223777 Bullies, 3858 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 18 1 234511 ... LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

NAAFA - Douchebag of the Month

Let's start this by owning up to the facts: obesity is a serious epidemic and a complex issue to which society must give serious consideration. It is one of the leading causes of preventable deaths in the United States and other western countries.

We readily admit that in most cases it's caused by a tragic and severe disability. This disability affects the motor skills to such a degree that the individual seemingly cannot control the motor functions of the hands that stuff food into his or her face.

Or in other words, put down the goddamn hamburger, fatass. You didn't really think we were going to be sympathetic, did you?

The National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance is an organization that sums up everything wrong with America in 2009. NAAFA states: "Because being fat can be both a physically and emotionally isolating experience, NAAFA has helped to create and sustain a fat subculture."

It apparently doesn't occur to them that socially deviant behavior and lifestyle choices should be isolating. If you're a pervert who likes to flash little kids, they plant a sign in your yard so everyone knows that you're a risk to society. Fortunately, morbid obesity is its own yard sign, one that those people get to wear everywhere. The problem is that while most people look at this sign and read "this person is likely to cause an unnecessary burden on public resources" (especially in countries with universal health care), NAAFA members would have you believe that sign reads "Yeah I'm spilling over into your airplane seat, and proud of it!".

We'll begin with the implied notion that society needs to "accept" people who make the choice to completely abdicate responsibility for their daily caloric intake. The vast majority of obese people suffer from a lack of self discipline, not glandular/endocrine disorders or psychiatric conditions. Theirs is a disability of character, and little more. When obesity advocates are confronted with this, the excuses pour out faster than their perspiration on a hot day. Most often cited are the lack of available healthy alternatives in urban areas, busy schedules, or blah blah blah where's the ranch dressing?

We won't bother to dissect the excuses, especially since they almost all boil down to a lack of priorities, laziness, and an infantile sense of entitlement that can only arise in a culture in which the citizens are so pampered comfortable that they could conflate personal negligence with a lifestyle choice.

And we'd be preaching to the choir by doing a line-item, bullet-point list of all the health problems caused by obesity (including how obese people's brains are deteriorated). If you want to read about them, here's a link to the Obesity section on the Centers for Disease Control website. Likewise, we won't go into the economic impact obesity has on the world (including how fat people's cars require more gasoline to haul their weight around).

To anyone with common sense and/or enough self-respect to own up to their faults as being faults, obesity is not something to be proud of, much less a defining trait of a valid subculture as NAAFA would have you believe.

There are many cultural traits in western society, and the United Sates specifically, that have been subjected to bigotry and harassment. One's race, gender status/sexual orientation, religion (or lack thereof), are all things that either cannot be changed by the individual, or are the product of choices that are protected by fundamental human freedoms. As such, they deserve no scorn save when they are abused in a manner that would cause harm to an other valid cultural segment of society. Being fat, is not a valid subculture, any more than would be one that centered around people who chose to hit themselves in the face with a hammer several times a day. Self-destruction, where it brushes up against and imposes upon the rest of society, deserves scorn, contempt, and ultimately, shame.

And it's doubly shameful to try and engineer a "movement" that centers around not only denying the justified, and even righteous wielding of that shame by the healthy members of society but actively lobbying against having
    to be subjected to any consequences for imposing on others.

This is NAAFA, in action:

**** this, I'm eating a carrot and going for a jog. NAAFA, you are our Douchebag of the Month for October, 2009. I doubt everyone here, myself included, is at their peak physical condition. But unlike you, we actually feel some shame about it and care about improving ourselves.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    10/21/2009 3:06pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That video needs NSFA (Not Safe For Anywhere) tags

Christ....

I weight more then I should and it's a daily fight against my waistline, but this is just stupid. Why do we want to glorify a singularly unhealthy lifestyle? What the hell is wrong with us?
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    10/21/2009 3:12pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I fight my fatness every day... Haven't done so good a job in the last few months, either. I make no excuses; I've been lazy. Fortunately, I can recognize this for the error it is and correct it. I do not hate myself for being overweight, nor do I require that anybody accept it.

I simply resolve to correct it. I hate dieting...but I just finished my carrots and hummus, so at least I'm not starving...
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    10/21/2009 3:12pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    10/21/2009 3:42pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    I fight my fatness every day... Haven't done so good a job in the last few months, either. I make no excuses; I've been lazy. Fortunately, I can recognize this for the error it is and correct it. I do not hate myself for being overweight, nor do I require that anybody accept it.

I simply resolve to correct it. I hate dieting...but I just finished my carrots and hummus, so at least I'm not starving...
    Take a pita, a little bit of EVO, grill the pita till it gets crispy, place hummus on crispy pita, cover in chives/onion/tomato/etc. Eat.

With a little hunting for a lower cal pita it's a fantastic snack for around a hundred calories.
    I do not aspire to be great, or even good, I hope to suck a little less then last class.

Posted On:
    10/21/2009 3:43pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been eating Salmon like a fucking Grizzly. Relatively low calories for a meat and killer with sriracha sauce.

Posted On:
    10/21/2009 3:45pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is something I've thought about quite a bit. The "obesity epidemic" and ways to combat it.

I think first there needs to be better education on the subject in schools. Explaining how certain things are put in food and the effects they have on the body. This is probably the most important thing here. We all hear junk food is bad, but I don't remember ever being taught why and what to look for, and why something is good for you. I just remember the stupid food pyramid stuff that should probably be obsolete by today. Teaching people how to look for bad ingredients on a nutritional label and what they do to the body should help too.

This is kind of sensitive to talk about because I could be wrong and research needs to be done, but I also think the food companies should be gone after. There needs to be research done to see if we can take some of the preservatives out of food that harm the body and still feed the population. Or maybe some kind of healthy alternatives to crap like partially hydrogenated vegetable oils.

I read just eating several grams of trans fat a day can increase your risk of heart disease by 50 percent. That's crazy. If food manufacturers want to keep putting this crap into food then there should be some kind of surgeon general warning put on these foods. There is one on cigarettes and they can potentially give you cancer and you can die. But there is nothing on food for raising your risk of heart disease and health problems, potentially killing people early in their 30s and 40s.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    10/21/2009 3:49pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    I've been eating Salmon like a fucking Grizzly. Relatively low calories for a meat and killer with sriracha sauce.
    Main lobster, split and cleaned, grilled with cracked pepper corns and roasted red peppers, stupidly low calorie and my god is it good.

You can do rock lobster, but it's higher cal.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    10/21/2009 3:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis17 View Post
    This is something I've thought about quite a bit. The "obesity epidemic" and ways to combat it.

I think first there needs to be better education on the subject in schools. Explaining how certain things are put in food and the effects they have on the body. This is probably the most important thing here. We all hear junk food is bad, but I don't remember ever being taught why and what to look for, and why something is good for you. I just remember the stupid food pyramid stuff that should probably be obsolete by today. Teaching people how to look for bad ingredients on a nutritional label and what they do to the body should help too.

This is kind of sensitive to talk about because I could be wrong and research needs to be done, but I also think the food companies should be gone after. There needs to be research done to see if we can take some of the preservatives out of food that harm the body and still feed the population. Or maybe some kind of healthy alternatives to crap like partially hydrogenated vegetable oils.

I read just eating several grams of trans fat a day can increase your risk of heart disease by 50 percent. That's crazy. If food manufacturers want to keep putting this crap into food then there should be some kind of surgeon general warning put on these foods. There is one on cigarettes and they can potentially give you cancer and you can die. But there is nothing on food for raising your risk of heart disease and health problems, potentially killing people early in their 30s and 40s.
    Easiest way to eat healthy, go to the grocery store and shop the perimeter of the store only. If it's boxed, or canned, other then dried, don't buy it.

Basically, if it doesn't rot within a few days of being left out, don't eat it.

Posted On:
    10/21/2009 3:52pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis17 View Post
    As a libertarian I'm terrified of the eventuality that under a universal healthcare system, our government will have an implicit mandate to regulate everything we eat.

I feel the solution to the obesity problem is 50% education, 50% relentless application of negative social pressure (ie. shame).
Page 1 of 18 1 234511 ... LastLast