Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread: I feel... idle

Style
    being a fatty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I feel... idle

So as some of you may know, I'm not joining judo till after volleyball season ends (perhaps even after school ends)

In the meantime, I feel very.. idle. I wrestle with my friend once a blue moon (we're both 4.0 students with different AP, so our study times don't match up well), though he knows only the very basics of grappling (pulling a guard, sweep, americana/keylock, armbar, rear naked choke) and I know barely more than that (other guards such as half-guard and pretzel/rubberman guard, guard sweeps, triangle choke, kimura, crucifix).

So, I don't feel like I get much practice or anything at all. (not because of our skill level as we're about the same, but because of how rare it is) At the moment, I'm just doing general workouts (plyo- and iso- metrics, no weights), though I feel like I could be spending my time more efficiently.

What should I do? There's Shadow boxing, throwing combos, working on footwork but I don't know how to work on this alone with any aliveness at all, or in a way that will benefit me once I rejoin martial arts.

Any suggestions? (I get to work on Weights soon so I get more mass! My dad's membership expires March 3rd so he's going to get me a membership to the gym then too)

EDIT: I've read that machines and muscle isolation exercises working till failure is bad and doesn't develop mass. Is that true? Should I use only free weights?

Read from:
    http://stronglifts.com/how-to-build-muscle-mass-guide/
    Last edited by Cuddles; 2/23/2013 11:34pm at .

Style
    mma
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you could at least learn to breakfall, when you do start judo you will be better prepared

Also get you cardio up so you're not wasting your training partners time gassing and recovering during every roll

Running is good for that and there are loads of running resources on the site

Style
    being a fatty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    If you could at least learn to breakfall, when you do start judo you will be better prepared

Also get you cardio up so you're not wasting your training partners time gassing and recovering during every roll

Running is good for that and there are loads of running resources on the site
    Okay, I'll work on cardio.

A curious question:
    How useful are a boxer's slips, bobs, and weaves in a striking rules fight. In Kempo Karate, I was told not to slip and bob as much as I did (I was a light fighter, 125lbs. I'm now nearing the 140 lbs range and want to get to 180 lbs) because I would be in danger of a kick or a knee coming up and should instead block or completely move out of the way so I wouldn't be out of position as easily. Which makes sense as I've eaten a knee to the forehead while ducking a hook before. (Thank God it missed my nose)

I'm asking this because my friend says that he'd like to do either boxing or kickboxing along with Judo with me, and I'm having trouble deciding which to join. Thus, we will have Judo for groundwork and boxing/kbox for striking.

As far as I can tell, Boxing is good for the head movement, but if Kickboxers don't use it as much... it's probably not as useful in a fight with kicks allowed (which would be any mma/streetfight) so Kboxing would win out.

However, if Boxing would prove more useful in conjunction with Judo, I'd much rather us learn that together. (Well, there's actually four of us, but one is in Karate and only wants to do Judo and the other is new but only wants to strike.)

Style
    being a fatty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.intlmac.com/
    Won't allow you to spar until you've practiced for four months.

"The style we teach is called Rhythm Muay Thai. It is the best stand up martial art. It is quick and effective, the best way to learn how to move your body with balance and power... All the techniques that we teach are practical for defending yourself. When you know how to defend yourself you will walk with confidence." Sounds similar to a McDojo. They don't have any professional fighters coming from the location I'm looking at. I have no idea what Rhythm Muay Thai is.

BIG RED FLAG:
    "There is no Sparring with other students in the Basic Muay Thai Kickboxing course."

http://www.nhcfitness.com/los-alamit...thai/index.php
    Says that you don't need to be fit to practice muay thai as they will get you fit. They don't have any professional fighters.

BIG RED FLAG:
    You are not allowed to spar until 4 months into training and must be in the Advanced Muay Thai class. (Pay more. Beginners don't get alive training)

Does anyone have a review on these two places? They teach Kickboxing but also teach Hapkido which makes me wary of them.

Style
    Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jason Scully has some videos on solo training drills. I do those a lot because I travel for work and am often away from a place to train. Anyway, I like it, and you may feel it translates to more efficient use of time as it develops skill as well as fitness.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Their slideshow has people striking with poor form in a bunch of pics. Throwing a cross with the back foot way off the ground, both arms opening wide for round kicks, hands not up for elbows, bad posture.

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: I feel... idle

Cuddles, allow me to make a few points:

1) GO CHECK THESE PLACES OUT!!! A website could make a place look like a McDojo/Bullshido, yet it's actually a great place, and vise versa. Hell, if you have to pay $10 to get a intro class, pay it. It's not as bad as getting a few months in and finally realising they suck, and you've already dumped who knows how much time and money into it.

2) Just because a style may not be known to practice certain things like head movement, it doesn't mean none do. Go to the gym AND ASK QUESTIONS. Write out a list of things you'd like to know so you don't forget. If you think of more questions after you receive some answers, you can always call/email the teacher or visit the school again.

3) Realise that finding a good gym may take time. You could luck out and the first gym you walk into is everything you want/need, or you could spend a couple months getting your feet wet and experiencing what your area has to offer. Neither of these would be a bad thing.

4) I don't recall exactly what your goals are for practicing MA, but you might want to get familiar with some local laws regarding self defence. Kickboxing, in it's many forms, can be a great MA for sport, exercise, and self defense; however, kicks can land you in a lot of legal trouble in some places.

5) A school making you wait 4 months before sparring does not mean they are a McDojo. I do find it odd that these "advanced" classes cost more, but it is important to learn technique before sparring, IMO. Especially if you are not used to sparring/fighting/being in a confrontation, your adrenaline will jump, and you will likely forget everything you just learned only to start "brawling".

6) I wouldn't recommend trying to learn anything MA related prior to being in front of an instructor. Even with breakfalls, you run the risk of breaking bones or getting seriously injured. Just make sure you are in shape and your cardio is up to par.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Lift a lot of weights and sexually assault anyone who tries step to you. Flip the script. Watch that fight turn to flight when you go for penetration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Just for future reference dude..... when you are doing it right you don't soil your under-roos when you nail chicks.

Style
    being a fatty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    Cuddles, allow me to make a few points:

1) GO CHECK THESE PLACES OUT!!! A website could make a place look like a McDojo/Bullshido, yet it's actually a great place, and vise versa. Hell, if you have to pay $10 to get a intro class, pay it. It's not as bad as getting a few months in and finally realising they suck, and you've already dumped who knows how much time and money into it.

2) Just because a style may not be known to practice certain things like head movement, it doesn't mean none do. Go to the gym AND ASK QUESTIONS. Write out a list of things you'd like to know so you don't forget. If you think of more questions after you receive some answers, you can always call/email the teacher or visit the school again.

3) Realise that finding a good gym may take time. You could luck out and the first gym you walk into is everything you want/need, or you could spend a couple months getting your feet wet and experiencing what your area has to offer. Neither of these would be a bad thing.

4) I don't recall exactly what your goals are for practicing MA, but you might want to get familiar with some local laws regarding self defence. Kickboxing, in it's many forms, can be a great MA for sport, exercise, and self defense; however, kicks can land you in a lot of legal trouble in some places.

5) A school making you wait 4 months before sparring does not mean they are a McDojo. I do find it odd that these "advanced" classes cost more, but it is important to learn technique before sparring, IMO. Especially if you are not used to sparring/fighting/being in a confrontation, your adrenaline will jump, and you will likely forget everything you just learned only to start "brawling".

6) I wouldn't recommend trying to learn anything MA related prior to being in front of an instructor. Even with breakfalls, you run the risk of breaking bones or getting seriously injured. Just make sure you are in shape and your cardio is up to par.
    1) Hmm.. I see. I'll definitely see if I can drop by, perhaps next month though as this month is PACKED with pre-season and on-season volleyball games. (We have like 3 games next week? Pretty insane)

2) Well I was just wondering what "Rythym Muay Thai" is. It sounds more like those "Cardio Kick Boxing" than an actual defense system.

3) I know, I've been looking since 7th grade when I was introduced to full-contact sparring. Since then, I've been looking for a good gym with full-contact training, at least once a week.

4) Self-defense and because I love martial arts. It's amazing. If it's in self-defense, I'm pretty sure I won't get into too much trouble for kicking someone, as long as I make it clear he attacked first and I say, "I defended myself until I felt safe again". I'm allowed to defend myself against anyone who may threaten my security.

5) Unfortunately I'm experienced in the art of stand-up fighting and was 2011 and 2012 Kempo Champion for State. I also competed nationally but didn't win anything so that doesn't really count. Also, every single dojo I've seen allows you to spar at white belt EXCEPT one, but that was because they did ONLY full-contact fighting. At least in other dojos (that might not go full-contact daily), they allow a white belt to spar and work on their defense and timing.

The higher cost is killing my libido.

6) How about of things I've learned in the past? I've learned breakfalls (we called them slap-outs), shadow boxing, combos, forms, etc. I just think that doing these things may be a waste of time since I'm not actually sparring. (Though I practice throwing a few combos daily.)

However, I believe you are more knowledgeable than I and I shall listen. I will work on my cardio and not extend too far.

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: I feel... idle

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    1) Hmm.. I see. I'll definitely see if I can drop by, perhaps next month though as this month is PACKED with pre-season and on-season volleyball games. (We have like 3 games next week? Pretty insane)
    Take your time. You'll thank me.

2) Well I was just wondering what "Rythym Muay Thai" is. It sounds more like those "Cardio Kick Boxing" than an actual defense system.
    That's how they spell "rhythm"? lol I hope not.

3) I know, I've been looking since 7th grade when I was introduced to full-contact sparring. Since then, I've been looking for a good gym with full-contact training, at least once a week.
    Keep it up.

4) Self-defense and because I love martial arts. It's amazing. If it's in self-defense, I'm pretty sure I won't get into too much trouble for kicking someone, as long as I make it clear he attacked first and I say, "I defended myself until I felt safe again". I'm allowed to defend myself against anyone who may threaten my security.
    I never said you're not entitled to defend yourself in a self defence scenario, I said look into your local laws. Kicks can be considered deadly weapons and thus could land you in a lot of trouble against an opponent who is using nothing that could be considered a deadly weapon. The same could be said about throws and really MA in general. LOOK INTO YOUR LOCAL LAWS AND USE DISCRETION!

5) Unfortunately I'm experienced in the art of stand-up fighting and was 2011 and 2012 Kempo Champion for State. I also competed nationally but didn't win anything so that doesn't really count. Also, every single dojo I've seen allows you to spar at white belt EXCEPT one, but that was because they did ONLY full-contact fighting. At least in other dojos (that might not go full-contact daily), they allow a white belt to spar and work on their defense and timing.
    Elaborate on this about about only doing full contact fighting. Are you saying they never pull punches, or is this a "too deadly" scenario?

6) How about of things I've learned in the past? I've learned breakfalls (we called them slap-outs), shadow boxing, combos, forms, etc. I just think that doing these things may be a waste of time since I'm not actually sparring. (Though I practice throwing a few combos daily.)
    If it's a waste of time then what are you worried about learning while you're not sparring for?

However, I believe you are more knowledgeable than I and I shall listen. I will work on my cardio and not extend too far.
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet lol. I'm just trying to give you some very basic help with finding a good school and keeping yourself injury and lawsuit free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Lift a lot of weights and sexually assault anyone who tries step to you. Flip the script. Watch that fight turn to flight when you go for penetration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Just for future reference dude..... when you are doing it right you don't soil your under-roos when you nail chicks.

Style
    being a fatty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    Take your time. You'll thank me.
    Okay I will.
    That's how they spell "rhythm"? lol I hope not.
    Well no, but they put rhythm muay thai on their website instead of just Muay Thai.
    Keep it up.
    Still looking. It's not easy to find a good one locally, at least where I live. We have one Kempo Karate studio surrounded by 6+ TKD schools. I've looked into 3 of the TKD schools and was horrendously disappointed by their padded armor and light contact.
    I never said you're not entitled to defend yourself in a self defence scenario, I said look into your local laws. Kicks can be considered deadly weapons and thus could land you in a lot of trouble against an opponent who is using nothing that could be considered a deadly weapon. The same could be said about throws and really MA in general. LOOK INTO YOUR LOCAL LAWS AND USE DISCRETION!
    Okay, I get what you're saying. I'll look into it. Thank you for the heads-up

Elaborate on this about about only doing full contact fighting. Are you saying they never pull punches, or is this a "too deadly" scenario?
    To my understanding, because the studio only hit bodyshots (They didn't wear headgear so you weren't allowed to hit the face) they never pulled punches. At the very least, I never did while practicing there. Thus, they didn't expect a white belt to spar at that intensity.
    If it's a waste of time then what are you worried about learning while you're not sparring for?
    Not so much learning, but more of preparation to go back into martial arts. My dad had me enrolled in martial arts since I was 4 (though almost ALL of them proved to be Bullshido so I've only had maybe 5 years of "actual" training.) and this is probably the longest time since I haven't been participating in a school. Thus, I'm a little anxious to get back into it.
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet lol. I'm just trying to give you some very basic help with finding a good school and keeping yourself injury and lawsuit free.
    I understand, but I've seen your other posts while lurking around and can tell that you know what you're talking about.

If anything, someone else (like Omega and goodlun) would step in if you said something incorrect.

Thank you very much for your patience and understanding in answering my questions. It's very much appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last