Sponsored Links Spacer Image

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/14/2009 12:09pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's that Zulu stickfighting has a giant shielded space so the emphsis is on using blocks over having active footwork (and I think this is combined with a strong cultural emphasis on "standing one's ground"; in similar situations in different cultures, a lot of footwork may be looked at as showing cowardice).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2009 8:18am

Style: Suntukaran

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    I think it's that Zulu stickfighting has a giant shielded space so the emphsis is on using blocks over having active footwork (and I think this is combined with a strong cultural emphasis on "standing one's ground"; in similar situations in different cultures, a lot of footwork may be looked at as showing cowardice).
    Yes a lot of footwork definitely projects cowardice and even ineptitude but a lack of footwork would do the same but that applies only to stickfighting. A lot of FMA styles though using sticks were rooted to swordfighting therefore avoidance of the blade via footwork and deflection were the primary skills.

Posted On:
    12/13/2009 11:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Arnis, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    I think it's that Zulu stick fighting has a giant shielded space so the emphsis is on using blocks over having active footwork (and I think this is combined with a strong cultural emphasis on "standing one's ground"; in similar situations in different cultures, a lot of footwork may be looked at as showing cowardice).

A guy at my dojo (Senfusi Andrea Hightower) taught that the African stick fighting was a hit and run style. The villages would line up and attack en mass, attack and pass to reline up again and attack

I always thought that was odd but you never know. Granted I did not train in his African tai chi, this is what we talked about.

"T'ai-Kaku-Chi is a contemporary system of T'ai Chi based on Northern African principles. The founder of these systems is Shimat'hi Si-Jo R. Baldwin, who began his research over a period of Twenty-five years, and who is a Grandmaster, and Top Student, under Si-Tai-Jika George Calhoun, the Great-Great-Grandmaster of our family." - this is a quote from his site.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/17/2009 12:25am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerhippym44 View Post
    A guy at my dojo (Senfusi Andrea Hightower) taught that the African stick fighting was a hit and run style. The villages would line up and attack en mass, attack and pass to reline up again and attack
    I don't think there's a single unified entity of African stick fighting- it's a big continent with lots of sticks and lots of guys to hit each other with sticks. What you're describing there sounds like some sort of warfare or ritual combat between groups. The Zulu stickfighting described in this thread is more of a combat sport- there are defined fights between two individuals with somewhat uniform matched weapons and shields, and some type of rules or common understandings of what is acceptable.

Posted On:
    12/17/2009 1:13am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by triggerhippym44 View Post

I always thought that was odd but you never know. Granted I did not train in his African tai chi, this is what we talked about.

"T'ai-Kaku-Chi is a contemporary system of T'ai Chi based on Northern African principles. The founder of these systems is Shimat'hi Si-Jo R. Baldwin, who began his research over a period of Twenty-five years, and who is a Grandmaster, and Top Student, under Si-Tai-Jika George Calhoun, the Great-Great-Grandmaster of our family." - this is a quote from his site.
    What are Northern African Principals and when did all of North Africa Assemble to decide on them? As Codos already said I don't believe all of Africa has one standard strategy for stick fighting. But I understand you're just relaying what you've heard. I just think it's interesting someone who actually claims to be a "sifu" or teacher of an African art who has likely spent more time studying African stickfighting would make this kind of generalized statement.

The art as it is displayed on the my space page to me looks a little pretentious and larpey. Granted I do not know much about the styles the art came from or what their intentions are and purpose in creating a new MA. The stick/sword-kata/demo looked overly flashy. I'm not sure how FMA ties into to anything posted on the sight but it was still interesting.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12