Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2009 6:19pm

Style: Universal Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't seen the whole fight but I hate seeing Manny eat punches like that.
    Even though he CAN and he is winning.
    Mayweather will exploit that.

jmp

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/17/2009 12:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    I feel like Pacquiao's aura of infallibility faded, if just a bit. Cotto's never been known for his jab or keeping opponents on the outside. Even in the late rounds, though, he still managed to keep landing the left, and even managed to get in some solid hooks and power shots. While it was all for naught in the end, I can't help but feel like Mayweather is seeing the same things I am, the small holes in Manny's game that he might be able to exploit. Yes, we've learned that size doesn't limit Pac-man's handspeed, power, or newly discovered chin, but it's still something that Floyd could take advantage of.
    I see what you are saying but I don't know what you expected. Miguel Cotto is a legit contender at 147, he's going to land punches. And he may not be known for his jab but he was throwing it well, those would have landed on most fighters. As far as keeping him on the outside I would argue that Pacquiao wanted to stay on the outside. The smaller man doesn't want to get into a phone booth fight with the bigger, stronger opponent. Especially when the bigger guy specializes at those type of fights. Pacquiao IMO did a good job being cautious late in the fight and whenever Cotto stopped to exchange he got rocked.

And I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised Pacquaio took some shots, throughout his career he hasn't really been a defensive stylist. He has made a lot of progress recently but when you look at his resume he eats some shots. He showed some nice defensive wrinkles against an overrated Hatton and an over the hill DLH but when he was making his name for himself against hall of famers like Barrera, Morales, and Marquez he ate some shots.

I think most people expected Cotto to dish out some punishment, which is why quite a few people in the know were picking him to win. No one knew how Pacquiao would react to getting popped by a strong, determined 147 lb fighter. We got our answer, he never seemed to be really hurt by Cotto's shots and he was obviously the more explosive puncher.

Whether or not he beats Mayweather I can't say. I just disagree with the notion that somehow Pacquaio looked shaky or vulnerable in his win. Talk about mystique, I just saw a guy who moved up from 106 demolish a good welterweight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2009 12:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not surprised to see Many eating shots.
    Its just that he's going to keep getting stronger and better opponents.

I predict that the Mayweather fight will be long and ugly and that Manny can beat him. But he'll pay for it in the process.

I love watching him fight. As he gets older he will need better defense.
    It would be depressing to see a punch drunk manny doing interviews on late night TV in 5 years.

jmp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2009 12:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    P.S.

For those that haven't seen the fight it is airing on HBO Saturday night.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12