Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2009 5:04pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kok Sool won for laugh

Came across this and gave me a good chuckle. Martial Arts masters with bad engreash.

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    11/04/2009 9:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha! Kuk Sool Won; We Need More Gheyness in our Techniques.

The trademark is next to the holy seal of KSW. Does anyone know if this is HQ's van they drive around in for the Summer Seminar?

This pic is going into Captions of Disaster!
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2009 7:15am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, it's actually not a typo. It's a phrase that seems to have come about the past couple of years (in my experience), mainly used at seminars, as its how the grandmaster often explains the need for more training.

So, We need more practise = There's always something more to learn.

I can totally see tho, from an outside perspective how it looks strange lol

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/09/2009 7:03pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tang Soo Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by herbo1 View Post
    We need more practise = There's always something more to learn.
    Nice principle; disastrous choice of words.

--Jason

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2009 7:48pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by herbo1 View Post
    Hey, it's actually not a typo. It's a phrase that seems to have come about the past couple of years (in my experience), mainly used at seminars, as its how the grandmaster often explains the need for more training.

So, We need more practise = There's always something more to learn.

I can totally see tho, from an outside perspective how it looks strange lol
    Can you flip them faNz and cut a rug in that General's Uniform, while doing a spin hook kick 3 times?..

What about disarming two individuals that are wielding knives using only one hand?

If not, then you need more practice.

:ninjadanc

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 12:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As much as I loved/hated kuk sool, what pissed me off the mostwas this whole "You Need More Practice" ****! It is **** **** **** **** and more ****!

I am one who believes in "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect." I guess what I'm mad at is that this Kuk Sool idear of mindlessly repeating compliant techniques is a recipe for disaster and what really pissed me off was that all these repetitions were merely reinforcing BAD BAD habits!

I don't mind work, but I DO mind busywork. And that is one of the biggest problems in Kuk Sool---instructors who "think" they know how to do it right when in fact they don't.

That is why "alive" training is better! If it works, then it is right. Unlike kuk sool's never ending bunch of scabs saying "oh no, the technique has changed! Here do it like this!"

What a mess.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 3:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkdbuck76 View Post
    As much as I loved/hated kuk sool, what pissed me off the mostwas this whole "You Need More Practice" ****! It is **** **** **** **** and more ****!

I am one who believes in "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect." I guess what I'm mad at is that this Kuk Sool idear of mindlessly repeating compliant techniques is a recipe for disaster and what really pissed me off was that all these repetitions were merely reinforcing BAD BAD habits!

I don't mind work, but I DO mind busywork. And that is one of the biggest problems in Kuk Sool---instructors who "think" they know how to do it right when in fact they don't.

That is why "alive" training is better! If it works, then it is right. Unlike kuk sool's never ending bunch of scabs saying "oh no, the technique has changed! Here do it like this!"

What a mess.
    I agree to an extent. IMO, it's not so much bad habits as it is pointless techniques. Most of the Hapkido techniques in Kuk Sool could have an application IRL(Not the 2 man one hand technique**I mean, come on**), and the practice gets you in to pretty good shape.. but all the flashy spinning kicks, fan techniques, sword forms, blah blah blah.. etc..

I mean, the sword forms - case in point - They're pointless. other than maybe helping you to get into shape, they dont teach you a damn thing about properly using a sword. it's just for show. The fans too. All the times I've had my ass kicked, it was never with fuckin pink fans.

i totaly agree with the concept of 'More Practice' though. You cannot get better without it. I just always wondered why the Kuk Sool Won banned other schools from entering the tournaments they held. I always assumed it was because they put more emphasis on looking flashy than kicking ass.

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 9:20pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my experience, they don't spar much in kuk sool. Sure, I bet there are a few out there that spar. Why do they spar so little? Answer: sparring is not one of the requirements for black belt! As you may or may not know Alpha, BB testing must be done with Kuk Sa Nym present. And most folks only get to see him once per year (twice per year if your instructor was nice enough to fly him in sometime in winter like my teacher did). So kuksool students are made to cram all 226 white-to-black techniques in. So since they spar very little, if they had open tournaments, the non-Soolians would map the floors with their asses.

Some guys arrived at Kuk Sool already with sparring and fighting experience. Jay Lee (who I don't think is active anymore) was a US Marine and had rank in other systems. It was either Marlin Sims or Wayne Murray (I just can't remember which) said that Jay Lee mixed it up with some MT guys and beat them. To which I said "of course. All Marines box!" Jay Lee was one big corn-fed mofo from Oklahoma. I mean, if there are badasses in kuk sool, it is only because they were already badasses before they were given fluffy pink fans.

You mentioned hapkido techniques in kuksool. Der explained to me that kuksool contains hapkido. But that is not what they tell you here in America. No. The newer kuksool textbooks make a point to stat that while Kuk Sa Nym and Choi Yong Sul knew each other by reputation, Kuk Sa Nym never learned from Choi.

Somebody please help me out here, but is that a lie? I know Kuk Sa Nym's brother trained in Hapkido (Seo, In-sun).
    Last edited by jkdbuck76; 11/10/2009 9:24pm at .
    SEANBABY:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 10:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2009 10:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just noticed you were already there JKDbuck76..

Shows you how much I know about teh R33L KSW(very little, apparently).. It's BS.. any and all Hapkido came from Choi via Takeda Sokaku(Daito-Ryu).. And yes, Suh learned from him and/or from his direct students. I don't know what his problem is with this God Complex stuff.. Even Grandmaster Ji and others will at least admit that they learned from Choi. And Ji taught Bruce Lee, among others..
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast