Posted On:
    11/11/2009 11:11am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Martial arts in high school/other equal educational institutions

Hi all,

I am just wondering:

What are your experiences with martial arts training in school (essentially pre-college, or university)?

- Can full-contact sports/progessive MAs like BJJ, MT, etc. be trained in a school environment?

I would rather think that the usual 5th-grader's reaction to BJJ is the same Cartman and the rest of the Southpark crew display when confronted with *real* wrestling... ("OMG, how gay!")

This is a serious question, because I am going to be a teacher and currently on a forced hiatus from MAs. The next style I pic for me will probably be the last one I can train seriously, and I am contemplating what could be the best one to, in a far future, become a coach in a school environment.

Thanks,

Rafe
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonist; 11/11/2009 11:16am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 12:19pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rafael, I am a Physical Education teacher in Ireland, and as one of the extra-curricular activities in the school, I run a no-gi club for senior students. The kids who take part love it, my only problem is getting any competition for them, as its not like high school wrestling in America, we have no background in it.

Having said that, re the second part of your post, our secondary schools (equivelant to your high schools) would not have full time coaches in our sports (well a very small minority of private schools might have it for there most competitive teams), so I cant answer to that.

Bjj (sub grappling etc) is a viable option with regards to extra-curricular activities

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 12:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I've seen here in the Philippines is that schools often accredit clubs from which varsity teams are then formed. These are most common with MAs that have established competition leagues, such as Boxing, Judo, Karate, Arnis & TKD.

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 12:59pm

Style: Judo+soon 2b bjj,boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafael View Post
    This is a serious question, because I am going to be a teacher and currently on a forced hiatus from MAs. The next style I pic for me will probably be the last one I can train seriously, and I am contemplating what could be the best one to, in a far future, become a coach in a school environment.

Thanks,

Rafe
    What exactly do you mean by the bolded above? Don't have the time to train anything else, location, work load in school/career?:psyduck:
    Let your anger be like a monkey trapped inside a pinata; waiting inside, hoping that the children don't break through with the stick.

-Master Tang (Kung Pow! Enter the Fist)

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice.
    Bill Cosby

The believer is happy, the doubter wise.
    Greek proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    Martial Talk is not neutral, it's just neutered.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 1:05pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, my gf's PE teacher was a 5th dan Kyokushin blackbelt. They did karate a couple of times in PE. They also wrestled around. I've heard of similar occurrences if the teacher is somewhat competent in stuff like that (western kickboxing is quite popular here, for example).

Or are you talking about extracurricular activities? I know we have MA clubs in universities here in Norway, but not in "regular" school.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 1:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    <obligitory judo nutrider post>
    judo, duh
    </obligitory judo nutrider post>
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 3:29pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My niece just started highschool at some fancy performing arts school, and she told me that one of her classes is mixed martial arts. She just got a black belt in some god-awful karate, by the way. I'll be sure to ask how the class is going and what kind of stuff they practice.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 3:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you very much, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    Rafael, I am a Physical Education teacher in Ireland, and as one of the extra-curricular activities in the school, I run a no-gi club for senior students. The kids who take part love it, my only problem is getting any competition for them, as its not like high school wrestling in America, we have no background in it.

Having said that, re the second part of your post, our secondary schools (equivelant to your high schools) would not have full time coaches in our sports (well a very small minority of private schools might have it for there most competitive teams), so I cant answer to that.

Bjj (sub grappling etc) is a viable option with regards to extra-curricular activities
    That's exactly what I was talking about - I am studying to be a language teacher, but since it is somewhat expected that every teacher helms at least one extra-curricular activity, I had always been eyeing MAs for that purpose.

Could you please detail your experiences? - I have virtually no experience with grappling, but BJJ would be the one sport that I would really be thrilled to learn.
    - How do you regulate grappling, especially with girls? I must confess I'd be somewhat afraid that the students would make up something about me touching them in an indecent way. You know, rolling down on the floor some unknown children seems a bit risky, considering all the **** that pupils tend to talk.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenOfAnger View Post
    What exactly do you mean by the bolded above? Don't have the time to train anything else, location, work load in school/career?:psyduck:
    Hehe, I am 27 by now. While that's still young enough, I figure once I (should I, ever) settle down, things will get more difficult. - I mean, right now, when I get to train, I train five times a week, and more.

Once there is a missus in my life I take more seriously, let alone job and (almost faints) some babee Rafes, things might well change.

- And that'd better happen soon! Kimbo marrying has made my inner clock freak out!
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonist; 11/11/2009 3:49pm at .

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 6:32pm

Style: Koryu Budo, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrestling (or fencing if you go to one of them fancy schools). At least that's all I've seen on a wide scale in the US of A. If anything, you can learn the double leg takedown well enough. Didn't schools once have boxing?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 6:49pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could you please detail your experiences? - I have virtually no experience with grappling, but BJJ would be the one sport that I would really be thrilled to learn.

How do you regulate grappling, especially with girls? I must confess I'd be somewhat afraid that the students would make up something about me touching them in an indecent way. You know, rolling down on the floor some unknown children seems a bit risky, considering all the **** that pupils tend to talk.
    The students who I train are all guys, so not a problem there (i didnt specificaly set out to have it that way, girls just weren't interested)

They have to be senior cycle students, meaning they are all 16 or above.

I drew up an "Ettiquete of Grappling", basically a list or rules, and each student had to sign it. I also had their parents sign a waiver form, considering it is a contact sport.

After that I run it just like a normal bjj class is run. The kids roll with each other, and I'll also roll with most if not all of them at each session (they love the oppertunity to try and tap me out).

When pitching the idea to my principal, i put it forward as a sport rather than a martial art, and actually likened it to high school wrestling in order to give him some concept of what i was doing

As an aside, I now also give classes to some of the teachers in the school on a seperate evening
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast