Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/12/2009 10:34pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wasn't going to post this, but then I decided that the OP will benefit from all (relevant) contributions to the discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    That being said, a 4" 8-shot .357 from Taurus costs about 425 bucks. All the capacity of a 1911, and twice the stopping power (Or 3X the power if you get sick loads.)
    I thought about suggesting that gun, but I decided that the lack of speed loaders made for it meant that it was of little use to a security guard. Doesn't .357 Magnum have an established history of excessive penetration (as in leaving the back of an individual who was shot in the front of the torso)?

The Taurus Model 608 is completely out of stock at Bud's, but the four inch barreled version was last $366 in blued finish and $465 in stainless steel. The six inch barreled version was last $479 in stainless steel.
    Hi-point makes 9mm and .45ACP autos for under 200 bucks. They are picky eaters but good shooters. Probably not a piece for a gun noob, however. They often require some minor tinkering to get reliable performance.
    I also considered suggesting Hi-Point, but I thought the weight, size, and shape of them could be problematic when carrying for work. Hi-Point seems to have two model numbers for each of these guns, and I have no idea what the differences are.

The Hi-Point in 9mm Luger (eight round) is $169 with 3.5 inch barrel at Bud's Gun Shop.

The Hi-Point in .40SW (10 round) with 4.5 inch barrel is $160 for model number 34010 and $149 for model number 34013 at Bud's Gun Shop.

The Hi-Point in .45ACP (nine round) with 4.5 inch barrel is $160 for model number 34510 and $166 for model number 34513 at Bud's Gun Shop.
    Taurus has a couple of 9mm for under 400 bucks. They are good, reliable weapons, but at that price they are pretty minimal pieces.
    I figured the price of the Ruger P95 meant that I shouldn't bother mentioning the Taurus pistols which cost more. Note that all of these pistols have the California maximum 10 round capacity.

The Taurus 24/7 PRO (in 9mm Luger) with four inch barrel was last $363 in blued finish, is $374 in stainless steel, and is $374 in duo-tone at Bud's Gun Shop.

The Taurus 24/7 PRO (in 9mm Luger) with 5.2 inch barrel is $384 in blued finish and $395 in stainless steel at Bud's Gun Shop.

The Taurus 24/7 PRO (in .40SW) with four inch barrel is $363 in blued finish, $374 in stainless steel, and $374 in duo-tone at Bud's Gun Shop.

The Taurus 24/7 PRO (in .45ACP) with a 4.25 inch barrel is $363 in blued finish, was last $374 in stainless steel with four inch barrel, and is $374 in duo-tone with four inch barrel at Bud's Gun Shop.
    Go with a full-size Taurus revolver and you will be very happy with power and performance for under 400 bucks.
    This is true, but I decided the Ruger GP100 I found was close enough to the Taurus prices that they shouldn't be mentioned.

The Taurus Model 82 (six shot .38 Special) with a four inch barrel is $327 in blued finish and $359 in stainless steel at Bud's Gun Shop.

The Taurus Model 65 (six shot .357 Magnum) with four inch barrel is $338 in blued finish and $369 in stainless steel at Bud's Gun Shop.

The Taurus Model 66 (seven shot .357 Magnum) with four inch barrel is out of stock at Bud's, but was last $375 in blued finish and $408 in stainless steel. The six inch barreled version is $374 in blued finish and was last $408 in stainless steel.

The Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale in California is oddly spotty when it comes to Taurus pistols; only certain finishes are on the list for a given model in a given caliber. Similarly, the only Hi Points listed are the 9mm Luger model (C9) and the .380ACP model (CF380).
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    For that price, your choices are probably a revolver, a Glock, a Ruger P series, or maybe a Bersa Thunder.
    Does Bersa make anything full size? I didn't put the Thunder in my price reference because I figured there's no point in a security guard carrying something sized for concealed carry.

Damn, I hope this post helps. It has taken a lot of work, including stopping for dinner in the middle of composing, at the end of a hard day.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    11/12/2009 10:55pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my reponses in italics...

I thought about suggesting that gun, but I decided that the lack of speed loaders made for it meant that it was of little use to a security guard. Doesn't .357 Magnum have an established history of excessive penetration (as in leaving the back of an individual who was shot in the front of the torso)?

-Get good hollow points, or use .38+p.
    -maxfire makes speedloaders for the 608.

The Taurus Model 608 is completely out of stock at Bud's, but the four inch barreled version was last $366 in blued finish and $465 in stainless steel. The six inch barreled version was last $479 in stainless steel.

I also considered suggesting Hi-Point, but I thought the weight, size, and shape of them could be problematic when carrying for work. Hi-Point seems to have two model numbers for each of these guns, and I have no idea what the differences are.

The Hi-Point in 9mm Luger (eight round) is $169 with 3.5 inch barrel at Bud's Gun Shop.

The Hi-Point in .40SW (10 round) with 4.5 inch barrel is $160 for model number 34010 and $149 for model number 34013 at Bud's Gun Shop.

The Hi-Point in .45ACP (nine round) with 4.5 inch barrel is $160 for model number 34510 and $166 for model number 34513 at Bud's Gun Shop.

Hi-points fit most standard holsters. No worse than any other full-size auto.

I figured the price of the Ruger P95 meant that I shouldn't bother mentioning the Taurus pistols which cost more. Note that all of these pistols have the California maximum 10 round capacity.

The Taurus 24/7 PRO (in 9mm Luger) with four inch barrel was last $363 in blued finish, is $374 in stainless steel, and is $374 in duo-tone at Bud's Gun Shop.

The Taurus 24/7 PRO (in 9mm Luger) with 5.2 inch barrel is $384 in blued finish and $395 in stainless steel at Bud's Gun Shop.

The Taurus 24/7 PRO (in .40SW) with four inch barrel is $363 in blued finish, $374 in stainless steel, and $374 in duo-tone at Bud's Gun Shop.

The Taurus 24/7 PRO (in .45ACP) with a 4.25 inch barrel is $363 in blued finish, was last $374 in stainless steel with four inch barrel, and is $374 in duo-tone with four inch barrel at Bud's Gun Shop.

This is true, but I decided the Ruger GP100 I found was close enough to the Taurus prices that they shouldn't be mentioned.

-I get you, but my personal experience has been that Taurus revolvers are as high-quality as Ruger, and even S&W. I realize that this puts me in the minority amongst gun people. But I can't pretend otherwise.

The Taurus Model 82 (six shot .38 Special) with a four inch barrel is $327 in blued finish and $359 in stainless steel at Bud's Gun Shop.

The Taurus Model 65 (six shot .357 Magnum) with four inch barrel is $338 in blued finish and $369 in stainless steel at Bud's Gun Shop.

The Taurus Model 66 (seven shot .357 Magnum) with four inch barrel is out of stock at Bud's, but was last $375 in blued finish and $408 in stainless steel. The six inch barreled version is $374 in blued finish and was last $408 in stainless steel.

I carry one of these every day. Love it and heartily recommend it.

The Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale in California is oddly spotty when it comes to Taurus pistols; only certain finishes are on the list for a given model in a given caliber. Similarly, the only Hi Points listed are the 9mm Luger model (C9) and the .380ACP model (CF380).

-California sucks
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    11/13/2009 12:11am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muay thai, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow Sorry guys haven't been able to get on in a few days. Damn, Forgot to add that i live in California and had training in 9 mil and 45. I've read and looked at some of the stuff, not all, and so far i like what i see. Ill finish looking up the links and thanks again

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    11/13/2009 9:18pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    Does Bersa make anything full size? I didn't put the Thunder in my price reference because I figured there's no point in a security guard carrying something sized for concealed carry.
    I was just thinking a reasonable popular/well regarded firearm in his price range that would be easy to get.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/14/2009 1:22am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should be able to find a used Glock 17 or 22 around the $400 mark.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/14/2009 10:31am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    Teh wisdom.
    That's da troof! Seriously, borrow like $200. and get yourself a nice Glock 17, XD-9, or preferably, a used SIG-226. You will be full of win!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2009 6:52am

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystopia View Post
    wow Sorry guys haven't been able to get on in a few days. Damn, Forgot to add that i live in California and had training in 9 mil and 45. I've read and looked at some of the stuff, not all, and so far i like what i see. Ill finish looking up the links and thanks again
    Glock Sig or Glock or SIg or Glock or Sig ok or an XD.

:thebirdma

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    11/15/2009 11:43am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dammit, there's nothing wrong with a good quality revolver. Personally I would prefer a good classic revolver (not even a "modern" revolver) over a Glock due to much greater comfort when shooting.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    11/15/2009 1:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Come to think of it, the OP would probably benefit from a discussion of holster selection and levels of retention. Should that be a new thread, or would it be acceptable for this thread to evolve a bit?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2009 1:28pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    Dammit, there's nothing wrong with a good quality revolver. Personally I would prefer a good classic revolver (not even a "modern" revolver) over a Glock due to much greater comfort when shooting.

The only way I am going revolver over semi-automatic is if my name is Jerry Miculek. And since I will never be him, or even close to that good, I would go with a semi-auto.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast