Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

zulu stick fighting apps. for FMA

I stumbled across this on you tube, It relates zulu stick fighting to FMA. I wish it showed more of the live sparring at the end. We already do something similiar to the striking principal demonstrated in the video in my FMA club. I just think it's cool to see stick fighting styles from other non Filipino places. I like to examine the differences and similarities. I think the blocking tools and techniques used by the Zulus appear quite effective, I wonder how they'd fare against a full contact FMA assault.

YouTube- Zulu & Filipino Kali Stick Fighting

What do you think?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Liam Keely did a lot of Zulut stickwork. I have watched all of his video, not to mention anything else I have come across over the years. Culturally speaking this still holds an important place and is no joke when the folks really get after it.

If I had a chance to give it a go, I would in a heartbeat. Techanically speaking the small shield/stick is a replacement for the large shield.

If you get a chance check out Keely's articles and video, they can be tricky to find, but are well worth it.

Aaron Fields

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what the video showed it looks a bit like some less mobile kerasak work. That said, I could definitely see how this could help you train your deceptions.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I like the idea of leading with the butt of the stick then striking reg, or reaching.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cool video. Some of the strategy of rotating the wrist to get around the shield/stick reminded me of some of Anthony DeLongis' saber material, using the curvature of the blade to wrap around your opponent's block and hit them with the tip.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It will only work against someone who blocks with minimal to no footwork at all. The palm-down witik is a staple technique in agak play of certain FMA styles in which footwork is more rooted compared to others. Same method, it starts as a regular forehand strike to solicit a block then drops as a palm-down witik to the hand or arm or head.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulogod View Post
    It will only work against someone who blocks with minimal to no footwork at all.
    This describes a huge percentage of the FMA on youtube.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    looks like good use of progessive indirect attack , I'd love to check out some of Burton's battlefield Kali stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    This describes a huge percentage of the FMA on youtube.
    There are several possible reasons for this :
    1. Its their actual method.
    2. They are just showing the hand/arm movements without the footwork.
    3. They can't move without hurting the camera angle and going out of the frame.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulogod View Post
    There are several possible reasons for this :
    1. Its their actual method.
    2. They are just showing the hand/arm movements without the footwork.
    3. They can't move without hurting the camera angle and going out of the frame.
    My guess would be 2 and 3 in this case

Page 1 of 2 12 Last