Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2009 11:27am

Style: IRT/FMA/BJJ/BUDO TAIJUTSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jason123 View Post

You actually think that cheeseburgers overall evading with a jab and weak left hook won the fight? I gave 3/4 of the second to Wren because he actually pushed the fight. He had ring generalship...and cheeseburger was backing up the whole time,, just trying to not get hurt...instead of actually trying to hurt Wren. The only reason the cheese won the last 1/4 of round 2 was because Wren gassed out. Cheese never hurt Wren but Wren caught him with some good shots that hurt him.

Wren was trying to KTFO Cheese...and cheese was basically evading,jabbing and running in circles.

Look closely and you can almost see Roy eating a cheeseburger with his right hand during that fight! :eusa_danc

Though in the end based on points Roy won by a little bit! Heck Roy's jab and footwork kept Wren just out of reach.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    11/13/2009 11:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    I can't comment on how other judges do it, but I take my role extremely seriously because I understand that my decisions affect people's careers and livelihoods.

You are the next generation of MMA judge - someone with actual MMA experience.

Howevere most Judges are still Boxing judges and don't understand ****. I.E. Shogun's leg kicks were more damaging than Machida's jabs

anyways it will take another 5 years for MMA judging to catch up

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    11/13/2009 12:08pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - Joe View Post
    You are the next generation of MMA judge - someone with actual MMA experience.

Howevere most Judges are still Boxing judges and don't understand ****. I.E. Shogun's leg kicks were more damaging than Machida's jabs

anyways it will take another 5 years for MMA judging to catch up
    You say that like Cecil Peoples was actually good at judging boxing.

Posted On:
    11/13/2009 12:45pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's just hope the NSAC gives me a shot at judging for them soon.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    11/13/2009 2:27pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical View Post
    As fas as I and the sherdog fight finder can tell he never fought Vera.
    He took him down and kneebarred him in the same grappling tournament where he beat Frank Mir and Diego.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/13/2009 4:01pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's just hope the NSAC gives me a shot at judging for them soon.
    Because you gave Wren the first round for missing most of his shots and walking straight into a jab. Whereas no amount of "money in the bank" fighting, like clinching and kneeing to the legs or being ten times as accurate counts as much as somehow not getting knocked out while throwing nothing but wild overhands?

Not looking to sound snotty, I actually think this has to do with the flavor that judging striking in MMA has taken. Most guys who have MMA experience but are mostly just fans have a lot of MT under their belt for striking. And MT scoring does involve looking pretty. The last man to throw a good high kick wins the exchange even if it's deflected and he ate two jabs to do it because that's read as trying to finish the fight.

Current MMA judging is flawed in a couple of ways. But I'd really rather not see it take that turn where the guy swinging harder wins points over the guy fighting better.

Posted On:
    11/13/2009 4:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have to score based on damage and who put the most effort into winning the fight. In round 1, that did not describe Roy Nelson.

It's got nothing to do with who was swinging harder.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/13/2009 4:23pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You have to score based on damage and who put the most effort into winning the fight. In round 1, that did not describe Roy Nelson.

It's got nothing to do with who was swinging harder.
    Damage is a sketchy thing. Roy got rocked once, recovered quickly, and showed no signs of lasting effect four seconds after the punch landed. Meanwhile, Roy was landing knees to the legs in that one clinch, as well as other shots that tend to break down a tiring opponent. And he landed them against Wren who even in the first round was in danger of punching himself out. I see Roy as doing more damage over the course of the round, in that case.

As for effort to win the fight, the Unified Rules of MMA have a surprisingly specific definition of how to score aggression and where it falls on the heirarchy of scoring a round. Way more specific than the nebulous term "octagon control." So, if you disagree on how that was taken into account your argument is with the rule set and not the judges.

P.S. Have I mentioned how much I love being able to intelligently argue scoring online? BS knows I love her, but I so rarely say it.

Posted On:
    11/13/2009 4:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like I'd originally said, I watched the fight as a fan, not a judge. Hell, as a fan I'm hoping Nelson wins the whole thing because it'd just be a spectacular trainwreck; guy who's ripped and hyped to no end gets eliminated early, guy who looks like he just walked in off the street gets put on the wall of the UFC Training Center.

Still, Roy was well on the way to being KO'd and didn't do an equal amount of damage in that round. It's not Pride, you don't score the fight based on cumulative damage over its entire course, you do it round by round.

It's the fighter's job to finish it. If his strategy is to wear the other guy down with light shots so he can finish him in the later rounds, that's the risk he chooses to take. It's my job to judge what he does in an individual round on its own. Heck, they even pick up our score cards after each round in most cases.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2009 4:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Wren won round 1, 10-9

Roy won round 2, 10-9. Should have gone to a third round, in which I suspect Roy would have taken another 10-9.

I can't see Wren winning or tying round 2, nor could he have possibly gotten a 10-8 in the first. But I didn't see Roy winning or tying round 1 either, he took some significant shots. Should have gone to a third round.

I still hope he wins the whole thing, it will piss Dana off to no end. And I forgot about the pics on the wall of the training center, that'll be great.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456