223555 Bullies, 4387 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 81
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. WhiteShark is offline
    WhiteShark's Avatar

    1% Shark is better than you.

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    9,179

    Posted On:
    11/10/2009 11:38am

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Ballistic Striking (systema)

    I'm putting this in YMAS because I didn't do a full review. I am wondering if anyone else has watched this whole video?

    In case you have no idea what I'm talking about it is the full version of this video:
    YouTube- Val Riazanov and Systema Ballistic Striking

    I downloaded it because I have no interest in paying for a striking DVD. However, I was very curious about what by all reports is a less crazy and well isolated systema video.

    PROS: Everything he shows IMO is totally solid and if you do what he is doing in the video you will hit people really freaking hard.

    CONS: Its over 2 hours long for maybe 20 minutes of content. Maybe its just my perspective but I care very little about this guys personal philosophy and his plans to sucker punch people while scratching his nose.


    As far as demonstrated technique and content goes there are some excellent technical points about footwork that he glosses over. His angling off footwork is fantastic and I would have liked more attention drawn to that. Val obviously hits really freaking hard. From my perspective it is difficult for me to believe that the reason he hits hard is what he says in the video. I spent the entire time staring at his body mechanics and there is nothing really revolutionary there. He has a straw man style of dissing other striking especially Karate that I found disingenuous.

    As an example he talks about being loose constantly and having relaxed shoulders and a completely relaxed arm except for the wrist. However, every time he hits He exhales really hard and tenses his body. In addition if you really look at his jaw you can see that he tightens up really hard on impact. Most runners will tell you about having a relaxed jaw and neck leads to a relaxed shoulder girdle. Let me be clear that I don't think this is wrong but I did feel it was different than what he was saying.

    I really enjoyed watching this for one main reason. I feel like I had a "breakthrough" in understanding systema. I hope systema people can help me support or refute this. In my observation it appears that systema teaches a lot of the same concepts of other solid striking styles but they tend to introduce what other people consider "advanced" techniques on the first day. For example he demonstrates getting hit in the body and turning with it to reduce the impact then on that same turn hitting your opponent. This is the bread and butter of bare knuckle karate and something I instinctively do at this point but it wasn't something I was taught on the first day it was something I learning through a lot of painful sparring.

    Thoughts from systema people or anyone else that has watched this whole video?
    Last edited by WhiteShark; 11/10/2009 11:47am at .
  2. Sri Hanuman is offline
    Sri Hanuman's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,489

    Posted On:
    11/10/2009 11:45am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who was the video made by? Vasilev, or one of the Kodachnikov guys?
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

    Dipshit
  3. WhiteShark is offline
    WhiteShark's Avatar

    1% Shark is better than you.

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    9,179

    Posted On:
    11/10/2009 11:49am

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I updated the first post with a sample video. Its Val Riazanov.

    I also forgot to mention that I think I throw "Systema Kicks!" I throw super relaxed round kicks and according to most observers I kick really hard. Everything he said aligns with the way I kick. If I could punch like that I think I'd be getting somewhere.
  4. Sri Hanuman is offline
    Sri Hanuman's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,489

    Posted On:
    11/10/2009 11:54am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not familiar with Rizanov, but Vasiliev's kicks are more like wedges where you place the foot between yourself and the opponent, and push once contact is made. Anything alonge the same line?
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

    Dipshit
  5. Sri Hanuman is offline
    Sri Hanuman's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,489

    Posted On:
    11/10/2009 11:56am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I should also point out, a lot of the Russian seminars have a side goal to convert as many as they can to Russian Orthodoxy.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

    Dipshit
  6. WhiteShark is offline
    WhiteShark's Avatar

    1% Shark is better than you.

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    9,179

    Posted On:
    11/10/2009 11:58am

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No not at all. I'm talking about a normal Muay Thai style round kick I just happen to fire my hip first and keep my leg very relaxed. If my hip was my shoulder and my leg was my arm I'd be doing a lot of what he says in this video.
  7. tideliar is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    792

    Posted On:
    11/10/2009 12:11pm


     Style: Muay Thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubarão-branco View Post
    No not at all. I'm talking about a normal Muay Thai style round kick I just happen to fire my hip first and keep my leg very relaxed. If my hip was my shoulder and my leg was my arm I'd be doing a lot of what he says in this video.
    You'd also have a funny looking walk and spend a lot of money getting your suits tailored...

    :sniperdan
  8. DdlR is offline
    DdlR's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,771

    Posted On:
    11/10/2009 12:42pm

    supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubarão-branco View Post
    I really enjoyed watching this for one main reason. I feel like I had a "breakthrough" in understanding systema. I hope systema people can help me support or refute this. In my observation it appears that systema teaches a lot of the same concepts of other solid striking styles but they tend to introduce what other people consider "advanced" techniques on the first day. For example he demonstrates getting hit in the body and turning with it to reduce the impact then on that same turn hitting your opponent. This is the bread and butter of bare knuckle karate and something I instinctively do at this point but it wasn't something I was taught on the first day it was something I learning through a lot of painful sparring.

    Thoughts from systema people or anyone else that has watched this whole video?
    Yes, that exactly matches my own experience of Systema training. It directly, and quickly, introduces concepts/skills that many other styles consider to be "advanced training" and/or seldom actually address.
  9. DdlR is offline
    DdlR's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,771

    Posted On:
    11/10/2009 12:44pm

    supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee View Post
    I should also point out, a lot of the Russian seminars have a side goal to convert as many as they can to Russian Orthodoxy.
    Evidence? I've been training for the best part of the past two years and religion has never even been mentioned.
  10. Sri Hanuman is offline
    Sri Hanuman's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,489

    Posted On:
    11/10/2009 12:45pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Cheng Man Ching Taijiquan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    Evidence? I've been training for the best part of the past two years and religion has never even been mentioned.
    Go to a spetsnaz seminar that Vasiliev and Ryabko run in Moscow.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

    Dipshit
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.