Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/05/2008 3:26pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo in London

Did a search on here but was unable to find any info, and google isn't throwing up much although Budokwai looks like a possible option. Anyway, I'm moving to London in a month or so, and looking for a good Judo school in the area. I have a beginner's knowledge of BJJ, hoping to perhaps cross-train when I can afford to. I've got hold of Mike Swain's Judo DVD and also Dave Camarillo's 'Position Impossible' set to give me a basic idea of some of the techniques involved although obviously, as a beginner, I'm not looking to learn Judo from them right now, although the solo drills could be useful. Also, north London clubs would be preferable.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: apologies if this is in the wrong forum

Edit 2: this place looks promising http://www.tokeicentre.org/index.shtml
    Last edited by Horus; 12/05/2008 3:40pm at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/05/2008 4:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Kempo-Goju Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The UK has many tough Judo clubs, and performs strongly on the international scene, and puts out a lot of strong players.

It should be very easy to find a good club in Metropolitian London.
    16 years till retirement.

Posted On:
    12/07/2008 5:53pm

Style: Lethargy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The place you found is BJA qualified, you wont know for sure until you try it but its a good sign.

Use this - http://www.britishjudo.org.uk/thesport/findclub.php
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    Dude, whassup? Did they freeze your dick then accidentally use it to cool down a thimble full of water? Or, did you mis-spell crayonist? You know, the guy who makes sure the wax crayons you use aren't too sharp in case you decide to do the decent thing and kill yourself.
    Training log. Here

JFS vs The Villain here

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    12/07/2008 6:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was going to pop down the Tokei for the Wrestling on Saturdays but from what I remember you can't pay a one off fee and it wouldn't have really been worth it for me to pay the monthly fees for one class every couple of weeks.

It looks pretty good and you can train in BJJ, Judo and Wrestling. Give it a try and let us know how it is. I for one would be very interested to hear your opinion of it.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2008 1:47pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK thanks for the tips. I'll give them a look when I move there and see which one I think is best for me (probably be based more on location than anything, in which case Tokei is front runner)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2008 3:52pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you've got the opportunity to train at the Budokwai, then thats where you should go. No question.

Posted On:
    12/09/2008 4:17am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For Judo defintely try the Budokwai.

Or this guy Ray Stevens former Olympic Silver medalist and currently a 6th Dan(also a BJJ Black) teaches classes in Wimbledon.
    http://www.raystevensjudo.co.uk/

Posted On:
    12/09/2008 11:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm blocked in the office but consider Sampson Sampson - a gentleman of Greek Cypriot origin and a 6th Dan. He's on the Acquaterra website that runs the Sobell Centre in Islington.

I have visited the dojo (temporary Naginata home) and it's small but excellent.

Who knows I might eventually get there myself.

That apart, The Budokwai is THE place to go but I was warned by a Judo 3rd Dan that they tend to use you as fodder. Not sure how true that is so regrets if I besmirch their good name. OTOH, "The Pyjama Game" by Mark Somebody is his journey as an out of condition 50 year beginner at The Budokwai. Thoroughly encouraging and good read.

Cheers

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    12/09/2008 2:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fodder how?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/09/2008 3:04pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I can't quite see why a club with the reputation and standing of the Budokwai would foster an atmosphere were newbs are viewed as fodder. What good would it do them?
    The practices are probably hard, and you get plenty of top flight players there, so most normal players no doubt spend a lot of time in flight, but that by no means makes you fodder.

Anyone on here ever actually trained there care to comment?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast