Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2009 8:13pm

Style: BJJ/MuayThai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    To the OP: wait till some new guys come in, you'll be surprised what you've learned. While it may sound cliche, it's true: work on position. Get good position and subs will follow.
    +1
    If they were training there when you started, you may never reach the same level as them because they will ALSO be improving.

You will need to use fresh n00bs as your measuring stick.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    11/04/2009 11:29pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    Isn't it though? Isn't it really?
    By that logic the KMA forum should be merged in JMA as TKD is Korean Shotokan and Hapikido is Korean Aikijujutsu. BJJ may be based on Judo, but it evolved independently for the last half century and its own entity.

Posted On:
    11/04/2009 11:50pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm just yanking the Gracie nutriders' chains. Although there's much more post-Maeda crossover from Judo to BJJ and cross-training between than is commonly acknowledged (e.g. the triangle choke).

Where do we put the bullshit American quasi gendai budo JJ styles?

Posted On:
    11/05/2009 12:04am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnconstantine View Post
    hey guys sorry for this and yes i am a newbbie, just been training for a month and half in bjj and i no i wil be getting owned to a while but how long does some basic subs come along, i am not really bothered about belts i want to learn i just dont want it to be as if i am just the rag doll for the dojo.

cheers
    You can learn subs in one class or one week. Your problem however, is going to be the delivery system and fundamental movement necessary to control your opponent through all of the transitions necessary to apply the sub. And those with more experience are going to be better at it than you.

The cold harsh truth is that your defence will improve so that you are no longer getting completely owned every round. But your teammates will improve like you will, so it's going to be a while before you catch all your teammates with subs. You're probably going to have to be satisfied with surviving, and in a few months there will be newer people to test your subs out on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2009 12:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't get a submission for quite some time when I started.

It may help to try submissions on people worse/newer than you so you can get the basic feel of how to execute them versus a resisting opponent. From there, roll with people of equal or better skill to work on the finer points.

Also rolling with higher belts can provide some insight. Many times they will help you out with different moves and you can also observe/ask them how they executed a specific submission on you.

That brings up another point, you can learn aspects of applying submissions when they are being used on you.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    11/05/2009 12:44am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get to drilling son! Seriously drill like dead drills, then do isolation sparring until you hate doing it. Then do hip movement drills until hell freezes over.

mr. Hobbes

Posted On:
    11/05/2009 12:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    Get to drilling son! Seriously drill like dead drills, then do isolation sparring until you hate doing it. Then do hip movement drills until hell freezes over.
    what if he just sparred ever other day?

I only do full out staring from standing or knees sparring like one day a week (for about and hour and a half)

the rest of the time its either slow or positional sparring.

I would recommend this to you, as I personally feel like I am improving much faster with this system rather then the previous system of spending most of my mat time full out sparring.

Hell some times I don't even spar, I just drill for an hour, some times more...

Drill, or better yet, just work on transitions. I only use 2 subs, Ezekiel and Americana (some times kimura and bat/scissor choke) all I do is, sweep, side control, or kasagetame, and Americana, if they resist I repeat, if I can get mount I mount, then I just go, Americana, they escape it, Ezekiel all set up again, and repeat. (Time often runs out but **** it, I just won six to zip)

If you have a good mount you should be able to do nothing all day.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    11/05/2009 1:13am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm talking about on his own time. Class time is for learning new positions, submissions, transitions, and sparring. Open mat time is where imo the work gets put in. Out of class drill the essential fundamental movements (shrimping, armbar drill, escapes, arm drag to the back, wall spins, guard passing drills) with an experienced guy. (This is for white to blue belts imo) This kinda bs, will help you build your skills and make learning/adding new moves easy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2009 1:17am

Style: slackerjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Position, then Dominance, then Submission.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2009 1:29am

Style: Shitoryu Karate and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been doing BJJ for.... two months now. I think I have gotten a total of 2 subs total, both on the same person (who has missed even more classes than I have >_<).

I'm no expert at this yet, obviously, but I would presume the answer is pretty simple. The more you practice, the better you'll do. And the people that have been practicing longer than you, will obviously have an advantage. So practice as hard as you can to try and catch up. Simple, no?

Personally, I'm glad I can last for longer than 5 minutes even with the other white belts!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast