Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 5:15pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
    I think I see where you're coming from chainpunch. I'm not trying to bust your balls for being a defender of the chun, I just couldn't see what your reasoning was for it.

Some of the critisism it gets can be unfair and is little more that a knee jerk as you said but the style and it's practitioners, almost universally, ask for it. As someone pointed out, people don't choose to be retarded but they do choose the chun.
    First of all I find my self continuously stating I am not defending WC and I don't claim better skills or a better style. Its never been my undertaking to prove there is good WC and if I could prove it it still wont make the bad WC better so whats the point? One more time phrased differently lets just flush WC.

Yes, most all WC people deserve ridicule and I don't oppose it. There becomes a point though where the people ridiculing become ridiculous themselves. I am not here to actually stop all WC bashing, again, I am mostly for it so when I call a turkey a turkey please no need to think I am against all turkey calls.

Tonuzaba,

Take downs and throws accomplish the same thing so it is a case of semantics but most know that throws of the judo flavor actually throw you even if a short distance while take downs might throw you they can be done in place since wrestling take downs often lift you where you stand vs the judo throws often hurl you. Some moves blur the lines, I was mostly being technical because I was told I did not know what I was talking about. I dont think anyone can honestly say the wrestling take downs formally belong in either bjj or judo but many schools have evolved to use them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2010 2:02am

Style: bjj (blue) Judo (green)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    YouTube- Hardcore Dancing

Full contact wing chun?

No?

It looks similar to the original post
    Man, that's some angry ****. Just watching it raised my blood pressure to an unhealthy level.

Posted On:
    8/24/2010 10:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai/BrazilianNewaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got a better video. Forgive me if it's already on here but i havent seen it.
    YouTube- wing chun vs street fighter
    Yeah idk that was straight out chun...maybe they have had teh deadly all this time?

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/24/2010 11:03pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been waiting for that video since this thread originally started. I was shocked, and pleasantly surprised, that it wasn't posted. You just ruined my hope that people have grown.

Yes, it has been posted before and it is from a movie.

Posted On:
    8/24/2010 11:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai/BrazilianNewaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok i know it's from a movie i was hopeing to have some comic relief on this forum, but you ruined it:(
    I did not now it was already posted though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2010 9:36am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chainpunch View Post
    I dont think anyone can honestly say the wrestling take downs formally belong in either bjj or judo but many schools have evolved to use them.
    Actually, from what I understand, its pretty much the opposite for Judo. They are trying to evolve away from wrestling takedowns by changing their tournament rules to no longer allow attacks to the lower body. Nevertheless, takedowns like single-legs and double-legs have always existed in Judo.

Since BJJ was an offshoot of Judo, it follows that the same takedowns were known by the early BJJers. Still, a lot of BJJ guys are pretty notorious for not being very good at takedowns. Not because we don't know about them, but because its the part of grappling we focus the least on.

At my current BJJ school we have several college wrestlers who run take-down classes. They teach the same techniques I learned at a former BJJ school from a BJJ black belt who had no former wrestling experience. They're the same techniques, its just that the wrestlers are better at them, and I'm sure my old instructor would be the first to admit it.

If Wing Chun wants to be relevant, it could take a lesson from BJJ. If you've got a deficiency somewhere in your training, drop your false pride and learn from someone who is better than you. If all you throw are arm punches, then bring in a boxing instructor and learn to throw them the right way. If there's anything in your WC training that's worth keeping, it'll surface when you spar with experienced strikers from other disciplines. If there isn't, then at least you found out before you wasted your whole life on it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2010 10:00am

Style: Weightlifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrett View Post
    take a lesson from BJJ.

If all you throw are arm punches, then bring in a boxing instructor

Do bjj lessons... Learn boxing...

Thats solid advice not only for chunners but for any one if you ask me
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213