Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/01/2009 7:03pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Marcelo Garcia BJJ NYC

Marcelo Garcia, one of the top pound for pound grapplers in the world, opened a new studio in New York City in mid-October 2009. It is a large (for NYC) and attractive space with brand new high end mats on the floors and walls. The locker room for men has three just-installed showers, three changing booths, and a set of cubbies for clothes. There is a separate facility for women.

I won't get into Marcelo's various tournament victories, as anyone with even a passing interest in sport jiujitsu knows that he is one of the world's best. In addition to his skill as a competitor, he's a fine teacher with a remarkable ability to identify exactly what a player must do to improve. Unlike many stars, he teaches all classes at the academy -- beginner to advanced -- personally.

The students are a friendly, welcoming bunch, and Marcelo's own legendarily pleasant demeanor is infectious. Average class size is ~20 persons, for which there is more than enough room on the mats.

Classes are Monday through Saturday. MWFS 12:30 classes are mixed level, MF with gi, WS no-gi. M-F 18:00 class is Fundamentals (beginners), M-F 19:00 is Advanced; MWF with gi, T and Th no-gi. It is typical for dedicated students to take the Fundamentals and Advanced classes back to back.

Unlimited classes cost $200/mo with a 1-year agreement, $230/mo for a 6-month agreement, $250 month-to-month. 2x/week classes cost $175/mo for 1-yr, $205/mo for 6-months, $230/mo for month-to-month. These rates are quite expensive, but are slightly less than those at Renzo's and Alliance NYC.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Pingo

Posted On:
    11/01/2009 10:59pm

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Each class is taught by Marcelo??? That's amazing...I've gotta get out there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/02/2009 2:20am

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate you Jack. In a non-violent, completely jealous kind of way.
    Spendy as hell, but man, I couldn't imagine a year under his instruction directly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2009 5:33pm

Style: Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    are there any drop-in rates?

Posted On:
    11/04/2009 6:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by T3hJudoChop View Post
    are there any drop-in rates?
    None posted. If it's a one-time or rare sort of thing, you can probably just drop by and pay a small mat fee.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Posted On:
    12/05/2009 4:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Muay Thai, CKM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I called in yesterday and the woman at the desk told me drop in fees are $40 per day for unlimited classes.

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 1:55am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu/Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You also forgot to add that Macelo rolls with is students on a daily basis

Posted On:
    2/25/2010 12:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by boricuany8 View Post
    You also forgot to add that Macelo rolls with is students on a daily basis
    I've mainly trained at places where the instructors roll with students, so it didn't occur to me that it would need to be said. But you're right, I should add that he's a very engaged teacher who pays careful attention to his students and rolls with them every day.