Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 1:23pm

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    I don't have a problem with most of what you said here except for one part, "... with a business model more similar to professional boxing." The reason boxing is in the shape it is today is because of all the split off organizations and various promoters. There are no true champs in boxing anymore because there are too many belts. I'm not saying the UFC needs to be the only game, but I am saying modeling MMA after boxing is a terrible idea.
    I should qualify my point, which is basically freeer labour mobility. I would like to see the UFC cooperate with other MMA orgs so fighters from respective organizations could square off against one another and possibly unify title belts. In terms of split off organizations and a large number of promoters, I would see that as more of the characteristics of the industry (number of firms competing) rather than a business model. Competition is a good thing, but I feel the same way about having too many champions - especially ones who can't face each other.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 1:39pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The main difference is that the KOTC lower tier orgs champs are looking to get the UFC belt. They are using the lower promotions to get recognized by the UFC. In boxing they are just racking up the belts to be recognized as the best in that weight class. Essentially it's the same model with the exception that MMA fighters want to be in the UFC.

Fedor and a few others who do not want to be in the UFC are not going because of the contract and that the UFC is mostly in the US. They like the idea of traveling to other countries and fighting in the different venues. While it may not hold the perceived prestige of the UFC they are still in charge of themselves.

It is kind of funny how many Americans don't get the idea of having personal freedom when it comes to their job. I guess the indoctrination process of public education is as strong as they say.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 1:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goddamn it, Dana isn't talking to get Fedor's attention, he's talking to get your attention.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 1:57pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    Goddamn it, Dana isn't talking to get Fedor's attention, he's talking to get your attention.
    WINNAH!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 2:31pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by snakerattle79 View Post
    "The guy just got his face smashed in by Brett Rogers. Do you know what Brock or [UFC heavyweights] Frank Mir and Cain Velasquez would do to Brett Rogers?" White said.
    BTW Dana. No, I don't. I'd pay to find out. And I'm 99.8% positive Brett Rogers would not insist on any co-promotion deals.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 3:23pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    Somehow, I really doubt that a man like Fedor who eats icebergs for breakfast will be goaded into joining the UFC by Dana calling him a *****. If Fedor ever joins the UFC, it'll be on Fedor's terms.

But if he wants to have a chance at beating Lesnar, he better fight him soon. He'd have a damn hard time beating him now, and a Lesnar with a few more years of competition experience would be unstoppable.

And you think Lesnar will be unstoppable why?? Because he beat who?
    Min Soo Kim (garbage)
    Heath Hearing (experienced journeyman but nothing special. Oh and Fedor mauled hearing)
    Randy Courture (46 years old and wayyyy smaller than Brock)
    Frank Mir (overated because of a fluke tko of Nog)

I have seen him do nothing impressive.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 4:20pm

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lesnar being considered unstoppable has is not about his performances or his opponents. It's more about the contenders that he'll face weighed against his physical attributes and skill set.

He's a gifted athlete - he happens to be gigantic, but he can also move well and control his opponents on the ground. And dropping wrecking balls on them the whole time certainly is a hell of a way to add to that control.

Thing is, Brock doesn't need to be a well rounded fighter right now. At least for the short term he can build a career on hammering peoples faces in and never learn to apply an armbar. Given the talent pool of the UFC HW division, all he's got to do is avoid submissions (you ever try to submit an oak tree?) and keep doing what he does. Hulk Smash. He doesn't need to be impressive; right now being a juggernaut suffices.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 4:33pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    history has shown us too many leauges ruin a sport. Who's the best boxer? Nobody knows.

Who's the best football or hockey or european football team? The one that holds the cup.

Actually, it would be cool if fightsports had a "season" and the year's MMA was a giant bracketed tournament in each weight. A season might have to be longer than a year, though.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 4:45pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Listening to Dana talk about Fedor is like hearing a five year old throw a tantrum that he didn't get the toy he wanted. Then, a day later, saying that it stank anyway and he never really wanted it to begin with.

Thing is, Brock doesn't need to be a well rounded fighter right now. At least for the short term he can build a career on hammering peoples faces in and never learn to apply an armbar. Given the talent pool of the UFC HW division, all he's got to do is avoid submissions (you ever try to submit an oak tree?) and keep doing what he does. Hulk Smash. He doesn't need to be impressive; right now being a juggernaut suffices.
    Nobody's denying the effectiveness of his tactics, such as they are. The question has always been whether his method of winning speaks more to his skill as a fighter, or to the quality of his competition. Kinda hard to swallow Dana bleating about how he's the best HW in the world with that in mind.
    Last edited by Neo Sigma; 11/10/2009 4:56pm at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 5:15pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFoxtrot51 View Post
    The stupid thing is that Brock isn't a technical fighter. He's not even a decent fighter. He's just fucking big. Against Frank Mir, he just laid on him and threw punches with his lunchbox-sized hands. "I've got the best fighter." My ass...
    I'm so tired of hearing this, you and whoever else thinks this is clueless.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast