Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 7:25pm

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
    Hehe, I am 27 by now. While that's still young enough, I figure once I (should I, ever) settle down, things will get more difficult. - I mean, right now, when I get to train, I train five times a week, and more.

Once there is a missus in my life I take more seriously, let alone job and (almost faints) some babee Rafes, things might well change.

- And that'd better happen soon! Kimbo marrying has made my inner clock freak out!

Ok, I understand now:profe:

Random question of slight awkwardness:

Are you of German decent, or is your ancestry from elsewhere? I ask, because on my mother's side, is German (Raaf surname), and Irish (Flaherty). I know Rafe is your first name, but I can't help but think Raaf and Rafe are somehow variations of spelling. Just out of pure curiosity, and boredom.
    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

-Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
    Bill Cosby

The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
    Greek proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 8:16pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're in the US then try for grappling, few parents would be happy with something like Boxing or Muay Thai, and you know how litigation happy we tend to be over here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 8:56pm

Style: bjj brown belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In Minden, LA, a small town 20 mins. east of Shreveport. Minden High has the first accredited course in MMA. The instructor was telling me at a tourney Sat. that it took a while to get the paper work filled and done but the are having to turn students away because the class is filled.
    Last edited by gandp1120; 11/11/2009 8:59pm at .

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 9:42pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A private religious school here in Rochester has a boxing program, and they apparently put on shows with their high schoolers. The organization is called Mission Bouts, and it's run by the owner of a local boxing gym- http://rocboxing.com/contact.htm

See if you can get in touch and maybe get some pointers. Upon further research, they're one of only three in the whole country, and I think they're all private schools. If you work in a public school, best of luck floating the idea of a boxing program past any kind of sanctioning board.

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 9:47pm

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Public schools (high school) would be a hard sell for martial arts programs because of how lawsuit-happy people get.

In fencing and wrestling, you aren't allowed to choke your opponent...
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 10:51pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo is part of the PE curriculum in a lot of schools in Europe and Asia; France, Japan and Korea in particular. TKD is part of the curriculum in Korea and you can even get a Bachelor degree in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2009 2:21am

Style: TKD, wrestling, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I teach jr. high (middle school) and I have full support from my admin for starting an MA club that follows our wrestling season.

In fact martial arts is written in as an acceptable activity as part of our regions phys-ed curriculum.

Safety of course is always the number one concern so be aware of your students and the culture of your community before undertaking an MA program that is new to the school. Other than that be creative with how you approach the training. Remember you deal with kids so the approach you use with them within a school environment will be different than how you deal with adults in a gym environment.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    11/12/2009 2:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    I drew up an "Ettiquete of Grappling", basically a list or rules, and each student had to sign it.
    This sounds interesting. Still have the file?

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    I teach jr. high (middle school) and I have full support from my admin for starting an MA club that follows our wrestling season.
    What do you guys do? Is it more BJJ or TKD?

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    11/12/2009 4:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks again, everyone! Very cool info, definitely helps me to define what I am looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    The students who I train are all guys, so not a problem there (i didnt specificaly set out to have it that way, girls just weren't interested)

They have to be senior cycle students, meaning they are all 16 or above.

I drew up an "Ettiquete of Grappling", basically a list or rules, and each student had to sign it. I also had their parents sign a waiver form, considering it is a contact sport.

After that I run it just like a normal bjj class is run. The kids roll with each other, and I'll also roll with most if not all of them at each session (they love the oppertunity to try and tap me out).

When pitching the idea to my principal, i put it forward as a sport rather than a martial art, and actually likened it to high school wrestling in order to give him some concept of what i was doing

As an aside, I now also give classes to some of the teachers in the school on a seperate evening
    Wow, thanks a lot! - I literally yearn to learn BJJ, but with respect to my school carreer, I would maybe prefer Judo or boxing, because they seem more compatible with school sports.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFoxtrot51 View Post
    Public schools (high school) would be a hard sell for martial arts programs because of how lawsuit-happy people get.
    Exactly my point. Even with less touchy sports, pretty fucked up things might happen once you let the kids on the loose.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2009 5:30am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    This sounds interesting. Still have the file?
    PM'd you
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast