Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2011 1:53pm

Style: Stabbing the Face.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Why Your Martial Art Sucks (in your own words)

tl;dr: Just post reasons why your MA sucks and why you practice it anyway.

Omega's Original Thread: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=31384&page=1

So we have Omega telling us why our martial arts suck. That's nice of him to do that, but Omega does not practice your martial art. You do (or you should). Please talk more about your experiences.

You spend a large portion of your free time training in whatever the **** it is you train in and I assume that you are intimately familiar with your style's strengths and weaknesses.

So without further ado, I will present to you why my martial art(s) suck(s) and why I nutride them anyway. Also, I will make a list of various martial arts I want to cross train in (but don't)

Krav Maga:

Why it Sucks:

1.) Krav Maga will not make you deadly. Nor will it make you into a street fighter, a fist fighter, a knife fighter, gun fighter, a fight fighter or any other sort of fighter. This is directly in contravention to whatever marketing hype is thrown out there. I stepped into my first class expecting to become lethal in the first half hour.

Shows how much my dumb ass knows.

2.) Empty hand weapon disarms will probably get you killed. If your school does not practice and drill the all-important wallet and car keys handoff, it probably won't help you survive.

3.) If your instructors are even remotely competent, Krav is not an easy to learn martial art. There are many techniques that need to be learned and there is a lot of hard sparring. You will not only sweat, you will bleed, vomit and possibly empty your bowels too.

If you want something that's easy and painless to learn, I suggest taking up Hippie Aikido or ATA TKD.

4.) The emphasis on aggression over technique is a one way trip to the hospital. You can shatter the small bones in your hand and wrist if you throw a punch incorrectly for example.

5.) Most of the most hyped up techniques are rather low percentage and will get you killed in a mugging/barfight/monkey dance. If they don't get you killed and you successfully connect on them, see #6 below.

6.) Omega mentioned this under the Muay Thai section of his post, but it's also relevant for Krav. Having to explain to the satisfaction of a prosecuting attorney why you stepped on some poor bastard's throat a dozen times in a bar fight is going to be difficult. Krav is great...for fighting, but the law tends to frown upon fighting, especially when even the n00bs are taught fun things such as striking the opponent in the back of the head repeatedly and with great force.

A good school and a good instructor will teach you the fine line between self defense and fighting. Many instructors however, are not very good. Any student that succeeds on the low % techniques might find himself getting anally violated in prison.

7.) Any art that purports to be RBSD and does not teach you the fine art of de-escalating a conflict is Bullshido. Krav instructors are, from my experience, 50-50 with regards to that. Also included should be emphasis on situational awareness, as that will probably do more than anything else to save your life.

8.) Most good Krav schools teach a healthy amount of standup grappling and ground fighting. However, the disemphasis of such techniques demands that cross training in the grappling arts must occur. See my BJJ section for more information.

9.) It's rather difficult to test out the more theoretical techniques.

Why I Nutride KM Anyway:

1.) It's the closest gym to my house. There's a place with more formal MMA training in my area, but I can't be bothered to drive the extra 10 minutes to get there.

2.) Hype aside, KM is a reasonably good stand-up/striking martial art with a healthy variety of high percentage punches, kicks and standup takedowns. It also never, ever, ever, ever, ever uses point sparring.

3.) The training places emphasis on how to fight at a disadvantage, which is useful, as many people lock up when trying to execute under extreme stress.

4.) Weapons, including improvised ones, are taught early and often.

Why BJJ Sucks:

1.) Getting your face dragged across someone's sweat stained crotch is totally heterosexual and will not set you up for any gay jokes whatsoever.

2.) Failure to cross train in a striking art will result in your **** getting beat by some punk who dabbled in western boxing for a couple of months.

3.) Going to the ground on the street is not very pleasant at all.

4.) Disemphasis on standup grappling and standup takedowns, although I try to fix that by taking something else.

Why I Nutride BJJ Anyway:

1.) I use it to fill the holes in my KM training.

2.) Every class has sparring. Every class.

3.) It teaches you how to not panic and try to aggro your way out of a confrontation and to use the correct techniques.

4.) Grappling is fun.

5.) Neck cranks are fun.

Why Parkour Sucks:

1.) It's the French martial art of running away. I don't have it listed in my user information because I'm not even entirely sure whether it's a martial art or not.

2.) People can't tell the difference between Parkour, which is about mobility and Freerunning, which is a tricks based XMA.

Why I Nutride PK Anyway:

1.) It's the French martial art of running away.

2.) The conditioning, oh god the conditioning.

Martial Arts I Want to Take (but can't/don't):

1.) Capoeira: It looks cool, what can I say? Also, after having my **** unceremoniously dumped on the ground every time I practice takedowns, I figure I can learn something about balance from people who live their lives walking on their hands.

2.) JKD: Because Bruce Lee is my hero.

3.) Eskrima: Who doesn't want to hit something with a stick?

4.) Historical Western Fencing: Too expensive. Can't afford longsword and armor. Looks awesome though.
    Last edited by yli; 5/01/2011 2:09pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/01/2011 1:59pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about this? Post up all of your fight videos, your fight record, your accomplishments, and anything you find relevant to your comment of Omega being a troll.

Oh and he is a troll, but not in the manner that you think.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2011 2:02pm

Style: Stabbing the Face.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did not intend to be a dick about it. I merely wanted people to comment on their own experiences. The only thing that came up in the search for "why your martial art sucks" happened to be Omega's thread. I was not trying to state that the original thread was bad or harmful in any way, I was only trying to get more input from other users.

I'll edit that bit to reflect what I'm actually trying to say.
    Last edited by yli; 5/01/2011 2:14pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/01/2011 2:34pm

Style: G-safe Krav Maga / TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regarding Krav Maga:

Completely feel the same about points 2 to 7.

I aggree with point 1 but I was more sceptical during my first class. Regarding point 8 I'm thinking of cross training in striking since our instructor puts the disemphasis on that.

And I'm adding point 5 to the nutriding: Its fun.
    Last edited by Rzero; 5/01/2011 3:11pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2011 12:10pm

Style: Muay Thai & Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My martial arts don't suck...
    I suck at them.

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    5/02/2011 12:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    EDIT: Never mind, I don't want to deal with it.
    "That was the only way you could destroy me. Neither do I quail at death nor act in deference to any god. So drop your talk, I come resolved to die. But first, there are these gifts I bring for you." At once he hurled a javelin at his enemy, then sent another and another still straight to the mark. - Virgil's The Aeneid

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2011 1:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Deal with what?

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/02/2011 1:15pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yli View Post
    I did not intend to be a dick about it. I merely wanted people to comment on their own experiences. The only thing that came up in the search for "why your martial art sucks" happened to be Omega's thread. I was not trying to state that the original thread was bad or harmful in any way, I was only trying to get more input from other users.

I'll edit that bit to reflect what I'm actually trying to say.
    Wow, you're a dick without even trying? That's absolutely amazing. You make an assumption about me that is the worst position you could ever start with. You assume I haven't trained in those styles? Bad assumption.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    5/02/2011 1:15pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rzero sez: "Deal with what? "

It. duh.
    "Never trust a quote you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2011 1:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    It. duh.
    Pennywise? In that case I suggest silver and an asthma inhaler.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast