Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2009 6:29pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Disposing of Ammunition

My father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. His memory problems came to a head three weeks ago with a driving incident. Luckily no one was hurt, but I had to take the steps of hiding his car keys and disabling the car. I also unloaded his handguns and hid the ammo.

This was while I was visiting (FL) for a long weekend, so I was a little rushed and was not able to dispose of the ammo properly. Next time I visit I need to get the ammo out of the house. I may also take the guns home with me, but its not worth taking ammo as part of checked luggage.

Throwing live ammo in the garbage seems like a bad idea. Does anyone have other suggestions? Would a police department be willing to take it, or maybe a gun shop or range would be able to dispose of it properly? This is not a major stockpile; maybe 50 rounds each of .44 mag, .45ACP, and .32 auto.

The situation sucks and I hate emasculating him this way, but he's past the point where he should be handling firearms.

Any suggestions are welcome, I shoot but have never wanted to get rid of live ammo before. Its usually more fun to use it for making little holes in a paper target.

Posted On:
    11/15/2009 6:40pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only thing I can think to do is sell the ammunition. If nothing else, you could start a thread in the classifieds and post to this thread with the link. As for the weapons, you could sell them on consignment if you didn't want to keep them.

My grandmother had a sudden mental decline from Alzheimer's, so I know how shitty you might feel about selling some of your father's possessions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2009 7:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Robstafarian. Money is not really an issue, I just want to do the safe thing with the ammo. The guns I'd rather keep as mementos, he's had two since before I was born: a 1917 Colt DAA and a 03-A3 Springfield. He's already given me a couple long guns and I believe he'll want me to have these, if he's thinking rationally.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2009 10:28pm

Style: Brawling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It wouldn't take long to shoot that amount of ammo at the range yourself. You can call a gun that local and ask them if they'll take the ammo or just go there and shoot it up.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/15/2009 10:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ex-Tomiki Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm with panthersix here. Unless you really want to turn around and get some kind of money out of it, your best option to dispose of them is to fire them off.

Crappler Extraordinaire

Posted On:
    11/16/2009 12:09am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you just want to get rid of it and don't have the time or inclination to shoot it yourself, I'm sure taking it to a gun range and explaining why you're trying to get rid of it would be perfectly acceptable. The people who own/operate the range will probably just shoot it themselves.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2009 1:34am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    call the range first. in some jurisdictions, you need a firearms identification card to even possess ammo. in other words, you could get busted for trying to safely dispose of your dad's ammo. So, call first, ask them what you should do to safely and legally dispose of the ammo.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    11/16/2009 1:52am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can tell us what state you're in, we can help you with it. There are very few where crawford's concern would be a problem, but in Illinois, for instance, it could be an issue.
    Unless it's factory boxed with matching headstamps, a lot of people would be nervous about taking it even for free because they'd wonder if there were handloads in it (ammunition loaded by the shooter himself--some people ride the edge of safe pressures, and what was safe in their gun might not be in the next guy's--and that's if they haven't made a mistake.) But I think it would be easy to find someone who would want it.

You actually could toss it in the garbage or even a burn barrel with little danger; the primers would explode in a fire, or if struck when the garbage was dumped or compacted, but without a gun's chamber to contain the force of the gunpowder's ignition, the casing will burst or the bullet pop out or both, and that will drop the pressure such that smokeless powder will fizzle and burn but not propel the bullet far. This is less true of cartridges loaded with black powder (if anyone has such a thing) because black powder is an explosive, so the bullets won't be a big danger but the explosion and flying brass might be.

Either way, ammunition is like gold today and it's pointless to throw it away. I'm just sorry to hear about your dad. That's a time we all dread, and it sucks that you have to take responsibility for dealing with it. I hope you can take comfort in the fact that your dad would surely agree with you if/when he's lucid and has a chance to think clearly about this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2009 9:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you all. My Dad's in Florida, so I doubt that I need a permit to posses ammo there. Shooting it would be fun, but I won't have time this trip.

Don Gwynn - thanks for the advice. It is a shame to throw out ammo, but since its safe, that may be my best option. This trip will only be a couple days and my main agenda is to take care of my dad.

As a casual shooter I don't post in this forum very often; I'm not expert enough to offer many opinions. Its great though to have access to people who are expert. The signal to noise ratio in the armory is pretty darn high.