Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 4:32pm

Style: I request to be banned

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Maynard to Fight in MMA (he has no arms or legs)

Well he has half arms and half legs, but you get the idea. This guy obviously has a mountain of heart, but I want to hear all your opinions.

Maynard to Fight in MMA

Date submitted: 25 July 2007
    Author: Brandon Brigman

Kyle Maynard has conquered numerous obstacles in his life and now he's going to tackle the sport of mixed martial arts.

Maynard, a 2004 Collins Hill grad, met with the Georgia Athletic and Entertainment Commission on Monday and heard comforting words about allowing him to compete in MMA.

"We went to the Georgia Athletic Commission, and they asked him a few questions and the result seemed positive," said Undisputed Productions fight promoter David Oblas.

"All he has to do now is decide if he wants to fight amateur or pro and turn in his application and $20 fee."

Maynard was born with a rare disorder called congenital amputation, which means he has no limbs from just above his elbows and just above his knees. His first fight is scheduled for Sept. 14 at Wild Bills Fight Night 11.

"Without a doubt I'm going to do this," Maynard said. "It's a sport that's a huge part of my life. I know what I'm getting into."

Maynard said he weighs 125 pounds but could move up to 135 if it would help him find an opponent.

"I think that's going to be the toughest part," Oblas said. "Some people see it as a lose-lose situation. If you lose to Kyle, then you lose to him. But if you beat him, then you beat someone with no arms or legs."

He now must decide if he wants to go amateur or pro.

"I'm still deciding what I'm going to do and will talk it over with my trainers," Maynard said. "Either way, I'm not going to have any special rules for me."

Maynard has been training in Brazilian jujitsu, one of the many disciplines in MMA, for two years. MMA also consists of judo, karate, boxing, kickboxing and wrestling.

He has an extensive background in wrestling while at Collins Hill where he was 35-16 his senior year and was one match away from placing at the state tournament.

In 2004, Maynard was the recipient of ESPN's Espy Award for the Best Athlete with a Disability and has been featured on TV shows such as HBO's "Real Sports" and "Oprah."

"I've followed Kyle's story, and this might be one of the biggest things he's done in his life," Oblas said.

"He's had two exhibition grappling matches for me. One in Athens and one at Wild Bill's and did very well in both of them."

For the past year, Maynard has been a motivational speaker at major corporations and schools. He recently bought a house with former Collins Hill teammate Cody Black near the Mall of Georgia, which makes his commute to Knuckle Up Fitness in Duluth rather short.

Word of Maynard's MMA fight has already been on several message boards and fans have had mixed reviews.

"People have already started asking should he be allowed to do this, is it good for the sport and what happens if he gets injured," Oblas said.

"Considering what he's done in the past, I don't think anyone can tell him no."

Which is why Maynard is going into his first MMA fight the way he's gone about everything else in his life - all out.

"There's already been a split down the middle and people are concerned if I should even be doing this," Maynard said. "I've faced opposition all my life and in football and wrestling. I plan on winning. I'm going into this 110 percent, and at the very least I, promise to put on a good show no matter how long the fight lasts."
    http://www.mmauniverse.com/news/SS1748

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 4:36pm

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wonder what the rules on head kicks would be, or strikes to the head on the ground (for amateur).

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 4:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringHeeledJack
    I wonder what the rules on head kicks would be, or strikes to the head on the ground (for amateur).
    I think they are similar to UFC rules, but with no elbows allowed (at least where I am). As for headkicks on him, I could see that being nasty, since he has no height it would be like giving a soccer kick to a fully able-bodied opponent.

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 4:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it possible to win via field goal?

I've seen video of him wrestling, and there he actually has some advantages. Maynard has the torso of a 170lb man and his opponents weigh far less. You sure can't single or double-leg him either. But what can he do when put up against a cage and punched like a heavy bag? Hell, maybe he has some tricks we've not seen. I'd love to see his first fight, but hope it isn't just a sideshow spectacle.

Diabolical Physiognomy

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 4:46pm

Style: Boxing; Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldarbong
    I think they are similar to UFC rules, but with no elbows allowed (at least where I am). As for headkicks on him, I could see that being nasty, since he has no height it would be like giving a soccer kick to a fully able-bodied opponent.
    No, GA amateur rules forbid head strikes on the ground. What I'm saying though, is would it be okay to hit him in the head at all during a match? I mean, would he ever be considered to be standing up? How in the **** could you hit him standing anyway? I'm not trying to mock the guy, but I don't see how this would work.

I almost made a joke about the "gloves-required" rule, but that would be in poor taste.

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
    King, and lord of sin and pride
    With some mist his wits make dark.
    He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! ************.

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 4:49pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Insert some joke about Pride FC rules*

I can't see this happening. Great for him to step up, but I can't see anyone taking him.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 4:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringHeeledJack
    No, GA amateur rules forbid head strikes on the ground. What I'm saying though, is would it be okay to hit him in the head at all during a match? I mean, would he ever be considered to be standing up? How in the **** could you hit him standing anyway? I'm not trying to mock the guy, but I don't see how this would work.

I almost made a joke about the "gloves-required" rule, but that would be in poor taste.
    I have no clue how it would work either. I assume that Maynard doesn't want the rules changed unless they absolutely have to. The athletic commission seems to have approved him, so I guess it is up to the fight show to decide if he can't fight because of not being able to wear gloves.

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 4:57pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...will he be allowed to byte?

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 5:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone actually giving this man a fight would be doing MMA a huge disservice.

MMA: The sport about kicking the **** out of cripples!

Posted On:
    8/08/2007 5:19pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish him luck.

If he beats someone though, i hope that person does not lose respect.

Someone has to step up for him to fight.
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast