Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/12/2009 10:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrestling =/= fighting?!? WTF?
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Sociocidal sociocider

Posted On:
    11/12/2009 11:03pm

Style: Currently a SAMBO newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    only BJJ = fighting
    Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil. - Machiavelli

Posted On:
    11/12/2009 11:04pm

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge View Post
    Wrestling =/= fighting?!? WTF?
    Serge, give me some leeway on that. You can't say that wrestling directly translates into fighting without secondary training. I watch wrestlers get rolled up over and over and over when they initially move over to BJJ and Sambo. And they get slaughtered in striking at first.
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Posted On:
    11/12/2009 11:17pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFoxtrot51 View Post
    If Tyga was 280lbs, he'd be a different fighter, yes...but if he brought the same skill set to the table, he'd be just as good.
    And Tyga is a good wrestler, no doubt. He was NY All-State in his senior year. As opposed to Lesnar, who was a two time All-American and National Champ who went 106-5 over four years against other wrestlers who were just as big and strong as he is.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFoxtrot51 View Post
    You know...I keep saying he's not a technical fighter. The keyword is fighter. I haven't been saying that he's not a technical wrestler.
    Sorry, I've watched fights in high school that go the same way. It's really not that technical.
    Just to clear this up: wrestling is fighting. Wrestling is, in fact, the single unavoidable truth of fighting onto which all other skills are added. If Lesnar were a one-dimensional striker who was knocking people out with headkicks, you would not be calling him "non-technical." Royce Gracie had a one-dimensional game -- would you call him non-technical?

You saw a high-school fight where one guy downed and beat another. The guy on bottom wasn't a BJJ black belt and former UFC champion, was he? Because, you know, it might take some technique to do the same thing to do a guy with that background.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Posted On:
    11/12/2009 11:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fighting:

When struck, grab. When grabbed, strike.

and

you are either eating, being eaten or preparing to eat/be eaten.
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Posted On:
    11/12/2009 11:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Rusher View Post
    You saw a high-school fight where one guy downed and beat another. The guy on bottom wasn't a BJJ black belt and former UFC champion, was he? Because, you know, it might take some technique to do the same thing to do a guy with that background.
    Frank Mir fought Brock's fight instead of being intelligent. It's be like a soldier walking into an area clearly marked "MINE FIELD," and then someone saying it was a tactical strike when said person steps on one.

Randy Couture shouldn't even be in Brock's weight-class, but since there isn't a super-heavyweight division...I guess that's a moot point. I thought that ground-wise, Couture did decently against Lesnar, but weight was a definite factor. He could barely pick him up off his feet towards the end of the first round.
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Posted On:
    11/12/2009 11:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sorry, I'm not changing my opinion of Brock...it's not happening.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Posted On:
    11/12/2009 11:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    Actually, facepunchings will do just fine. I'll be impressed if Brock has half the chin of Cain.
    Yes Congo I-have-no-takedown-defense-at-all-and-no-ability-to-do-anything-on-my-back is clearly the man to beat Lesnar.

This is going to be just like the early UFCs. You know, stupid grapplers (before they learned that had to crosstrain) getting KOed before they could get into range for a takedown.

Okay, seriously, you must smoke up more than me.

it's all vanity

Posted On:
    11/13/2009 12:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kano-Gracie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I'm interested in the heady stuff everyone who assumed I didn't know Kongo was a **** grappler must be toking. How's the swamp grass, Josh?

But yeah, that was kinda the crux of me choosing him. I think Brock will lose so fast to a striker with a reach advantage the grappling of either will be a moot point.

Posted On:
    11/13/2009 12:28am

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesperus View Post
    Actually, I'm interested in the heady stuff everyone who assumed I didn't know Kongo was a **** grappler must be toking. How's the swamp grass, Josh?

But yeah, that was kinda the crux of me choosing him. I think Brock will lose so fast to a striker with a reach advantage the grappling of either will be a moot point.
    Brock's chin is good enough to absorb a strike or two at range before getting a takedown. Argue all you want over the flying knee from Mir, the guy's head is a block of cement and he has no neck. I'm pretty sure he'll be able to take a 1-2 and still shoot a double leg.

Besides, Kongo's wrestling is so bad, Brock could start his shot literally from the other side of the octagon and still get him to the mat.
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 111213 LastLast