Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 11:14am

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by snakerattle79 View Post
    Jerry Millen, M-1 vice president, said Emelianenko is free to fight Lesnar if UFC drops its demands regarding co-promotion. Millen said the more-experienced Emelianenko would "smash" Lesnar, a former college wrestling champion and World Wrestling Entertainment performer whose "ranking looks manufactured."

Added Millen: "Fedor's not ducking anybody. If UFC wants to prove it has the best fighters, step up and co-promote. Fedor just wants to be treated fairly. The UFC business model is to own the souls of their fighters. Fedor doesn't have to do that, and if the fans scream loudly enough, we can make that happen."

UFC's White countered that a CBS retreat could cause Emelianenko to realize the UFC is where the big money is. White said he'd be happy to extend a contract to Emelianenko to prove UFC has the world's best heavyweight.
    Let's get it done. Fedor vs. Brock would deliver a huge PPV audience.

I believe the general consensus among MMA fans is the UFC's heavyweight division is lacking in top talent compared to other UFC weight classes (and perhaps even Strikeforce's HW division).

Perhaps the UFC isn't happy about having to actually compete with other organizations. Prove me wrong and co-promote the event and unify the titles with a business model more similar to professional boxing rather than refusal to partner with other organizations.

Brock's assets are wrestling, size, power and ability to draw pro wrestling fans to MMA. I believe he is committed to win and learning fast in his training (except for his illness) and evolving beyond using wrestling skills and size advantage to maintain top position and hammerfist people into TKO. High-calibre striking skills from a fighter of comparable size will beat him. Brock didn't have long to wait to get his chance at the UFC heavyweight championship - Fedor deserves that opportunity.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 11:14am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fucken Dana. You're right that he is trying to Goad Fedor into fighting, like he has been doing for years. But the problem with that strategy is he makes everything personal. Guys will resist fighting for Dana because he is an asshole. He is letting his ego interfere with ****, as usual. The Fertitta's need to rein in that dog of theirs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 11:36am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As much as I'd like to see the fight, i don't see any rational reason at all that UFC should take the financial hit (and we're talking literally millions of dollars) to prop up a practically non existent shell of a fight promotion built around Fedor.

MMA is not boxing.

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 11:37am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because Fedor/Lesnar would be one of the best selling events they've ever done.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 11:54am

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post

The plain and simple fact is that Lesner has to come to Fedor. It will have to be outside the UFC or in the UFC with a one fight deal. The UFC will not want a one fight deal. So we are left with speculation and one other option that no one has brought up. A best 2 out of 3 match up between them. One fight in each org. One in Strikeforce in the US, one in the UFC in the US and one in M1 in Russia. I think that the first 2 should be in the US and the rubber match if needed in Russia. This could be done across the board with all the champs but I seriously doubt that would ever happen.

If the interest was to promote MMA across the world this would happen but the UFC wants to be the top dog like the NFL and MLB. On the other hand the fans want to see a more of a World Cup environment.
    This is similair to something I was proposing over at MMA Playground a while back, but I took it a step further. What I would really like to see would be an 8 man tournament between the champs of all the major promotions.
    UFC, Strikeforce, WVR, K-1, KOTC, Spirit MC, M-1, AOW (etc.)

Yeah some of the champs from those orgs would get smashed but it would make for a great card and at the end you could just give them the WAMMA belt and a nice big purse. But again this is something that will never happen.
    安氏八极拳学生

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 12:02pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The UFC's business model is around building up the talent as a brand, and owning the brand. It's straight outta Vince McMahon. There is not a snowballs chance in hell they will ever let someone who's contract they don't own fight for one of their championships. Any fight would have to be a non title fight, and that in itself would be a PR black eye.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 12:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a thought, maybe Fedor doesn't ever want to fight for a guy who constantly shits on him. He's not Kimbo, he supposedly lives very well in Russia, why should he swallow his pride to make a bunch of money for some douchebag who constantly says he sucks?

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 12:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My guess is that Dana and company will spend the next year or so shitting on Strikeforce and then try to buy them. As I said, until now, they didn't have to take them too seriously. They even tried to **** on the relationship between Strikeforce and CBS.

CBS drew a ridiculous audience on Saturday. They will do this again, and soon. The MMA market is expanding quickly, and unfortunately for Dana, the UFC stranglehold finally is getting some serious competitors.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 12:48pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJ View Post
    Let's get it done. Fedor vs. Brock would deliver a huge PPV audience.

I believe the general consensus among MMA fans is the UFC's heavyweight division is lacking in top talent compared to other UFC weight classes (and perhaps even Strikeforce's HW division).

Perhaps the UFC isn't happy about having to actually compete with other organizations. Prove me wrong and co-promote the event and unify the titles with a business model more similar to professional boxing rather than refusal to partner with other organizations.

Brock's assets are wrestling, size, power and ability to draw pro wrestling fans to MMA. I believe he is committed to win and learning fast in his training (except for his illness) and evolving beyond using wrestling skills and size advantage to maintain top position and hammerfist people into TKO. High-calibre striking skills from a fighter of comparable size will beat him. Brock didn't have long to wait to get his chance at the UFC heavyweight championship - Fedor deserves that opportunity.
    I don't have a problem with most of what you said here except for one part, "... with a business model more similar to professional boxing." The reason boxing is in the shape it is today is because of all the split off organizations and various promoters. There are no true champs in boxing anymore because there are too many belts. I'm not saying the UFC needs to be the only game, but I am saying modeling MMA after boxing is a terrible idea.

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 12:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Somehow, I really doubt that a man like Fedor who eats icebergs for breakfast will be goaded into joining the UFC by Dana calling him a *****. If Fedor ever joins the UFC, it'll be on Fedor's terms.

But if he wants to have a chance at beating Lesnar, he better fight him soon. He'd have a damn hard time beating him now, and a Lesnar with a few more years of competition experience would be unstoppable.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast