Page 1 of 13 1 234511 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 8:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dana: "It's Time To Bring Fedor To See Lesnar Smash Him"

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,2976507.story

A heavyweight fight between Fedor Emelianenko and Brock Lesnar is the bout most mixed martial arts fans want to see, but contractual obligations and medical problems are likely to prevent a showdown between the two for another year, Emelianenko's camp said Monday.

Emelianenko survived a cut nose Saturday to retain his unofficial standing as the top MMA heavyweight in the world by defeating Brett Rogers in a second-round technical knockout. He closed the victory with a stand-up, right-handed punch, then pounced on Rogers to deliver a left-right combination on the canvas before the referee ended the fight.

Emelianenko-Rogers headlined CBS' "Saturday Night Fights" card of four bouts promoted by Strikeforce/M-1, with a near-capacity crowd of 11,500 filling the Sears Centre near Chicago.

The TV ratings are not final, but early numbers show the Strikeforce fights drew at least 3.8 million viewers, and a 267% increase in the number of males aged 18-34 who usually tune in for Saturday night programming, CBS said.

Lesnar, with a record of 4-1, is heavyweight champion of the rival, and more dominant, Ultimate Fighting Championship. A few months ago, UFC failed to reach a deal with Emelianenko for multiple fights.

Scott Coker, Strikeforce chief executive, said because Saturday's fights delivered "those 18-34 male [viewership] numbers in a big way," CBS will televise future cards. Emelianenko earned $400,000 on Saturday night. A CBS spokesman said no decision has been made on whether the network would telecast another Strikeforce card, although Saturday's bouts drew new viewers to the network.

Yet, Dana White, president of UFC, called the Strikeforce's overall ratings Saturday a disappointment.

"CBS would be out of their mind to put that rinky-dink [Strikeforce] . . . on the air again . . . and without that backing, [promoters] won't have the money to pay [Emelianenko]."

But Emelianenko (31-1-1) still owes Strikeforce at least two more fights, possibly more with options, Coker said.

The Russian heavyweight agreed to a Strikeforce deal when his promotional company, M-1 Global, failed to reach agreement with UFC. The Emelianenko negotiations collapsed, in part, because UFC rejected M-1's push to co-promote an Emelianenko event.

After those talks ended, UFC announced a Lesnar fight against UFC contender Shane Carwin scheduled for Nov. 21. But Lesnar became ill and was diagnosed with mononucleosis, causing an indefinite delay of the Carwin bout.

Emelianenko, 33, also is dealing with health issues. He suffered a fracture and tendon damage in his left thumb, and a fractured nose in the Rogers fight, Coker said. Emelianenko stopped in Los Angeles on Monday to be treated for the injuries.

"[The hand injury] could've been from that blow when he had Brett on the mat at the end," Coker said. "We're hearing he could be out for four to six months."

Coker will use Emelianenko's layoff to boost name recognition in the U.S. of Strikeforce's heavyweight champion, Alistair Overeem, 29, an MMA veteran with a 31-11 record that includes losses to former UFC light-heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell and current UFC contender Mauricio "Shogun" Rua.

England's Overeem will headline a Strikeforce card on Showtime early next year, and he is the favorite to be Emelianenko's next foe, Coker said.

Meanwhile, public clamor for an Emelianenko-Lesnar bout is being noticed by promoters.

Jerry Millen, M-1 vice president, said Emelianenko is free to fight Lesnar if UFC drops its demands regarding co-promotion. Millen said the more-experienced Emelianenko would "smash" Lesnar, a former college wrestling champion and World Wrestling Entertainment performer whose "ranking looks manufactured."

Added Millen: "Fedor's not ducking anybody. If UFC wants to prove it has the best fighters, step up and co-promote. Fedor just wants to be treated fairly. The UFC business model is to own the souls of their fighters. Fedor doesn't have to do that, and if the fans scream loudly enough, we can make that happen."

UFC's White countered that a CBS retreat could cause Emelianenko to realize the UFC is where the big money is. White said he'd be happy to extend a contract to Emelianenko to prove UFC has the world's best heavyweight.

"The guy just got his face smashed in by Brett Rogers. Do you know what Brock or [UFC heavyweights] Frank Mir and Cain Velasquez would do to Brett Rogers?" White said. "It's time to bring this guy [Fedor] in, to see Brock Lesnar smash his head."

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 8:19am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shorin ji kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man, I don't know on what Dana is but I want some of that stuff!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 9:02am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dana is like a chihuahua... Bouncing around and barking so that everyone will look at him.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 9:11am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm.... I dunno what Dana is on the heavyweight division is weak even in the UFC.

Fank Mir & Cain Velsaquez would both struggle with Rogers. Also Overeem would give most of the UFC heavyweights a hard time.

Saying that its hrad to bet against Brock but if there's one man capable of beating him its the Russian.

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 9:16am

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The stupid thing is that Brock isn't a technical fighter. He's not even a decent fighter. He's just fucking big. Against Frank Mir, he just laid on him and threw punches with his lunchbox-sized hands. "I've got the best fighter." My ass...
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 9:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brocks striking isn't near refined yet, and I have a feeling he wouldn't be able to handle getting tagged.I want to see Brock fight a good striker first.

Overeem is scary.Big strong guy with decent wrestling and good enough striking to make it to K-1 WGP by beating Aerts.I think he could become very dominant in both K-1 and MMA.

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 9:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, Cain was droped by Kongo every time when he was standing in Kongos range more then 3 secounds.Only notable fighters he beat were Kongo and Rothwell both not really known for there grappling.Nog is going to be his first test.

Mir doesn't really have an impressive record either.He got demolished a few times.After beating zombie Nog he thinks he is some uber striker.

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 10:24am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by snakerattle79 View Post
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...,2976507.story

"CBS would be out of their mind to put that rinky-dink [Strikeforce] . . . on the air again . . . and without that backing, [promoters] won't have the money to pay [Emelianenko]."

I sense some sort of hidden agenda buried deep within these remarks.

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 10:39am

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed. The UFC just started to take Strikeforce seriously...so of course they have to say they are not.

I thought Saturday's card was great. I enjoyed watching it as much as a UFC card.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 10:56am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dana is doing his job and stirring up ****. He is a promoter and that's what they do. The fact of the matter is he thinks he can goad Fedor into a contract with the UFC. This is just not going to happen.

Couture was defeated in his attempt to leave the UFC to go fight Fedor. He wanted it badly. Since he lost to Lesner his star has faded a bit and all the talk is about Lesner and Fedor.

Fedor is one of the few people in a unique position to stay out of the UFC and still be able to make good money. Double that with him being part owner of M1 and he has set himself up for some income after he finishes fighting.

The plain and simple fact is that Lesner has to come to Fedor. It will have to be outside the UFC or in the UFC with a one fight deal. The UFC will not want a one fight deal. So we are left with speculation and one other option that no one has brought up. A best 2 out of 3 match up between them. One fight in each org. One in Strikeforce in the US, one in the UFC in the US and one in M1 in Russia. I think that the first 2 should be in the US and the rubber match if needed in Russia. This could be done across the board with all the champs but I seriously doubt that would ever happen.

If the interest was to promote MMA across the world this would happen but the UFC wants to be the top dog like the NFL and MLB. On the other hand the fans want to see a more of a World Cup environment.

Another possibility is if some very wealthy person simply pays the UFC for the right to have Lesner fight Fedor. Much like what they did with ADCC. This way the bottom line of the UFC is being held up.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.
Page 1 of 13 1 234511 ... LastLast