Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. 9chambers

Posted On:
    11/10/2002 9:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    poorboy,

Low kicks don't require that much distance. Shove, box or grapple up top and whip one in there low. Muay Thai fighters fight just as close as boxers and they kick all the time. They don't back up and do a butterfly kick.

I've seen kicks to the abdoman double guys over and send them to the ground ghasping for air. A guy can't flex his stomach every second and he can't flex his lower abdoman enough to matter.

It can end a fight pretty quick if you get a solid kick to the balls and they aren't wearing a cup. If a guy's stomach isn't hunched and flexed then you can knock the wind out of him with a solid rear leg front stamp. That can tip the scales in your favor.

There have been UFC, K1 and PrideFC bouts ended by kicks to the leg. Tank Abbot surrendered in a UFC bout because of MT kicks to his leg. Michael McDonald accidentally landed a low blow in one of his last two matches when he won the K1 Grand Prix this year. The guy went down to the canvas like a sack. They had to stop the fight and let him walk it off for 3 or 4 minutes. (He was even wearing a cup) Mark Coleman got knocked out by Pete Williams with one kick to the jaw. Maurice Smith won a fight with just a single kick to the jaw. These aren't the only examples of this happening. I've personally sent guys to the ground with kicks quite a few times.

Edited by - 9chambers on November 10 2002 08:55:16

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2002 11:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you're right, low kicks don't require much distance. but we're not talking about kickers vs. boxers, we're talking about tkd which as far as i know allows kicks to the torso and head and punches to the torso.

abdominal kicks would hurt, but i think a boxer is more accostomed to taking hard body shots than your average joe.

a kick to the balls will hurt, but so will a punch or a knee.

i know leg kicks have ended a fight, but never a single leg kick, which is what i was arguing, plus once again we're talking about tkd. i know williams and smith won with head kicks, but not against guys trained to keep their hands up.

just my $.02
  3. Michael

Posted On:
    11/10/2002 8:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well poorboy don't clump all the TKD guys together. Remember your reference sounds like yout talking about WTF foo foo Olympic fighters that dance around like a kangaroo with a firecracker up its ass.......

Besides boxers blow dog chunks.

Two guys walk into a bar....ouch that's gotta hurt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2002 9:35pm

Style: TKD, soon BJJ JUDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    low kicks really do work. i have seen someone get se4nt to the mat with one low kick. if you are using ppct they it will work. as far as hand techniques go just mix it up man use low and high attacks along with low and med kicks and you have got yourself a nasty combo.

after that low kick just kick to the head thats it.

Today impossible, Tomarrow Possible
    Grand Master H.U. Lee
  5. 9chambers

Posted On:
    11/10/2002 10:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Vitor Belfort is a BJJ guy who is also a boxer. He uses his boxing skills really well in UFC fights and then supports it with good grappling. Boxing doesn't "blow" if it is combined with other stuff.

Boxing is an above the waist style .. more of an isolated drill to teach punching. It is a segment of combat just like wrestling. Its a drill. Point sparring is also a drill.

We are comparing those two isolated drills? .. or are we comparing what boxers and TKD guys would do without the rules?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2002 1:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nobody's really answered my rules question. i guess you just make up the rules as you post to make it look like your style will win.

why is anyone still arguing about low kicks? has anyone said low kicks aren't effective?

vitor is a great example...he's a 3rd rate boxer (at best) who still beat everybody's ass before he was afraid to punch.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    11/11/2002 3:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >Boxing is an above the waist style

This give the wrong impression. Ask any boxer what is one of the most important thing ahd they will most likely tell you FOOTWORK. A boxer who is flatfooted and slugs will get killed. A boxer has to be able to 'dance'.

Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    11/11/2002 8:26pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing has excellent footwork and that lends to their mobility - and because they keep their legs exclusively for mobility, their punching is improved. That why many arts look to boxing to fill in some of the holes they have.

And I really don't see why so many people are so damned obsessed with kicking. Kicks DO have their place, but other than front/push/footjab kicks, roundhouses, and maybe a side, they're too risky and flashy. Why kick high when you can throw a good punch combo? I think it has a lot more to do with the flashy technique done in movies, and the flash and "pretty" factor present in point sparring. Personally, I'd put function over form.

I REALLY dislike kicking that requires balancing on one foot, turning your back, or doing something that could be done easier with another technique. Those high roundhouses (to a standing opponent) followed by a reverse roundhouse (or heel kick), or a hook or back kick for that matter, are ridiculous. Why not HOOK PUNCH? (Regarding high roundhouses) And, regarding hook kicks and back kicks, a hook kick is basically a roundhouse from one side, coming from another, but coming from around your back.
    A Back kick is a front/side but you have to spin and turn your back. What are you doing turning your back in the first place? I can understand "faking out" like with a hook vs a spinning back fist, but if you opponent learns how to deal with them you're just prancing around waiting to get reamed. Unless the rules in the competition disallow it, if someone spun and turned their back, instead of doing something fancy, just rush in and shove them over! Turning your back is really inviting a good solid blow to your backside, be it your spine or the back of your head. Or a backmount.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...

Edited by - Nihilanthic on November 11 2002 19:30:04
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."
  9. Michael

Posted On:
    11/11/2002 8:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well Nihalanthic, I hate to disagree with you but if you now your timing the back kick is beautifully powerful.

And since I haven't said anything today....boxing is the gayest MA art out there.

Two guys walk into a bar....ouch that's gotta hurt.

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    11/11/2002 9:02pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, its POWERFUL, but you have to turn your back to do it! And it has mechanics like a side-kick, and has the same weaknesses thereof. My issue with the back-turning is the fact that you telegraph it, and if its deflected or blocked you have to spin back around, and you're in a weak position. A front kick, or a side, can be powerful, too. And you're facing your opponent the whole time, and you aren't spinning around to telegraph it.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast