Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/02/2009 7:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pacquiao Ready For Cotto - But What About Mayweather?

Manny Pacquiao and Miguel Cotto are set to go at it next Saturday, November 14th. And while Manny is a heavy favorite, he is not taking Cotto, who is known to be a heavy hitter, for granted.
    In a recent interview, reporters asked Pacman what he thought about the chances of he and Pretty Boy Floyd duking it out and he responded in the article below..
    I really don't think Manny is the type to get ahead of himself, as he is too focused and down to earth for that. But everyone knows that while next week's fight will be a decent one in which Manny is expected to prevail, most people are more anxious to see a matchup featuring the loud- mouthed Mayweather and the likable, people's champion - Manny Pacquiao.
    I am going to predict a 7th or 8th round stoppage in favor of Manny in the Cotto fight.
    As far as Pacman - Mayweather goes - lets just say that I would like to see it, but I am not going to hold my breath. I won't even bother to make a prediction unless there is some real possibility of it happening.
    Anybody think Cotto has a chance of pulling off an upset? He does have power, that much is certain.But can he pull off a knock out against one of the most relentless, energetic fighters in the sport?
    Here's the article :

LOS ANGELES - Manny Pacquiao believes the biggest potential fight in boxing will never happen because Floyd Mayweather Jr. wants no part of him.

Pacquiao is training in Hollywood for his meeting with Miguel Cotto on Nov. 14 in Las Vegas, but the pound-for-pound champion spared a moment Thursday to evaluate his chances of fighting Mayweather, the unbeaten pay-per-view king. Although the matchup almost certainly would be a financial bonanza for both fighters, Pacquiao thinks fans shouldn't hold their breath.

"I don't think it's going to happen," Pacquiao said. "I'm sure he doesn't want to fight."

Mayweather has been circumspect about his plans for his next bout, saying only that he has never ducked anybody and would consider any opponent. In his comeback bout from a 21-month layoff, Mayweather demolished Juan Manuel Marquez on Sept. 19 in a fight that generated more than one million pay-per-view buys.

Mayweather's advisers claim they haven't ruled out a bout with Pacquiao, likely among the world's few fighters who could match Money's speed. But the Filipino champion has surprisingly strong opinions about why it won't happen.

"Boxing for him is like a business," Pacquiao said. "He doesn't care about the people around him watching. He doesn't care if the fight is boring, as long as the fight is finished and he gets (plenty of) money. ... I want people to be happy. You have a big responsibility as a boxer."

If Mayweather and Pacquiao don't make a deal, Sugar Shane Mosley has been outspoken in his desire to fight Mayweather, even calling him out in the ring moments after his victory over Marquez. Mosley is slated to meet welterweight champion Andre Berto in Las Vegas in January.

After arriving in California last Saturday, Pacquiao has been ramping up his training regimen this week while also battling jet lag that forced him to sleep for about 20 hours on Wednesday, wiping out a day of training. Because of tax issues, Pacquiao's camp began in Manila and moved to Hollywood later than trainer Freddie Roach usually prefers.

"I'm not worried about it, because he's always known how to block everything out," Roach said. "If anybody can do it, he can."

Pacquiao looked fairly sharp while sparring 11 rounds Thursday at Roach's Wild Card Gym in front of a small group of spectators including Los Angeles Lakers forward Ron Artest and his father, Ron Sr., both avid boxing fans and Pacquiao admirers.

Pacquiao will spar 12 rounds on Saturday before gradually scaling back in preparation for his trip to Las Vegas to meet Cotto, the once-beaten welterweight champion whose combination of size and strength will be unlike anything the former flyweight champion has faced. Cotto is in camp in Tampa. Fla., before travelling to the West Coast next week.

"I consider this one of the hardest fights in my boxing career," Pacquiao said.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    11/02/2009 7:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could see Mayweather beating pacquio anyway he does alot of dodgy sidestepping stuff, Pacquio IMO would tend to go straight forward into it

Posted On:
    11/02/2009 9:30pm

Style: Ronin wannabe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing's not exactly dead, but they NEED that fight to happen. That or for a legit heavyweight champion to take over, and we know how likely that is to happen.

blotter art.

Posted On:
    11/03/2009 12:39am

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That fight would be boring as **** anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2009 3:45am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cotto is going to win by devastating body punching in the late rounds. Cotto will be bloody, he'll hit low every once in a while, but he'll win.

Posted On:
    11/05/2009 8:58am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pacquaio is in my opinion the most entertaining boxer of this current era, however Cotto is more than capable of beating him. Cotto is durable, has great cardio and knockout power. This wont be an easy fight.

Those that watched the Manny vs Marquiz fights will know that a decent counter puncher stands a good chance against the Filippino and Mayweather is more than just decent.

This is why if Manny Vs Mayweather happens i would expect Mayweather to win and win convincingly.

Styles make fights and Pacquaio vs Mayweather would probably a 12 round game of cat and mouse not the classic that some are hoping for.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/05/2009 9:55am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Cotto has an excellent chance of winning. He is the naturally bigger man and can stick to a fight plan as evidenced by his bout with Shane Mosley. Pacquiao's aggression could play into Cotto's hands like Mosely's did. If Pacquiao stops him I will be shocked.

If a bout with Mayweather is arranged then Freddie Roach would insist on a weight limit of about 145 for Pacquiao-Maywheather. Mayweather would likely disregard it. The fight would go ahead anyway because Pacquiao would not walk away from the payday for the fight. Then he would lose a 12 round decision because not only is Mayweather faster but he is far superior on defense. And, as has been pointed out, a good counter-puncher can frustrate Pacquiao.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2009 10:56am

Style: Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MattQ View Post
    I think Cotto has an excellent chance of winning. He is the naturally bigger man and can stick to a fight plan as evidenced by his bout with Shane Mosley. Pacquiao's aggression could play into Cotto's hands like Mosely's did. If Pacquiao stops him I will be shocked.

If a bout with Mayweather is arranged then Freddie Roach would insist on a weight limit of about 145 for Pacquiao-Maywheather. Mayweather would likely disregard it. The fight would go ahead anyway because Pacquiao would not walk away from the payday for the fight. Then he would lose a 12 round decision because not only is Mayweather faster but he is far superior on defense. And, as has been pointed out, a good counter-puncher can frustrate Pacquiao.
    We're getting into "What If" territory, but I think Pacquiao, unlike, Marquez would be willing to walk away if Mayweather pulls another "missed weight" stunt. Pacquiao already has made a lot of money, is a big name in boxing, and has a number of possible other fights that could get people interested. He doesn't really need Mayweather at this point in his career.

As for Cotto, I think this fight is lot more dangerous for Pac than some people realize.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/05/2009 11:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree that Cotto poses a legitimate threat, that goes without saying when you are talking about a heavy hitter - the 'puncher's chance' is always there. I cannot count Manny out though - he's the kind of fighter it isn't smart to bet against.
    Two things are for certain, it won't be a boring fight (as a fight with Mayweather likely would be!) and it is going to be hard to find a bar that will be showing it because UFC is running the same night !!
    I really wish more people still watched Boxing. The level of interest right now is pretty low...
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/12/2009 9:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Early odds out of Vegas have Pacquiao as a 3-1 favorite to win..
    Most inside the sport think it is going to be a great fight while it lasts..perhaps even rivalling the Hagler-Hearns 3- round slugfest back in the 80's in terms of pure excitement and number of power punches.
    It should be an exciting night.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast