Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    11/09/2009 10:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    You think Shields wouldn't look out of place fighting either Anderson Silva or GSP?
    Shields' fight against Mayhem actually very closely resembled GSP's. They both dominated positionally, though unable to finish, and were caught in very close submissions.

Given that Shields beat Okami, who until recently was a top contender for the belt at 185, it's hard to argue he'd be lost in that division. Though I think he'd lose to Silva (he's pretty undersized at middleweight) excellent wrestling, Jiu Jitsu and no inclination to 'stand and bang' whatsoever make him a worse match up for Anderson than almost all of the UFC's current 185 division.
    Last edited by PointyShinyBurn; 11/09/2009 10:53am at .

Posted On:
    11/09/2009 12:49pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You think Shields wouldn't look out of place fighting either Anderson Silva or GSP?
    I'd love to see a Shields/GSP fight.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2009 1:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    shields has called out gsp for 2-3 years, before shields moved to 185.
    and most middleweights look out of place fighting anderson silva, because dude cuts like 35 pounds to defend his title.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2009 1:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kambei Shimada View Post
    I still think Dream is a much better promotion though, they've just gotta learn to keep hold of their fighters.
    Dream is starting to share fighters with strikeforce, so hopefully this'll turn out better.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    11/09/2009 1:57pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Shields' fight against Mayhem actually very closely resembled GSP's. They both dominated positionally, though unable to finish, and were caught in very close submissions.

Given that Shields beat Okami, who until recently was a top contender for the belt at 185, it's hard to argue he'd be lost in that division. Though I think he'd lose to Silva (he's pretty undersized at middleweight) excellent wrestling, Jiu Jitsu and no inclination to 'stand and bang' whatsoever make him a worse match up for Anderson than almost all of the UFC's current 185 division.
    Mayhem fought GSP over 4 years ago though. GSP isn't even close to the same fighter as he was then, so it's tough to use that fight as a measuring stick. Everything about his game has improved dramatically since then.

As for the Okami fight, I'd say that's probably an example of styles making fights. Okami is a wrestler with good GnP, but Shields is a much better wrestler. Okami's last fight showed that paired against a better wrestler his game suffers dramatically. Shield's problem in the UFC MW division wouldn't be one of ability so much as size though IMO.

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    11/09/2009 2:04pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa View Post
    It is kind of funny that people are talking about Daley as some legitimate threat in the UFC but Shields submitted him with a one-arm mounted guillotine.
    Nick Thompson got subbed with the one-arm Guillotine; Daley got armbarred in the second round after Shields made a sloppy attempt in the first and got reversed.

Daley is a legitimate mid-card threat in the UFC because his wrestling isn't awful and he's not completely helpless on the ground, and he's very dangerous standing up. The top tier will still wrestle him furiously, however, and he's no real threat to GSP. Shields is even less of a threat to GSP because his wrestling and top game are the only things he has, and his wrestling isn't good enough. It would look like GSP/Hughes, essentially - Shields has just as little standup as Hughes, a basically equivalent bottom game, and I don't think he's a significantly better wrestler. He has a better top game than Hughes but against GSP that's basically irrelevant.

He also submitted Lawler, quickly, who many were contending would do well at 185 in the UFC (which I would disagree with).
    Anyone contending Lawler would do well at 185 in the UFC is dumb enough to be excluded from discussion.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    11/09/2009 2:37pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gonzomalan View Post
    shields has called out gsp for 2-3 years, before shields moved to 185.
    and most middleweights look out of place fighting anderson silva, because dude cuts like 35 pounds to defend his title.
    Anderson Silva doesn't cut anymore to make middleweight than guys like Hendo, Franklin, Marquadt etc.

Shields also only moved to 185 because there isn't sufficient competition at 170 outside of the UFC.

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    11/09/2009 3:11pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me clarify. Shields would likely be destroyed by GSP. He's not physical enough to hang with him. But I don't have any problem putting him above guys like Swick and Kampmann, both of him are, or were, supposedly next in line for the title. And if the UFC did sign Shields do you have any doubt that he'd get fast tracked to a title shot?

Posted On:
    11/09/2009 3:21pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bornsceptic View Post
    He's not physical enough to hang with him.
    What the **** is this sentence supposed to mean? :englishmo

Posted On:
    11/09/2009 3:32pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fighting Cephalopod View Post
    Shields [ ... ] wrestling and top game are the only things he has, and his wrestling isn't good enough [ to compete with GSP ].
    I agree with your assessment concerning the likely outcome, but I'd still enjoy watching them conduct the exercise.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51112131415 16171819 ... LastLast