Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 5:42am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFoxtrot51 View Post
    You're creating absolutes...I didn't say that. I said better technique and in most cases.

Brock Lesnar could pound my head through my ass if he wanted to. That ability (against me) has nothing to with technique but the fact that he is 100+lbs more than I am. If I (magically) beat him...it would have nothing to do with my size and strength simply because I couldn't match it with him...
    I agree with the Fox.

First of all, I am a bit unnerved with many here always jumping against others just because they criticise the new holy trinity: Dana - Lesnar - UFC.

Especially this year, it has become apparent that other fight promotions can put up cards at least the same as good as the UFC; so, get over it.

Second, Lesnar mainly benefits from one thing: The UFC's lack of a super heavyweight division. He's a good, legit fighter, but as long as he fights opponents smaller than him, he'll never come to test his own potential.
    -Anyone remember Bob Sapp's fight for K-1 back in the day? I am mildly reminded of these whenever I watch Lesnar fight.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 6:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's apparent that other promotions can put up a fraction as many cards with a fraction of the talent (save a few vibrant exceptions).

Also, Lesnar won't see the far side of a striker with reach.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 6:47am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    It's apparent that other promotions can put up a fraction as many cards with a fraction of the talent (save a few vibrant exceptions).

Also, Lesnar won't see the far side of a striker with reach.
    Which heavyweight striker are you thinking of specifically? Because I can't think of a heavyweight striker at the moment that could beat Brock.

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 7:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fedor is an extremely Intelligent fighter, he will juat anticipate Brock's TD and do a sidestep and swarm for the kill on Lesnar. Fedor will just outskill Lesnar in every position. Dana is a delusional promoter

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 9:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does anyone think Fedor is kind of being an asshole about this whole co-promoting thing?

I mean why should M-1 and he get 50 percent of the card? What about the other 20 fighters on the card? M-1 and Fedor would be getting more out of the card in the sense that they are only putting 1 fighter up while UFC is putting 20 up.

I'm all for fighters getting paid and respected more, but to me it sounds like this could only hurt the fighters at the bottom trying to come up. If the UFC did this co-promotion, I don't see Dana and the guys who own the UFC sacrificing their profits, so they're going to probably drop fighters or wait an even longer time to up the pay for the fighters only getting paid 8k a fight.

I just think that if MMA is going to be big, then professional fighters in the "top organization" should be able to support themselves fighting without having to work another job, even if they are at the bottom of the organization. That way there would be more of a draw for athletes and we would perhaps see more "GSPs" or "Anderson Silvas" which would mean more great fights.

Just what I was thinking, but maybe I'm wrong.

On a sidenote: I think what Dana is doing is stupid. Fedor appears to have a very different demeanor than other fighters. May be a long shot, but if he just treated Fedor with respect and explained the situation logically to Fedor then he might have signed with the UFC.
    Last edited by Travis17; 11/11/2009 9:58am at .

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 10:31am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis17 View Post
    Does anyone think Fedor is kind of being an asshole about this whole co-promoting thing?

I mean why should M-1 and he get 50 percent of the card? What about the other 20 fighters on the card? M-1 and Fedor would be getting more out of the card in the sense that they are only putting 1 fighter up while UFC is putting 20 up.

I'm all for fighters getting paid and respected more, but to me it sounds like this could only hurt the fighters at the bottom trying to come up. If the UFC did this co-promotion, I don't see Dana and the guys who own the UFC sacrificing their profits, so they're going to probably drop fighters or wait an even longer time to up the pay for the fighters only getting paid 8k a fight.

I just think that if MMA is going to be big, then professional fighters in the "top organization" should be able to support themselves fighting without having to work another job, even if they are at the bottom of the organization. That way there would be more of a draw for athletes and we would perhaps see more "GSPs" or "Anderson Silvas" which would mean more great fights.

Just what I was thinking, but maybe I'm wrong.

On a sidenote: I think what Dana is doing is stupid. Fedor appears to have a very different demeanor than other fighters. May be a long shot, but if he just treated Fedor with respect and explained the situation logically to Fedor then he might have signed with the UFC.
    You saw the contract? That's awesome. All I saw was Dana in a press conference making one ridiculous claim, and M-1's spokespeople in another press conference making contrary claims.

And MMA is big and growing bigger - paychecks will grow too, and already have. Look at the sponsors over the last 5 years - it went from small supplement companies and unknown clothing manufacturers to national fast-food and alcoholic bev companies. I liken the pay schedule to golf or cycling - there are decent paychecks for the top golfers, but the other 100 guys on the tour don't bring home the huge checks from the PGA, they get paid by sponsors. Tiger Woods and Lance Armstrong both make more money for endorsing Gatorade or Gilette than they do winning their respective Tours.

And regarding contract negotiation, do you honestly think that it's just Dana and Fedor in a room with a legal pad and calculator? Or that Dana hasn't tried logic, reasoning, and bribery to get Fedor? Fedor's a smart, calculating guy who is considering his bank account, the organization he is co-owner of (M-1) and his "legacy" as the top MMA fighter ever. It's not something you can just sit down and figure out over a beer. Dana's probably not even in the negotiation room. He's a mouthpiece whos job is to yap convincingly and sell the UFC.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 10:47am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^ Very smart post.

Fedor is co-owner of M1-Global, which is likely the biggest European MMA organization, hosting events everywhere in the "Old World".

Right from the beginning, it was improbable that he would sign with the UFC, at least without the co-promotion thingy.

My guess is now that the Dream Alliance (M1, Strikeforce, and said DREAM) aspires to outrank the UFC sooner or later. - And let's remember that's not so improbable, given that the UFC's main achievement in the last ten years was to gain profit from the market leader's, PRIDE's scandalous demise.

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 11:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maxthegeek1 View Post
    Which heavyweight striker are you thinking of specifically? Because I can't think of a heavyweight striker at the moment that could beat Brock.
    1. Fedor
    2. Mark Hunt
    3. Ricardo Arona
    4. Overheem
    5. Blagoi Ivanov
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 12:12pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFoxtrot51 View Post
    Please point out a moment where he shows the contrary and maybe I'll care. He has size. You can be as tired as you want about it...he's not a technical fighter.

Edit:

And if he was such a technical fighter...how did he end up in a kneebar which AN AVID FAN COULD HAVE SEEN COMING. (Much less a fighter).
    Sure, hes big, but if you think that's the reason hes destroying the heavyweight division then you don't understand mma. If Brock isn't "skilled" then who in the heavyweight division is? Is it not enough that hes completely destroyed everybody hes ever faced?

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    11/11/2009 12:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maxthegeek1 View Post
    Because I can't think of a heavyweight striker at the moment that could beat Brock.
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge View Post
    3. Ricardo Arona
    Sorry, what?
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge View Post
    2. Mark Hunt
    5. Blagoi Ivanov
    Based on Hunt's getting out grappled by everyone who can grapple and Ivanov's split decision win in which he got repeatedly taken down by Fujita?
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast