Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 10:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: N/A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I think I beat my boxing trainer.

So yeah. My friend brought me to this gym I'd never been to, we did some drills and exercises and stuff that I viewed as hardcore since I only ever trained in my garage with only my personal fitness knowledge, and we did some sparring with just pure boxing. We had headgear and boxing gloves, everyone else had a mouthguard but me.

I first faced off against my friend. I was pushed around most of the time and was very stiff and unaggressive, not being used to their level of force, and not being able to kick. The trainer wanted to go a round with me, and I agreed. I was pushed around again, except this time I took a decent shot to the jaw (White starry flash), and a jab to the nose which resulted in a bloody right nostril.

I took a break the next few rounds till it stopped.

After the bloody nose and the hit to the jaw I suddenly became more... Careless?

I went against the trainer again, only this time I was light on my toes and used a decent amount of head movement. I'd say we were even, scoring about the same amount of strikes with the same amount of... Uh, solidness to them.

The next round went much differently.

Now the trainer liked to jab consistantly to try and bait his opponents into making a stupid move.

I used this to my advantage. I began to inch my feet toward him, but leaned my upper bad back to make it appear as though I wasn't nearing him. I would then slip passed a jab, and get one of my own solid jabs in the center of his face. I would also slip under the jabs and nail him in the left side with a right hook every now and then. I started to fake, and he fell for it every time.

I hit him a solid 20 times or so while he maybe had 5 hits.

Was he going easy on me?

Does he suck?

... Am I just awesome?

I think the next time I go, I'll ask him about his... Credentials.

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 10:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You went to a new gym for the first time.

The trainer dominated you for a round, bloodying your nose and ringing your bell.

In subsequent rounds, he let you work and succeed.

You did not beat him.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 10:38pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He probably just felt bad he gave you a bloody nose. I'm sure the first round he wanted to see where you stand. Sounds like he pretty much did what he wanted to you. The second he just played with you you and gave you back your ego. I've trained with instructors before who will "give" you (take) hits. Basically they don't want to break your will or discourage you. The first round he showed you what you lack. Why would he suddenly suck in the second round? I wasn't there so I don't know. But from what I gather you have little expierence. Did this guy appear to be in shape? Do you think you were in better shape? I don't see how he could kick your ass one round then suck the next. thats all.
    Last edited by jspeedy; 11/10/2009 10:39pm at . Reason: forgot my comma

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 10:44pm

Style: sadness and tears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Training at a gym is competition! you can now say you are 1-1, once you get to 250-1 you will level up THA0C +1

OMG

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 10:46pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do agree with 1point2 and jspeedy...trainers are there to teach, and for you to learn, they have to give you a bit of space to work in, not go 100% at you.
    I seriously doubt that as a white belt in BJJ it really takes my black belt instructor 2-3 minutes to get a submission on me, but if he smashed my face into the ground in 5 seconds, would i learn anything?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 10:46pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I fought almost completely differently from how I did the first time we fought.

I try to pay a lot of attention to my opponents and it seemed like he acted the exact same way.

He had to have been in better shape than me because he was doing the jump rope way better and more energetically, and the rest of the drills we did he was always ahead of everyone and everything. He only looked like he was in his late 20's.

After that last round, he didn't actually even say anything to me. No, "good fight" or anything like that. He just said we were done with sparring and we went onto the cooldown exercises.

That's what makes me think that he also thought he lost.

But, I'm more than likely wrong.

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 10:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know nothing. You have no experience.

You didn't have a mouthguard. You were vulnerable to major dental damage.

He demonstrated his ability to dominate, beat, obliterate, decimate, destroy, control, and deck you in the first round.

He then let you work.

He didn't say "nice job" because he didn't feel like saying "nice job." My judo coach, nice guy as he is, doesn't say "good job, sport!" every time we randori. Even when I did well. He has to run the class. He'll say "matte; line up" and class ends. That doesn't mean he's pissed that I almost caught him in something; he was going easy on me anyway!
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 10:53pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You drilled that mother fucker, dude! You should go back there and walk straight up to the instructor and say, "dude, I owned you last time, you ready for another beating?"
    Take an old school boombox and have it playing "eye of the tiger" as you get ready. Make sure that when the class starts you are still preparing, either by taking your time putting on your gloves, or shoes or whatever. Keep the boombox blaring, even when he asks you respectufully (because you nailed him) to turn it down. You need the class to know you are the man and not him, so it is preferable that the class has already started their first exercise when you saunter into class. Whatever the rest of the class is on, do something else, as this shows you should not be held to the same standards as them.

Soon you will be able to sell your brand of personal fitness knowledge to his students.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 11:04pm

Style: Wing Chun Kuen

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's testing you.
    He'll see what reaction you'll bring the next time you come back. IF you come back.

This guy is a good instructor. A good instructor, tests your limits, physically, spiritually and mentally.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 11:05pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice guys.

I think next time I go I'm gonna ask him to go hard on me for one round though, just 'cause I'm curious of what he's capable of. I got a mouthguard now so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast