaseline on his shoulders and back notwithstanding..
    Forget it already.
    Go back and watch the fights and then try and argue that the supreme amount of vaseline he had on him changed the outcome.It ckearly did not, everyone knows that so lets just move on...I am tired of hearing about it. :llorar:
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Ad Hominem rocks.

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/18/2009 8:52pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of fucking moron would put Vaseline between your shoulder blades thinking it would help you in a fight??? That doesn't make any fucking sense because that's not a position that is important in any way. If he had put it on his neck or his arms or his legs, then it would make sense. You're just being an idiot.

Heavyweight

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/19/2009 11:49am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
    All this **** about 'greasing up' is just Bullshit because the fact remains that he WON HIS FIGHTS HANDS DOWN.The amount of vaseline on his shoulders and back notwithstanding..
    Forget it already.
    Go back and watch the fights and then try and argue that the supreme amount of vaseline he had on him changed the outcome.It ckearly did not, everyone knows that so lets just move on...I am tired of hearing about it. :llorar:
    I covered that.
    Quote Originally Posted by fug View Post
    1) Out come is not relevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson View Post
    What kind of fucking moron would put Vaseline between your shoulder blades thinking it would help you in a fight??? That doesn't make any fucking sense because that's not a position that is important in any way. If he had put it on his neck or his arms or his legs, then it would make sense. You're just being an idiot.
    So neck, back and shoulders are bad but between the shoulder blades is the issue because GSP's shoulder blades stick out so far that Penn's leg would never touch his spine or smear the grease or something? GSP is like bird man physique? I don't understand you. I think that you are calling me an idiot because you are a nut-riding Canadian, eh? Anyway, I win because you got personal first. Ha ha.

Which reminds me of the stand up comics I saw in NYC. The scene, at an audition for The Tonight Show, first guy, "Let me do my German impersonation... I hate Jews." Tonight Show director, "That fucking sucks, you are a crummy impersonator, just get the **** off the stage!" First guy, "No, no, no, wait, you've got to hear my Canadian impersonation. I hate Jews, eh?"
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    11/19/2009 3:03pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you name the amount of people BJ Penn has subbed of his back in MMA

GSP's goal is to take people down so rubbing Vaseline on himself where it can get transferred to others making them greasy is counter productive

I like the tonight show joke as both a Jew and Canadian

Ad Hominem rocks.

Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/19/2009 3:23pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lets think about this. What would vaseline between the shoulder blades affect?

RNC's? Nope, wouldn't impact that at all.
    Armbars? Nope, its nowhere near the arm.
    Kimuras? Nope.
    Leg locks? yes, obviously greasing the back would allow GSP to avoid leglocks. That must be it.

"Oh but that vaseline could transfer from his back to somewhere else!"

If this mattered then they wouldn't allow vaseline on a fighters face, a place that gets much more skin-skin contact.

Just face it. You've taken an innocent and harmless mistake and tried to make it actually matter. It doesn't. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Posted On:
    11/19/2009 4:15pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well If BJ was using his flexibility to apply a rubber guard style attack and had to bring his leg across GSP back to get it in place for a gogopalata the vaseline would...make...GSP... back....more slippery?? Which would make the positioning the leg for the rubebr guard...easier???

Whaaaaa??

Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    11/19/2009 5:15pm

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SNAP...

Heavyweight

Achievements:

Posted On:
    11/19/2009 5:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah, I bet BJ didn't grease his neck before this one!
    YouTube- Bj Putting right leg behind head with no hands
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Achievements:

Posted On:
    11/19/2009 5:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson View Post
    Lets think about this. What would vaseline between the shoulder blades affect?

RNC's? Nope, wouldn't impact that at all.
    Armbars? Nope, its nowhere near the arm.
    Kimuras? Nope.
    Leg locks? yes, obviously greasing the back would allow GSP to avoid leglocks. That must be it.
    Right. There are no BJJ techniques that would be foiled by a greasy back, none at all, can't think of a single one, nope, doesn't happen, nada, no way, can't happen, impossible!

http://www.bjpenn.com/video/video/sh...Video%3A823288
    http://www.bjpenn.com/video/greasegate-clip2-1

Georges St. Pierre is clearly the better fighter. GSP left no doubt. And yet now there is, thanks to one of his cornermen, Phil Nurse. It's pretty clear by watching the video that Nurse had some Vaseline on his hands when he rubbed St. Pierre's shoulders, back and chest between the first and second rounds.

Why is grease a big deal? It's significant because of all the grappling and maneuvering that takes place on the ground. St. Pierre was on top of Penn in the second round and the Hawaiian tried several times to shift his legs up to work for a triangle choke or an armbar. Grip and some friction is huge in these cases and a slippery fighter would make it more difficult to lock on one of those holds. Above you can see, Nurse apply Vaseline to GSP's face, then get more Vaseline, then rub his shoulders, arms and back.

Penn's trainer Rudy Valentino told InsideFighting that St. Pierre cheated and the Vaseline thwarted his fighter's strategy:

"To cheat to win is not honorable. Why need another edge? Our gameplan was on the ground, not striking because we knew Georges had good kicks. We planned to work off the back."

"That's about as illegal as you can get." - Dana White

"You could have put Vaseline on from head to toe, that wasn't the point, the point was you don't do it. It's illegal. The guy who did it needs to be punished, it's not (St. Pierre's) fault. The question is what happens to a guy that does that. You've got to put the smack down on him. He should lose his license."
    - Dana White

Yes, Penn would have lost despite the vaseline.

But, GSP still CLEARLY cheated.

Wiped off with a towel? Buddy, go work up a good sweat then glob some vaseline on your hand, rub it around on a shaved part of your body. Spend a second or two, like they commission did, wiping it off. Rub yourself. You'll still be slick. The stuff doesn't come off very easy.

Wouldn't be surprised if he was doing the old trick of bathing in a hot oil bath for an hour the night before the fight. Yea, it'll come off at first glance, but when the sweat starts flowing, so does the oil the skin soaked up.

GSP was CLEARLY the better fighter. Completely outmatched Penn.

However, he CLEARLY cheated.

AND, a bunch of fighters, since Saturday night (and some have said even before), have said that GSP seemed really slick when they fought.

Hermes Franca used steroids for his fight against Sherk. Franca lost. Does that mean he didn't cheat?
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 11/19/2009 6:03pm at .
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast