Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/07/2002 7:30am

Style: MMA-Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When i box i rush in , i have taken MT befor so i add those kicks in with a few TKD kicks, And i destroy my friend with my hands some times he thinks a kick is coming and wake a punch will come like 5 times and he falls. Also Another reason TKD dos so bad vs boxers they dont usealy train for full contact and go for chest , All boxers need to do is run in usally i have to run straight then go 45degrees to my right to avoid a kick and now hes on the run...

Shawn
    Once a fighter, Always a fighter. Shawn
    -Styles i train in-
    Judo
    Bjj
    Mtkickboxing
    Western boxing
    Wrestling

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/08/2002 12:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    as if boxers never punch balls.

tkd is far more limited than boxing. tkd guys aren't taught to cheat as well as boxers either.

Posted On:
    11/09/2002 12:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TKD guys if they use their feet to kick the balls have distance on their side.
    Weather tkd is taught to cheat or not that has more to do with training than the arts itself.

PEACE!
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2002 12:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey everyone, check out these pages:

www.angelfire.com/sd2/kingofsanda/boxing.html/
    www.sanshou.org/docs/sanvbox.html

They talk about a matchup between 9 boxers and 9 kung fu fighters that happened in december 1999. The kung fu guys won 7 out of 9 matches.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2002 8:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the advantage of distance is negated by the fact that you can't throw rapid combos with your feet. a boxer may take one kick, but if he's smart he will get inside.

philo, i'd seen those before. san shou isn't exactly kung fu, it looks more like muay thai.
  6. 9chambers

Posted On:
    11/09/2002 11:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    but then there is the fact that one kick is worth about a dozen punches because your leg is way stronger than your arm.

.. depending on the target, a punch to the balls is as good as a kick to the balls because well, its your balls.

what if the boxer bites your ear? what then?
  7. 9chambers

Posted On:
    11/09/2002 11:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    but then there is the fact that one kick is worth about a dozen punches because your leg is way stronger than your arm.

.. depending on the target, a punch to the balls is as good as a kick to the balls because well, its your balls.

what if the boxer bites your ear? what then?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2002 7:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i forgot all about boxing's esoteric ear biting techniques. but i disagree with you about one kick being worth a dozen punches. i've never seen a single kick end a fight (unless its too the head, which is hard to pull off). but, what rules are we talking about? mma? no ball shots anyway. street fight? if so, why would they be starting at kicking range? "man, i'm gonna kick your ass...just let me back up here so i can do a butterfly kick..."

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    11/09/2002 7:38pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Punches are already "up there", and you can use your whole body for weight and leverage into a punch. As far as your jaw is concerned, punches suffice quite well. And with both legs on the floor you are more mobile, and you get to put leverage into all techniques. Kicks should only be used if you can afford to give up mobility and balance - or at the end of a combo if they're open to it (those thai low roundhouses are great after making someing clam up with a high/mid guard)

The TKD guy would be constantly putting himself off of balace kicking - a smart boxer would just plow through it and attack the TKD artist. Inside, a boxer attacking a TKD artist is like swatting a fly with a slege hammer. TKD seems to only be apt with extreme-long range kicks, and is geared towards obvious, fast, flashy technique (GREAT FOR POINT SPARRING!)

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2002 4:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys make it sound as if a TKD fighter is limited to his kicks, that's baloney. I work out with a wooden man, a speed bag and a headache bag. I work just as much on my hand techniques as my kicks. I think that's the problem, many TKD fighters use their legs with the thought that it allows them to keep a safe distance. There are very few situations on the street that I would use a kick, unless it was to the groin, knee or common peronnial nerve. Like someone said earlier, people believe what they see on tv. The poor idiot standing still while the "good guy" winds up a jump spin crescent kick is not likely to be your opponent in a street confrontation. In my opinion, a street fight is won or lost in about 20 seconds, that's when your stamina begins to fade. If you haven't made your move by then, you are probably in trouble. You just have to do the best you can to size up your attacker.
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast