Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/06/2004 4:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You bring up a good point. I should just change my username to "Correct".

Posted On:
    2/06/2004 4:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    either that or "penguin boy"

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/06/2004 4:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :D

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/06/2004 4:52pm

supporting member
     Style: 7 Star

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by ronin69
    Correct,
    I once had a friend, marathon runner, try some heavy bag routines, for about a month 2 times a week.
    After that month he STILL could not last more than 4 rounds ( full out 3 min. rounds).
    While my other buddy who did NO running ( hates it with a passion) did 3 per week and was doing 6 rounds with ease.
    I can see how the marathoner had trouble. He trains for a long slow expenditure of his energy. He is on the extreme end of the running scale.

Marathoners typically put in 30 to 40 miles of running in every week. More if their at an elite level. This is an extreme example.

A person who lets say run 10ks, who regularly does speed work and hill work probably would have done far better than the guy who hates runing with a passion.

U.S. Army

Posted On:
    2/07/2004 2:18am

supporting member
     Style: Kickboxing/Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to agree with Mantis, marathon runners aren't good sprinters, but they have good speed. Two different things.

Someone who runs often, but does it in a sprinting manner (i.e. Uphill, short courses, etc.) will do much better than the guy who doesn't run at all and kicks the bag one more time a week than the marathoner who only kicks the bag 2 times a week.
    "did Phrost just call me a 'bitch'?"-Omega

"The collective IQ of bullshido was reduced with the departure of Wastrel. It further dropped due to the retention of (Serious Harm)."
    - The all knowing Dochter

"but like, it's possible to develop such a level of reflex that you can literally detect someones movements through sensitivity, and block without even thinking"-Apostol

That's the amazing thing about Ninjas, for sneeky cocksuckers, they are all over the place, like dog **** on your shoe.-Ronin69

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    2/07/2004 2:27am

supporting member
     Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think running can add in different ways to your MA training. If your basic endurance is good, you recover quicker in between fights. Secondly you can do change your running to intervall training, hill runs etc to simulate some of the cardiovascular demands of sparring. Thirdly running can help you during injury recovery. However, a lot of Martial Artists I have met are overachievers and as such , have the tendency to overtrain.
    But it alll has it's place

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/07/2004 11:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think running can add in different ways to your MA training. If your basic endurance is good, you recover quicker in between fights.
    Stop thinking that. That's not what endurance is.

Secondly you can do change your running to intervall training, hill runs etc to simulate some of the cardiovascular demands of sparring.
    False. The only thing it simulates is what you superfically percieve to be relavant (which it isnt)...sweatiness, windedness, hard breathing i.e. "the cardiovascular system". The cardiovascular system doesn't power the specific functions of an activity...they simply support that which does. The skeletal muscles. The changes you make occur primarily there. Hence, you use them in a way MOST similar to what which you're trying to train for...both in body mechanics and intensity. Running neccesarily fails on the first part.

Thirdly running can help you during injury recovery.
    This is a dangerous lie for those retarded enough to even pay attention to you at this point. Less talk for a while. You don't know what exercise is nor does.
    Last edited by Nid; 2/07/2004 11:57am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/07/2004 11:49am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to agree with Mantis, marathon runners aren't good sprinters, but they have good speed. Two different things.
    So competitive marathon runners will achieve a better time in a marathon than a competitive sprinter? Is that what you call speed? "Good" speed? This has what to do with what now?

Someone who runs often, but does it in a sprinting manner (i.e. Uphill, short courses, etc.) will do much better than the guy who doesn't run at all and kicks the bag one more time a week than the marathoner who only kicks the bag 2 times a week.
    Better at what?

?
    Last edited by Nid; 2/07/2004 11:52am at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12