Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 11:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Yoshinkan Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    How would rank what he does with what Bas Rutten does? You grouped them together as great martial artists with skills that work. Do you truly feel their techniques and approaches are on par with each other?
    Hi. I wasn't so much comparing the two people as martial artists. I was simply using Bas as a reference that I have trained with some people who we can all agree has strong technique. Most people that have trained with some quality fighters are not as easily impressed with bs teachers... that was my point. Since I have a new login here, you guys don't know me, so I was just adding some reference.

Pretty difficult to compare the two. Apples and Oranges. Bas trains professional fighters to fight other professional fighters. Kenji trains regular everyday people to learn self defense and some practical techniques. I've always liked Bas because despite being a freak of nature athletically, he has very solid technique and is a very intelligent fighter. I've learned a lot from him, and I consider him a great teacher.

As far as striking goes, Kenji knows his stuff. At 5'6 140 lbs and 60 years old, the guy hits like a ton of bricks, and moves extremely well on his feet. I was very impressed with his grappling skills. I've rolled with enough guys to know has solid technique. I'm 6'3 245 so it's not really a fair matchup physically, but his technique is strong and solid and he can throw me without a problem. Despite our size difference, once he puts a technique on, I can't power out of it... I'm forced to tap.

What he teaches in Aikisambo is primarily for self defense. He takes what he feels is practical out of Yoshinkan Aikido, Sambo, and karate and teaches a good well rounded self defense art. He also teaches some very high level aikido and sambo submissions that probably won't serve you well in mma, but are fun to learn and will make you a better martial artist by struggling through the learning process. Much like bjj, there are a ton of techniques you may never pull off in a competition, but by learning them, you learn to move better and understand the body better.

Posted On:
    11/07/2011 11:46pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One last thing. I'm not trying to pick any fights here, and I don't mean to offend anyone. I just caught this thread on a google search looking for Kenji's website, and I wanted to show my friend a little support. He's a solid guy and a solid martial artist, and I hate seeing him compared to some mcdojo fraud. He doesn't deserve that. I'm sure you guys would stick up for your teachers and training partners as well.

Peace! Good luck in all your training!!

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 4:11am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Casey, check out http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=109577&page=1 good thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 9:24am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well said Casey. I will echo that Nakazawa is very quick and hits very hard. I definitely left that 12 hour seminar sore. As I said previously, the submissions were fun, and informative, and we are now playing with them in our JJJ classes during randori, and slipping them into our aikido jiyu waza.

Posted On:
    11/08/2011 12:02pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the support Daishi! I think anyone that has spent some time training with him can vouch for his skills.

One thing I would like to add. Kenji has been training in traditional Japanese martial arts his entire life: Judo, iaido, karate, aikido, etc. He is very proud of his heritage, and holds many high ranks in the arts. He could have very well, spent the rest of his days just teaching what he had learned. Kenji is hardcore and always willing to learn something new. In his 50s, Kenji began training under a Russian instructor in Sambo. He continues to train and roll with guys half his age and twice his size. I think that says a lot about the guy and is the very spirit of what most of you guys preach here on Bullshido. I think he actually exemplifies the spirit of this website... that's why I hate to hear him talked about in negative light. How many of us in our 50s, with years of experience will be willing to start all over and try something new with an open mind and no ego.

We took Kenji out here in CA to a park to enjoy some good food and relax. The guy took off his shirt and started doing pushups, jogging, working his kicks on a tree... he is ALWAYS training. If you ever get a chance, he is a great guy to work out with. The guys in their 20s couldn't even keep up with him.

(Backfistmonkey.. thanks for the link.. I'll check it out and post on there.)
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567