Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/17/2009 4:16pm

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As MEEX said, He is a legend already in Ca. Here is what the other Canadian wrestlers think. http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/...urn=mma,202598

Georges St. Pierre said he's going to try to wrestle for Canada in 2012. Competing for your country in the Olympics is an amazing feat, and a worthy goal for a competitor like St. Pierre. There is one problem, though. Canada is already pretty well stocked with wrestlers at 74 kg (163 lbs.), the weight GSP would likely compete at.

Matt Gentry, an NCAA champion for Stanford University, represented Canada at the 2008 Olympics at 74 kg. Now an assistant coach at Stanford, Gentry plans to try for the Olympics again in 2012. He points out that having GSP in the mix could strengthen Canada's delegation, but it isn't easy to get there.

"Evan McDonald is the number one guy in Canada at that weight. If St. Pierre comes in, there's going to be a lot of depth at that weight," Gentry told Cagewriter. "That kind of depth is only going to make our country better. It will make the representative who ends up competing more tested, and they'll have to work harder to earn that spot, which will pay off in the long run."

McDonald wrestled for Canada in the world championships this past September. If GSP were to try to wrestle in the Olympics, he would need to get through both Gentry and McDonald. With such little freestyle wrestling experience, it could be difficult.

"He does have good takedowns, he does have good blast doubles, but it's hard to make the comparison," Gentry said. "But [MMA fighters] stand upright. I've seen those blast doubles, and he's certainly a horse in terms of conditioning, but it is pretty different. It's such a technical sport."
    Yes, St. Pierre is very adept at using wrestling during fights. However, there is a huge difference between taking down a striker like Thiago Alves at will and trying to do the same against Buvaisar Saitiev, the Russian gold medalist at GSP's weight class and one of the most dominant wrestlers of the past decade.

Just qualifying your country's weight class for the Olympics is a difficult feat. It requires the wrestler to take a top eight placing at the 2011 World Championships, win their continental championship -- for GSP, it would be the Pan-American Championships -- or win one of the two qualifying tournaments. How hard is that? Only one country, Russia, qualified wrestlers in every weight class for Beijing. Out of eighteen weight classes, Canada qualified ten of them in 2008.

Making Canada's team is also a time-intensive feat. GSP would need to start with the Canadian national championships in 2011 to become part of the ladder of competitors for the Olympic Trials. After that, GSP would need to win the Canadian Olympic Trials, usually held in December of the year before the Olympics. This would tie up GSP for more than a year.
    Still, Gentry isn't going to look past St. Pierre if he does try for the Olympics.

"He's a competitor, I'm sure that he'll be tough to beat, no matter what he's competing in."

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/17/2009 7:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the idea of him competing and representing Canada is great..it also says a lot about the type of person he is.Obviously not just concerned with money, but with being an all-around great athlete.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/17/2009 7:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KO'd N DOA View Post
    As MEEX said, He is a legend already in Ca. Here is what the other Canadian wrestlers think. http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/...urn=mma,202598
    Good article, but the OP seems to suggest he'd be looking at 185lbs, not 163.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/17/2009 7:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    If GSP beats Silva and medals at the Olympics, we'll have to invent new adjectives for him.
    Other than "sleazy asshole cheater," who should take his Kyokushinkaikan black belt and shove it where the sun don't shine?

Maybe GSP will just dip himself in grease this time. Against Silva? Perhaps he should put a horseshoe in his glove.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/17/2009 8:19pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fug View Post
    Other than "sleazy asshole cheater," who should take his Kyokushinkaikan black belt and shove it where the sun don't shine?

Maybe GSP will just dip himself in grease this time.
    You'd like that, wouldn't you, you dirty old man...

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/17/2009 8:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Maybe GSP will just dip himself in grease this time. Against Silva? Perhaps he should put a horseshoe in his glove.
    Tell us how you really feel..
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    11/17/2009 10:57pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dear Fug:

Avoid Canada; for your own well-being.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/17/2009 11:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    You'd like that, wouldn't you, you dirty old man...
    Well he does have tight buns!
    Quote Originally Posted by elipson View Post
    Dear Fug:

Avoid Canada; for your own well-being.
    As a senior KK bb I posted on GSP's facebook site. Made myself as clear as I could and let him know exactly my opinion. One honest Kyokushinkai bb to another, the betrayer I think I called him, one against ten gazillion nut riders. And now I get fucking pro-GSP spam emails!

Christ...
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/17/2009 11:49pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well he does have tight buns!
    As a senior KK bb I posted on GSP's facebook site. Made myself as clear as I could and let him know exactly my opinion. One honest Kyokushinkai bb to another, the betrayer I think I called him, one against ten gazillion nut riders. And now I get fucking pro-GSP spam emails!

Christ...
    Hoist with your own petard! Although I suspect you'd rather be "hoist" on something of his...

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    11/18/2009 12:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everybody got a gre-gre.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast