Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 2:48am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muay thai, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Newb Guard needs help choosing gun.

Hello everyone. So i just recently became a Security guard and I was wondering if any of you guys can help set me up suitable for me. I'm on a budget of about 300-400 and I'm about 5'7", 160lbs and have small hands if that helps. Thanks

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 4:48am

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1st what caliber of weapon does your state allow or dictate you must carry based on qualifying etc.
    second part is get a glock

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 3:40pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystopia View Post
    Hello everyone. So i just recently became a Security guard and I was wondering if any of you guys can help set me up suitable for me. I'm on a budget of about 300-400 and I'm about 5'7", 160lbs and have small hands if that helps. Thanks
    You should go to a shooting range and rent some pistols to get a feel for how you handle different calibers. For that matter, you might want to try both revolvers and automatics. I recommend nothing less than .38 Special (you'll have to choose loads carefully) in a revolver and nothing less than 9mm Luger in an automatic.

"Small hands" can mean almost anything, since it's entirely subjective. It would be better if you measured from your palm heel to the tip of your index finger and posted the result as two lengths: the width of your palm and the length of your index finger.

That may sound strange, but I'm 5'7" at ~140lbs (I wouldn't call my hands big) and I can handle a full size 1911—a gun some people regard as not being suitable for those with small hands—firing 230gr ball. For a price reference, I bought my Rock Island Armory 1911 for $397 (not including the shooting range's transfer fee).

I typically post links to Bud's Gun Shop for price references, so here's some that might be relevant:

If you want a revolver, look at this Used Ruger GP100 in .357 Magnum with four inch barrel and stainless steel finish.

A cheap option for an automatic is this (new) Ruger P95 in 9mm Luger with blued finish.

I will wait until the discussion has developed further before posting any more price links, though I should also mention that the guns listed above are approved for sale in California...and the fact that they're both Rugers is a coincidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_malk View Post
    1st what caliber of weapon does your state allow or dictate you must carry based on qualifying etc.
    second part is get a glock
    A Glock isn't likely to be in his price range unless used, and finding a used Glock will be complicated by the fact that magazine capacity is limited to 10 rounds in California.

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 5:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sold a great many Ruger semi-autos when I worked in a retail gun store, I never had any brought in for service. A GP 100 would also be a solid choice in that price range. I'd suggest you try to scrounge up a few more bucks however. I always felt that if you're going to spend a couple hundred anyway you may as well pay for what you want rather than settle. Take a look at the Springfield XDs. I think they are really solid, mine is accurate as Hell. Good luck and be safe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2009 6:39pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have any training with a firearm? If you do not, go get some first.

If you have training, then go to a range and try some out.

I agree with finding what restrictions you have in your area.

Guns I would consider: Glock, Springfield XD, Smith and Wesson M&P or Model 66, Ruger GP100, or even a Taurus(revolver or semi). There are a great number of guns out there in your price range. If you need help contact the NRA and talk to a handgun instructor. They can help you a bunch.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/12/2009 7:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    go with a glock 23 .40 cal or any glock for that matter.....mine cost me 450 but its worth the extra money trust me

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    11/12/2009 7:08pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go shoot some guns first. You don't know what fits your hand until you fire it.

That being said, a 4" 8-shot .357 from Taurus costs about 425 bucks. All the capacity of a 1911, and twice the stopping power (Or 3X the power if you get sick loads.)

Hi-point makes 9mm and .45ACP autos for under 200 bucks. They are picky eaters but good shooters. Probably not a piece for a gun noob, however. They often require some minor tinkering to get reliable performance.

Taurus has a couple of 9mm for under 400 bucks. They are good, reliable weapons, but at that pricce they are pretty minimal pieces.

Go with a full-size Taurus revolver and you will be very happy with power and performance for under 400 bucks.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    11/12/2009 7:20pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dystopia View Post
    For that price, your choices are probably a revolver, a Glock, a Ruger P series, or maybe a Bersa Thunder.

I'd go with a good revolver, or a Ruger P series.
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Infidel

Posted On:
    11/12/2009 8:07pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your life is going to depend on your handgun you shouldn't Budget yourself to $300. Ask borrow some money and get a high quality pistol.
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Posted On:
    11/12/2009 9:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark View Post
    If your life is going to depend on your handgun you shouldn't Budget yourself to $300. Ask borrow some money and get a high quality pistol.
    Teh wisdom.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast