Sponsored Links Spacer Image

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    11/13/2009 5:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brock Lesnar makes Matt Hughes look like Floyd Mayweather.

Also, when did I "pick" Kongo? I said his odds were better, I never said it was guaranteed or he was even the best potential opponent. He's my example because of his grappling ineptitude, not in spite of it. He's the "worst" fight that has a good chance in my mind.

Posted On:
    11/13/2009 5:40pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    Brock Lesnar makes Matt Hughes look like Floyd Mayweather.
    True, I guess. Not really the point though, no matter how bad Brock is defensively on the feet, against someone who can't stop a takedown, he'll have to absorb only a few shots, and the fewer shots he takes the less likely that one of them will KO him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    Also, when did I "pick" Kongo? I said his odds were better, I never said it was guaranteed or he was even the best potential opponent. He's my example because of his grappling ineptitude, not in spite of it. He's the "worst" fight that has a good chance in my mind.
    My mistake in misunderstanding your picking Kongo. I still disagree that he has anything other than a fluke's chance. Like, Minowaman vs. Pride-era CroCop chance. And yes, that's because of his complete grappling ineptitude.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    11/14/2009 12:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis17 View Post
    Does anyone think Fedor is kind of being an asshole about this whole co-promoting thing?

I mean why should M-1 and he get 50 percent of the card? What about the other 20 fighters on the card? M-1 and Fedor would be getting more out of the card in the sense that they are only putting 1 fighter up while UFC is putting 20 up.

I'm all for fighters getting paid and respected more, but . . . .
    But you're not. No, Fedor is not being an asshole by demanding what he thinks is fair compensation for his services. He doesn't have a gun to the Fertittas' heads; they are free to say no. He's free to ask for what he thinks he's worth. It's telling that he was able to make a deal with Strikeforce; even if it isn't exactly what he was asking for from the UFC, it still means that he's not some unreasonable asshole who demands unrealistic compensation. I'm sick and fucking tired of hearing how this or that athlete, who negotiated in good faith and reached a mutually-satisfactory contract with his employers, is "overpaid" or makes "obscene" money. It's ridiculous. Services are worth what the market will pay, period.

That said, there's a thread on Fedor's supposed Strikeforce contract, and it looks like it is huge in terms of money for Fedor, money for M1, and distribution rights for M1 in Europe and Asia. If it's for real, then clearly Strikeforce agreed with Fedor that he's worth all that. If the UFC doesn't agree, that's fine, but they can't have their cake and eat it too. Either they pay the price to get the athlete they want, or they do without that particular talent. They don't have some kind of right employ Fedor just because they have other fighters we'd like to see him fight.

And all that said, I'm sure Dana White still maintains publicly that he offered Fedor a better deal than Strikeforce did. Maybe, in simple terms of money paid directly as salary, that's even true. But in the real world, as the Fertittas should know, there's often an Asshole Surcharge. If you're an abrasive jerk, people want more compensation before they'll work with you. If they're in a position to demand it, they will. If Fedor wants a lot more money and power to work for the UFC than he's demanding of Strikeforce, Fertittas, it shouldn't be hard to figure out why. You put Dana White out in public as the face of your organization, and he's a loudmouthed, abrasive, bossy son of a bitch. If you don't believe me, go ask him; I'm sure he'll tell you. Maybe that was what you needed, and certainly the UFC as a company has succeeded since then, so good on you--but again, you can't have it both ways. If you're going to negotiate in public, and do it viciously, then you run the risk of ending your negotiations early. That's only fair.

Posted On:
    11/14/2009 12:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was enjoying the thread drift, then Don Gwinn came in for the win. Nice post.
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    11/14/2009 1:05pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People feel entitled to see fedor fight who they want him to fight because he's a celebrity and he should do what entertains them.

I agree with them, but I already spent all my celebrity entitlement outrage on Selma Hayek doing hot explicit girl on girl action.

Posted On:
    11/14/2009 1:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Fedor should fight Vinny Pallazzo, who picked on me in fourth grade. Preferably if he can go back in time with secret Soviet-era technology and actually fight the fourth-grade Vinny Pallazzo.

Posted On:
    11/14/2009 2:36pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    I think Fedor should fight Vinny Pallazzo, who picked on me in fourth grade. Preferably if he can go back in time with secret Soviet-era technology and actually fight the fourth-grade Vinny Pallazzo.
    When does Season 3 of Bully Beatdown start? You might still have time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2009 9:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lesnar has a bacterial infection of the intestines.

http://MonkeyScrotumCleaning.tvMonke...intestines.mma

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2009 11:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

:)

Posted On:
    1/19/2010 1:43am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmmm, just dropping onto the thread to say. fedor owned Rogers, and no heavyweight in the world, except perhaps Nog would have survived that punch.

Awesome to have Fedor on national TV, and not the UFC. I loved the Rogers fight, and would have loved the Barnett fight, should it have happened.

I'm not at all disappointed in Fedor not being in the UFC, and thrilled at the idea, that his remaining outside the org, could help the sport not become a monopoly, as Dana envisions, but a thriving, multi-organizational world sport.

Seeing 90+ thousand fans in Japan, at one of those pride events, should be enough to persuade anyone reasonalble that the UFC can't always provide the best show.

also on Lesnar, I heard someone speculate that he got that condition from cutting too much weight to often. Gives you diamond shits, and punctures the intestinal wall. Becomes infected, and eats at the wall. When it gets through and starts to drip into the rest of the body....excrutiating pain.

It's a shame, but there shouldn't really be any doubt as to who would win that fight. One of them is a practically undefeated legend, and the other...a beginner with one-dimentional credentials.

if history has taught us anything, it's that Fedor will not be defeated by a one-dimentional fighter...he's too versatile, and wily to fight on someone's best footing...unless he's better than them at that same skill..which is often the case.

Big hands Rogers found this out, as he was bested at his specialty. Same for coleman, gnp'd primarily. Crocop...check. Gary goodrich check. Nog check.

The others, he just removed their comfort zone, and destroyed them, in relatively unfamiliar ground.

Coleman 2 was my fav. Spent the whole fight trying to take him down, and then got subbed from Fedor's guard, when he finally did. Magic, that was.
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213