na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na

Can't touch this (or I'll sue)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 11:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sley View Post
    I'm sorry but from what I've now seen on this art, this is the third worst case of bullshido I have ever seen.
    Oh, I agree. Primo quality bullshit. The fact that they started from a valid premise just makes their conclusions all the more ridiculous. They don't even realise that KCD exists in a hermetically sealed bubble that prevents testing of their theories. A practicioner of KCD - up to "Grandmaster" Perkins himself - has genuinely bought into the whole street vs. sport, "too deadly to spar" fantasyland.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 2:13pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The sad thing is this...

The woman who wrote the piece for Time Out, as nice as she was, knew nothing about martial arts. This really irked me that a person was writing a piece on "self-defense" training had no basis from which to assess what she was doing and watching. I had a similar experience with a writer from the NY Times Style Section. Yet, bullshido articles get criticized for not being legit "press" even though our pieces are researched and investigated by experts in their fields, and the NY Times and Time Out would get a nod for being legit "press".

In any event, in the class she sat in on at our club, we practiced falls and rolls, some basic throws and defense against G&P in guard, worked escape drills from the bottom positions, etc (I worked with one of my female students to make a point that training is not just for dudes). All were live resistance drills (no full sparring though). The author could not continue after about 20 minutes - after the warm-up and some movement drills on the mat. I also think she was not comfortable with getting physically up close and personal in the class. She was also a former gymnast and kept trying to make all her movements aesthic and pretty...LOL.

So, at one point after stopping, while watching the rest of the class she asks me "So, when will you start the self-defense training"? How do you answer this...LOL? I had to give her the cliff notes version of active resistance training vs. RBSD bullshit lecture. Her eyes popped out of her head when I said most "self-defense" programs for women are bullshit that succer money from women and enstill false confidence.

I don't fault her since she had no experience and was victim to the same myths all noobs are, but my class was the last she attended which apparently was the only class that actually made people work against resistance. She was a victim of the "self-defense myth" and propganda that so many instructors throw out there. The other instructors gave her what she expected...eye pokes, groin strikes, training for the street, etc. This is what she believes "self-defense" training is...a few cool tricks, not serious ongoing training against resistance.

To her credit, I thought her description of our club was OK and you can see that she thought it was tough and serious. But, I am not shocked that she bought the RBSD BS from the other classes.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 9:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you show her the knife (or was it a boxcutter?) that student gave you after he was mugged? That might have started some sort of thought process.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    10/30/2009 9:41pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicko1 View Post
    Did you show her the knife (or was it a boxcutter?) that student gave you after he was mugged? That might have started some sort of thought process.
    No, but I told her the story.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12