222239 Bullies, 3786 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 51 to 60 of 60
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Brian R. VanCise is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Alma, MI
    Posts
    146

    Posted On:
    11/13/2009 11:27am


     Style: IRT/FMA/BJJ/BUDO TAIJUTSU

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jason123 View Post

    You actually think that cheeseburgers overall evading with a jab and weak left hook won the fight? I gave 3/4 of the second to Wren because he actually pushed the fight. He had ring generalship...and cheeseburger was backing up the whole time,, just trying to not get hurt...instead of actually trying to hurt Wren. The only reason the cheese won the last 1/4 of round 2 was because Wren gassed out. Cheese never hurt Wren but Wren caught him with some good shots that hurt him.

    Wren was trying to KTFO Cheese...and cheese was basically evading,jabbing and running in circles.

    Look closely and you can almost see Roy eating a cheeseburger with his right hand during that fight! :eusa_danc

    Though in the end based on points Roy won by a little bit! Heck Roy's jab and footwork kept Wren just out of reach.
  2. Goju - Joe is offline
    Goju - Joe's Avatar

    I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    7,856

    Posted On:
    11/13/2009 11:52am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    I can't comment on how other judges do it, but I take my role extremely seriously because I understand that my decisions affect people's careers and livelihoods.

    You are the next generation of MMA judge - someone with actual MMA experience.

    Howevere most Judges are still Boxing judges and don't understand ****. I.E. Shogun's leg kicks were more damaging than Machida's jabs

    anyways it will take another 5 years for MMA judging to catch up
  3. HappyOldGuy is offline
    HappyOldGuy's Avatar

    Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,825

    Posted On:
    11/13/2009 12:08pm


     Style: Rehab Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe View Post
    You are the next generation of MMA judge - someone with actual MMA experience.

    Howevere most Judges are still Boxing judges and don't understand ****. I.E. Shogun's leg kicks were more damaging than Machida's jabs

    anyways it will take another 5 years for MMA judging to catch up
    You say that like Cecil Peoples was actually good at judging boxing.
  4. Phrost is offline
    Phrost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 1998
    Location
    Cow Town
    Posts
    19,120

    Posted On:
    11/13/2009 12:45pm

    Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's just hope the NSAC gives me a shot at judging for them soon.
  5. Fighting Cephalopod is offline
    Fighting Cephalopod's Avatar

    Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,981

    Posted On:
    11/13/2009 2:27pm

    supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    As fas as I and the sherdog fight finder can tell he never fought Vera.
    He took him down and kneebarred him in the same grappling tournament where he beat Frank Mir and Diego.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.
  6. Lampa is offline
    Lampa's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oceanside, NY
    Posts
    1,288

    Posted On:
    11/13/2009 4:01pm

    Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Let's just hope the NSAC gives me a shot at judging for them soon.
    Because you gave Wren the first round for missing most of his shots and walking straight into a jab. Whereas no amount of "money in the bank" fighting, like clinching and kneeing to the legs or being ten times as accurate counts as much as somehow not getting knocked out while throwing nothing but wild overhands?

    Not looking to sound snotty, I actually think this has to do with the flavor that judging striking in MMA has taken. Most guys who have MMA experience but are mostly just fans have a lot of MT under their belt for striking. And MT scoring does involve looking pretty. The last man to throw a good high kick wins the exchange even if it's deflected and he ate two jabs to do it because that's read as trying to finish the fight.

    Current MMA judging is flawed in a couple of ways. But I'd really rather not see it take that turn where the guy swinging harder wins points over the guy fighting better.
  7. Phrost is offline
    Phrost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 1998
    Location
    Cow Town
    Posts
    19,120

    Posted On:
    11/13/2009 4:09pm

    Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have to score based on damage and who put the most effort into winning the fight. In round 1, that did not describe Roy Nelson.

    It's got nothing to do with who was swinging harder.
  8. Lampa is offline
    Lampa's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Oceanside, NY
    Posts
    1,288

    Posted On:
    11/13/2009 4:23pm

    Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    You have to score based on damage and who put the most effort into winning the fight. In round 1, that did not describe Roy Nelson.

    It's got nothing to do with who was swinging harder.
    Damage is a sketchy thing. Roy got rocked once, recovered quickly, and showed no signs of lasting effect four seconds after the punch landed. Meanwhile, Roy was landing knees to the legs in that one clinch, as well as other shots that tend to break down a tiring opponent. And he landed them against Wren who even in the first round was in danger of punching himself out. I see Roy as doing more damage over the course of the round, in that case.

    As for effort to win the fight, the Unified Rules of MMA have a surprisingly specific definition of how to score aggression and where it falls on the heirarchy of scoring a round. Way more specific than the nebulous term "octagon control." So, if you disagree on how that was taken into account your argument is with the rule set and not the judges.

    P.S. Have I mentioned how much I love being able to intelligently argue scoring online? BS knows I love her, but I so rarely say it.
  9. Phrost is offline
    Phrost's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 1998
    Location
    Cow Town
    Posts
    19,120

    Posted On:
    11/13/2009 4:37pm

    Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like I'd originally said, I watched the fight as a fan, not a judge. Hell, as a fan I'm hoping Nelson wins the whole thing because it'd just be a spectacular trainwreck; guy who's ripped and hyped to no end gets eliminated early, guy who looks like he just walked in off the street gets put on the wall of the UFC Training Center.

    Still, Roy was well on the way to being KO'd and didn't do an equal amount of damage in that round. It's not Pride, you don't score the fight based on cumulative damage over its entire course, you do it round by round.

    It's the fighter's job to finish it. If his strategy is to wear the other guy down with light shots so he can finish him in the later rounds, that's the risk he chooses to take. It's my job to judge what he does in an individual round on its own. Heck, they even pick up our score cards after each round in most cases.
  10. PunchyMcFace is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    265

    Posted On:
    11/16/2009 4:38pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Wren won round 1, 10-9

    Roy won round 2, 10-9. Should have gone to a third round, in which I suspect Roy would have taken another 10-9.

    I can't see Wren winning or tying round 2, nor could he have possibly gotten a 10-8 in the first. But I didn't see Roy winning or tying round 1 either, he took some significant shots. Should have gone to a third round.

    I still hope he wins the whole thing, it will piss Dana off to no end. And I forgot about the pics on the wall of the training center, that'll be great.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.