Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2009 3:53am

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    6. Do not goad a higher rank. After you have been tapped 6 times in 2 minutes do not restart and say "come on bring it".
    great post coach josh, but I am having a little bit of a problem understanding this part, maybe I am just taking it wrong.

When I am at Judo or MT, I get beat on and I get beat on hard. I'll roll with black belts and I'll spar with our pro fighters. And everytime I get subbed or get knocked down I get up, smile and say "bet you can't do it again" or some other smart ass comment, knowing full well they are capable of doing just that. Its mostly a joke, but it is also me saying that even though I am slowing down, I don't want my partner to let up. I know I am going to get beat on, but it is better to take my beatings in the gym than in the cage or on da streetz. I don't see a problem with that, and my training partners seem to think its funny.

However, if this is said with anger and the person starts to spaz out, that could be a problem. Just wasn't sure how you meant it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2009 10:32am

Style: BJJ/MuayThai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    great post coach josh, but I am having a little bit of a problem understanding this part, maybe I am just taking it wrong.

When I am at Judo or MT, I get beat on and I get beat on hard. I'll roll with black belts and I'll spar with our pro fighters. And everytime I get subbed or get knocked down I get up, smile and say "bet you can't do it again" or some other smart ass comment, knowing full well they are capable of doing just that. Its mostly a joke, but it is also me saying that even though I am slowing down, I don't want my partner to let up. I know I am going to get beat on, but it is better to take my beatings in the gym than in the cage or on da streetz. I don't see a problem with that, and my training partners seem to think its funny.

However, if this is said with anger and the person starts to spaz out, that could be a problem. Just wasn't sure how you meant it.
    You may want to ensure 100% that your training partners see this as a compliment. This seems like the kind of smartass joke that could very easily be misinterpreted.

Last night I was rolling with a guy much smaller than me. I ended up in mount, with him sort of on his side and somehow I had his arms under me. For some reason he didn't bridge. I see his neck totally defenseless and say "I wonder if I can can get a RNC from mount..." and go for it. He taps, I chuckle a bit because I was surprised that it was even possible. He asked me why I was laughing (he seemed insulted) and I assured him it was because I had no idea you could possibly get a RNC from mount.

What I'm trying to say is actions are easily misinterpreted.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    11/18/2009 1:29pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post

I do the same thing, I chatter during Randori, and will often tease my opponent during newaza. Then again, my entire club knows I'm a goof so it's ok. I began doing it as a way to stay loose when rolling, to stay calm. It helps me meter my breathing and not spaz or tighten up.

When I compete I do it to confuse my opponents, it occasionally works.

I'd say keep it up, if someone gets their panties in a twist, oh well.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    11/18/2009 2:02pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Beorn I am referring to the beginners. If you have a report with your training partners that is different. If you are a noob and throw down the gauntlet be prepared.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2009 5:13pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rofl, ignatzami, I do the same thing.
    Even in competition (though not so much in MMA comp heh).

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    11/18/2009 7:41pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    11/23/2009 11:16pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More posts moved here: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=1#post2266346

A reminder, this thread is a stickie in the technique forum. "Good thread Coach" doesn't cut it.

Post something topical that hasn't been said before, or don't bother to post at all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2009 11:55pm

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami View Post
    I do the same thing, I chatter during Randori, and will often tease my opponent during newaza. Then again, my entire club knows I'm a goof so it's ok. I began doing it as a way to stay loose when rolling, to stay calm. It helps me meter my breathing and not spaz or tighten up.

When I compete I do it to confuse my opponents, it occasionally works.

I'd say keep it up, if someone gets their panties in a twist, oh well.
    fun story on that note, I was sparring with this 18 year old kid at my MT place, and he is taller and better than me so he is controlling the tempo and just beating me outside. Then I started singing kings of leon's "someone like you" to him because it was on the radio. he was so flustered he didn't know what to do lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2009 7:36pm

Style: Muay Thai, Savate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Don't talk about prior training in karate, TKD, or an RBSD mcdojo when you were 10. It has no relevance to learning BJJ, Judo or MMA. If asked did you take a MA before be honest and say yea I got a BB in karate when I was 12 but haven't practiced in 10 years. In other words don't brag about it because you will seem like a douche.
    I've always found one simple rule to be true: If you have to tell them you have prior training then your prior training is severely lacking.
    It's very easy to tell people who've really trained before from those who are completely new. And usually once members think you've had prior training, they'll ask you about it since it's better for both the partners to have a general idea of skill.

In my case, I recently joined a new gym, it was simple. We did some drills and I was the only one of the new members being able to do those drills completely. At which I was asked if I had prior training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2009 11:11am

Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. Don't talk about prior training in karate, TKD, or an RBSD mcdojo when you were 10. It has no relevance to learning BJJ, Judo or MMA. If asked did you take a MA before be honest and say yea I got a BB in karate when I was 12 but haven't practiced in 10 years. In other words don't brag about it because you will seem like a douche.
    I hang head in shame.

Another question, as instructor of a lesson, how'd you feel if another beginner was teaching another beginner a technique what was already taught/discussed before. If it is unacceptable, what should said beginner do instead?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast